GameClub Mage Gauntlet (by Rocketcat Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Thanks for the advice re: level order, y'all. Gonna go Temple, Cult, Crypt.

2. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Just featured on Attack of the Show. :)

3. Teh_Ninja

Teh_Ninja Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Waiter at Chili's
    Dallas
    Thank you :)

4. Nightmare13

Nightmare13 Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2010
    IT Programming
    Chicago, IL
    Everything except the Inferno Blade / Crystal Staff / Giantslayer / Glowing Sword right now is basically inferior to those 4. Bump up the odds for Hungry Blade a little bit and it might become more viable. Corruption is interesting but not quite good enough... maybe add some lingering poison style damage to it.

What exactly are the odds on Hungry Blade and Gambler's Cut anyway?

5. SirDarkened

SirDarkened Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2009
    Ha srsly?
    Where do I live?
    Kings should be .08 or whatever, would be nice to be .05 but do 3 electric strikes 30% of the time. 50% of the time only does one? Would this be OP?

Punishment should be changed. Not sure to what but its quite lame. You need to make more combos useful (Glowing sword/old pendant). Currently almost all of the armor is garbage.

Corruption should do acid spell. It's utterly useless once you receive End of Hope.

6. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Right now I'm thinking King's will do less physical damage than a normal sword (so most things will take an extra hit to kill), but have a rather high chance to do an 8-directional shockwave proc, with everything it touches getting hit for 1.5x damage.

I was already thinking of changing Corruption to having a chance to do a mini-acid cloud. Maybe I'd just buff the slow component of End of Hope to compensate, to make it more in line with the current BIG 4 of swords.

Gambler's Cut and Hungry Blade actually have a pretty high chance to proc, it's just that they're limited to only working a few times per level. Hungry works 6 times per level (so restores up to 3 hearts) and Gambler's works twice.

No idea what to do with Punishment. Maybe make the punishment proc also do a knockdown stun?

The armor's crap for the most part, but I can't really improve that this game. Focus on the weapons. Everyone: Tell me what weapons you'd like to see buffed or altered completely, and it just might happen.

7. SirDarkened

SirDarkened Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2009
    Ha srsly?
    Where do I live?
    Exactly what I had in mind.

Yes, do this.

As well make Gambler's Cut work 4 times a level instead of 2. Low spell count in Master Mode might make this useful, otherwise it's currently useless. The Hungry Sword is perfect, I use it all the time.

I suppose this will do won't be that great, but will help to compare it to the other items.

You are an incredible developer, I aspire to be like you one day.

Only other feedback I have is that some more detailed trinket descriptions would be nice. I can write them if you want. To show what the weapons ACTUALLY do. ;)

I still recall the days when a developer would push out a game and be stuck with it as the final product, even if it sucked, you had what you had and you had to be happy with it. Boy how is has changed in only 10 years...

8. Ariectus

Ariectus Active Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Florida
    #1108 Ariectus, Nov 4, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
    Maybe you could make one of the crappier weapons entirely different (or just add a new one) and have it be a short solid grappling hook? That way you don't have to mess with any physics, it can act like a mace or whatever, but at least theres a hook weapon in the game ;] The description could be something along the lines of somebody trying to gold plate their cherished hook and it not turning out so well so they have to bludgeon their way out of these damn temples and such instead of easily swinging their way to freedom

9. Ashflow

Ashflow Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2011
    MI
    In addition to all of the suggestions so far, I think the Magekiller could use a buff. The End of Hope already makes it obsolete, right? So I'd suggest switching its current ability to having a 25% chance to shoot out 3 ice shards in the direction Lexi's facing when she swings the sword. Maybe that's overpowered (the 25% chance), but I can't really test it, can I?

10. Werebite870

Werebite870 Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2011
    Suggestion

Love the idea of a gold hook as a weapon. Maybe that combined with some sort of gnome color changing costume could make an IAP set

11. Ashflow

Jan 9, 2011
    MI
    I too love that idea, just forgot to say before. Your addition is cool as well.

The color changing robe could let you do 100x more damage to ink wraiths! Think of the POWER! (To go along with Gnomey's completely overpowered ability, of course.)

12. JackMule

JackMule Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2011
    On the note about buffing weapons and things, Heavy Cleaver is arguably one of the best for me.

Hurgoth can simply be beaten with the Demon's Ring, any armour and for the most part any weapon you choose. Easiest way to beat him (works on Master Mode too) walk in, use 2~3 spells (save shadow bombs/fireballs), attack with sword. After he spawns, run around the small area around the edge killing the 1-hitters if need be, wait for him to spawn a second time (or third if you're boss), use either shadow bomb or two fireballs, attack hurgoth, then repeat. Hurgoth can easely be taken down with one life or maybe even 1 hit with this strategy.

13. JackMule

JackMule Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2011
    Another thing, the Husk Of Lich sucks. I'd prefer the stats and the battle armour (red one) over the Lich one even if the Lich one didn't have the -1 heart side-effect. It's fun to use with the 90% crit rate set up though (with Lich's Foot).

14. Ashflow

Jan 9, 2011
    MI
    AWESOME:
    [​IMG]

Their FB page has more concept art and really cool artwork. The mini-slimes are just pure awesome, though :D

15. justbanter

justbanter Member

Nov 11, 2009
    What is the "obscure secret" that was added in the recent update?

16. Ashflow

Jan 9, 2011
    MI
    There's a 1/1000 chance that Gnomey (a gnome from the last 2 hook games) will burst out of something you break.
    Find him 5 times and you'll be "rewarded" ;)

17. vibliribland

vibliribland Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2011
    I just found a Gnome, hit him a few times and he changed colour.
    Then I died before I could hit him enough I guess.

What is he for?

18. jar0d

jar0d Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2010
    Europe
    Hi everyone,

does someone got a gnome screen for us? Would love to see him in action ;)

19. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

Nice coverage from G4, that should boost sales.

20. Nightmare13

Nightmare13 Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2010
    IT Programming
    Chicago, IL
    Wait, End of Hope has a slow effect? o_O

Heavy Cleaver is definitely not one of the best weapons in any scenario. The damage buff and lower attack rate pretty much negate each other, while other weapons like the Giantslayer actually end up much stronger while retaining a normal attack rating. To be honest, I'd rather use a normal sword than Heavy Cleaver because it gives enemies less of a chance to hit me in between swings (like in Crypt-3 when I'm basically just standing and wailing on Zombies as they approach me).

IMO if you want Heavy Cleaver to have an advantage, it needs a range and knockback bonus. Give it a wider and longer arc than other sword swings, and corruption's current effect of extra knockback. Then it really behaves like a big, massive battle axe.

King's Wager: I like the Shockwave proc idea.

End of Hope: I thought this was just Punishment + Magekiller. There's a slow also? What exactly does it do? Also I feel like maybe it's criticals should be buffed to do 3x or 4x damage, since you can't critical until they charge an attack (at which point you're promoting a reckless play style).

Corruption: Acid Cloud is clearly the best option here. Acid Cloud isn't as good as Fireball / Earth Spike though (generally), so I might even suggest keeping the cloud normal sized, or buffing the proc chance.

Punishment + Magekiller: Strictly inferior to End of Hope, no? I don't really see much of a reason to buff this, except maybe give it the same crit boost that I suggested to End of Hope. They'll still be strictly inferior, but that seems to be sort of the point.

I know you said weapons, but you could easily do the same kind of thing with armors and give them a chance to proc when hit. Something like 33%, since you get hit a lot less than you swing your sword, of course. One could cast a small Shadow Bomb and teleport you to relative safety, or one could cast the new and improved time circle, or even an Ultralucky. Just some food for thought.