GameClub Mage Gauntlet (by Rocketcat Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Oct 19, 2011.

1. SirDarkened

SirDarkened Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2009
    Ha srsly?
    Where do I live?
    After this huge rehaul update. So expect it a long time from now.

2. JackMule

JackMule Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2011
    Ah, never looked at that before. Thanks!

3. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Here's my thought process IN ITS ENTIRETY:

Later than we thought, as this universal/tweak update is getting pretty big. To be honest, I'm not sure exactly when.

If the universal version brings in a lot more iPad sales, we could probably focus on the Arena Mode update, then use stuff we do in Arena Mode to test out the spin-off game.

If it doesn't really bring in more sales, we'd probably go straight to spin-off game work. In that case, the content update for Mage Gauntlet would probably be timed to come out at around the same time as the spin-off trailer is ready, for maximum next-game promotion.

Depending on how much people like Drudge Arena Mode, we could probably do another arena mode after that. Once again, probably timed to come out at the same time as another game, for maximum exposure. Though that depends on how well the spin-off does... if it's a massive hit, all updates would probably go towards that game, due to being built for easier updating.

4. Teh_Ninja

Teh_Ninja Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Waiter at Chili's
    Dallas
    Awesome thanks!

5. Brokendemo

Brokendemo Active Member

Aug 26, 2011
    You may have already answered this somewhere in the other 114 pages, but will the universal update bring iCade compatibility as well? I like the game a lot but feel the best play experience will be with physical controls. Excellent work!

6. SirDarkened

Dec 20, 2009
    Ha srsly?
    Where do I live?
    This has never been asked before and I feel that with all of the new additions/changes coming there might not be time for this in the next update.

You never know though.

7. Bertman

Bertman Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Kepa are you happy with the way the game is selling? One of my favorite games this year just wondering if it did well for you.

8. Ashflow

Ashflow Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2011
    MI
    #1148 Ashflow, Nov 6, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
    Actually, I think it was asked before. Might have been on Twitter, though. Let me try to find it...
    Took FOREVER:
    This quote is from Twitter, just so you know.

9. SirDarkened

Dec 20, 2009
    Ha srsly?
    Where do I live?
    Lmao. I don't follow their twitter. I like this better. Less scrolling and much more information. Not enough information in that stupid 160 (or is it more now?) character count.

10. Ashflow

Jan 9, 2011
    MI
    lol, yeah. The search didn't show anything up, so I was forced to scroll through days of tweets (and Kepa's really active...). I only use it to follow devs and Hodapp :p

What exactly is the Drudge Arena? Is it like the boss area (confined space) with endless drudges? I don't even know what it is and I'm excited for it :p

Last thing: the spin-off shouldn't take too long to finish, right? Like a month, maybe? (And will there be a bard named Jepp Starcloak in it? Maybe a dwarven bellydancer, an elven janitor, or a screaming gnome?)

11. SirDarkened

Dec 20, 2009
    Ha srsly?
    Where do I live?
    Want it to be based off the adventurer and his team. (Some will get this)

12. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Drudge Arena is a confined space with endless waves of drudges. As you get further in the waves, the harder drudges appear and in greater numbers. We'll also make some new nightmare variants for later waves. Random waves will be rest waves that spawn spell urns and a health urn, and there will be a leaderboard for how many points people get before dying. Finally, there will be new loot items for reaching certain waves.

Spin-off will take at least a couple months, probably more. The BIG DEAL with the spinoff is, even though we're reusing a lot of content, it's going to be our first game with true random content generation. Plus, we want to make it fancy.. multiple player classes to balance, changing a lot of the monster AI so everything's different, making sure Jepp Starcloak makes an appearance, etc.

It did (and is doing) fairly well. I'm still really disappointed by how it ended up being 20.4 MB (over the cellular download limit) after the review process recompressed it. After the first update was approved, it instantly shot down to 15.6 or whatever it is now. As soon as that happened, the download numbers shot up to double due to people finally able to download it over cellular.

I imagine if it was like that in the first place, we really could have benefited from it shooting up (somehow) to the top 25 near release, plus all the positive coverage we got would have most likely gone even further.

13. Ashflow

Jan 9, 2011
    MI
    #1153 Ashflow, Nov 6, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
    That's a lot longer than I guessed, but it makes sense if you're creating a truly random dungeon generator in addition to all the other improvements. Everything else sounds good to me!

Could you tell us how many journals/books there are altogether in Story Mode? (Possibly even per area...?) I'd like to be able to keep track of how many I get when I go back through the game to find whatever I missed.

Edit: Just thought of one more thing- Is the random generator thing something you'll be able to reuse in games even if they aren't RPGs (e.g. Would you be able to use the random generator for a game like Hook Worlds?) Seems like a lot of extra work if that's not the case.

14. bastband

bastband Well-Known Member

May 14, 2010
    England
    Lost iap's

I have been playing this on my iPod touch and purchased all iap's (4). I purchased an iPhone 4s an the game is now asking me to start from the beginning and I have lost all my iap's. Have I done something wrong?

15. Ashflow

Jan 9, 2011
    MI
    To get the IAPs back (or to "restore" them), just buy them again. After you put in your password it'll say something about you already having it, and then it'll ask if you want to download it again for free. Contact Apple if that for some reason doesn't happen and you are forced to pay a second time.

16. nfong

nfong Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Anyone know if this still works if you got the Rocketcat Pack from buying the game early?

17. iVaro

iVaro Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Will the controls be the same as the first? I'd love if it would be a dual stick shooter

18. C.C

C.C Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Quick question. I bought the game during the weekend it came out but just started playing it today. Did the free IAPs require you to go into the black market and get them before the weekend was up? Or am I still able to get them somehow? Besides the obvious choice of buying them.

19. SirDarkened

Dec 20, 2009
    Ha srsly?
    Where do I live?
    Email, twitter, or PM Kepa.

According to him you should get them when you play as long as you played on that first weekend before Sunday at 12PM.

Since you didn't play you won't have them (they unlocked automatically).

So, your best bet is to pm him with some kind of proof and he will be able to give you the items.

20. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    It doesn't work. If you changed devices, just email me your UDID and I can flip it on for the new device.

Controls the same as the first, though we're experimenting to see if we can add one more button without cluttering the screen up. I'd like to do a dual stick shooter down the line, though, but one that's really RPG element heavy.

Mail me your UDID and I can flip it on.