GameClub Mage Gauntlet (by Rocketcat Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Nightmare13

Nightmare13 Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2010
    IT Programming
    Chicago, IL
    Maybe 1.5 seconds, but not 1. With a 1 second buff, maybe you're fast enough to hang onto those buffs while you clear a room, but they're generally going to disappear before you reach the next room. And if that's the case, then your buff is still strictly inferior to something like Fireball, since you still risk taking damage with the buff skill up.

Please try to get to the note tracker, since I'm holding off on Shadow Sleuth. I've got to imagine that your save data already tracks which ones you've read—there's no other way the achievement could possibly work—so it probably wouldn't be too much work to implement this. I know a lot of other players would be happy with this change, as well.

Forgot about "WHAAM!". I do feel like that description is completely arbitrary, since the player is given absolutely zero information about how much damage a sword swing does... so you can't even estimate which enemies have enough health to take down. Unfortunately, I don't think that's something that can really be changed easily, without adding some kind of complex beastiary.

Anyway, I think that I unlocked it on those primal slimes in Slime Temple story mode. Just use the Heavy Cleaver + Rage Talisman and smack a couple of them until you get a crit. That might even be overkill itself.

No, the castle listed in the notes is definitely the estate. I've gotten the secret in there, so it is there. But maybe correcting that note would be a good idea.

Absolutely no reason why adding a tracking feature would have to start everyone from 0, since Shadow Sleuth isn't technically "bugged." Your save data must be already tracking which ones you've read and which ones you haven't. And since that's the case, there's also no reason for it to be as simple a counter as you describe. The game has to track which ones you've found and not just the number that you've read (or else you'd be able to read the same one over and over), so the notification might as well be area-based at the very least so you have some sort of indication where to look.

2. SirDarkened

SirDarkened Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2009
    Ha srsly?
    Where do I live?
    That didn't work. The one about the eyeball didn't work either... :(. Those are the two easy achievements I am failing to get.

3. PixyJunket

PixyJunket Well-Known Member

You're welcome. I'm a very seasoned gamer and I think you are too for a couple of reasons. One, it seems great care was made to ensure the crisp pixel art translated well to the "retina" screen, as opposed to letting the device ruin it with softening filters. Two, it seems EXTREME care was made to the controls. I am at the point now where I refuse to buy iOS games with virtual dpads/buttons. I made a strange exception for MG for whatever reason and I was surprised, the controls are probably the best on the device. Congrats on that. You should really license out your control scheme to other iOS developers.

Yes. Sad to say that I've found Gnomey somewhere between eight and ten times at this point.

4. Nightmare13

Jul 13, 2010
    IT Programming
    Chicago, IL
    I'm pretty sure that was how I got it. Keep in mind that you need to defeat them in one swing, not just do 30+ damage in a swing, so you need that critical the first time you actually hit the enemy and he needs to die.

If that still doesn't work, maybe Kepa can shine more light on it.

I edited my previous post about the eyeball one. The easiest way is just to use the phoenix feather and let one of the eyeballs kill you. Make sure you're close enough for the feather explosion to kill him and you should get the achievement.

5. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    ya

I remember getting the eyeball achievement from just shooting one that wasn't fully onscreen. I'll check it out and see a good strategy. The WHAAM achievement is really just pumping up your crit a lot and then fighting things that usually take 3 hits with a normal sword to take down. Orc Forest small axe orcs are a good one, or the red skeletons in Ashen.

I guess I could change that text a little.

Your achievements should have transferred over. We store achievement data in the game itself and its browser. We'll be putting in icons for each level saying if there's notes in it, and if you've already found all notes in it. I think someone else has had this problem, but eventually the achievements just popped up for him in GameCenter.

1.5 seconds is more likely, yeah. Or maybe just making the buff spells a little rarer? Though it may be the case that I just do nothing at all, since the buff spells needed improving, anyway. I've always just been paranoid about making the buffs too good, which is why they're so crappy right now.

Yeah, heavy cleaver, get your crit % up, fight things that usually take 3 swings to kill.

6. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Just like a few others, I just tried getting through the story mode asap..and finally got to the master mode and like it a lot more. As everyone has mentioned, the pacing, length of levels, the number of monsters and more magic makes the game much more fun. And as a few mentioned, its more fun for me to just skip looking for the secret areas.

I barely got to the third screen of levels and boy are some of the levels hard. ;) I only completed Ashen Cult 1 & 2. I really struggled on 1 & 3 (currently trying to pass it)..the beginning feels really tough especially with not as many magic urns around. I think the hardest enemies for me so far are those big cow enemies that shoot fire/ice balls and that "half-circle" area of effect spells. Heres to more practicing.

7. SirDarkened

Dec 20, 2009
    Ha srsly?
    Where do I live?
    This took 10 seconds after reading this. Simply use the heavy cleaver, Lich's Foot, and Husk of the Lich. Go to Orc Forest GOLD in story mode, find the first orc that swings his axe at you and crit him. Wham achievement unlocked.

The eyeball one still is quite tough to get. :(

8. Ashflow

Ashflow Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2011
    MI
    I remember when I was trying to get this achievement: I went to a place where I knew an eyeball was, but didn't go so far that I could see him (AT ALL), and used a fireball as close to the edge of the screen as I could get. Worked like a charm.

Sidenote: Kind of got lucky with WHAM, as I wasn't even trying to get it. I believe I had the axe, but I didn't have any trinkets or armor that would have helped for it...

9. SirDarkened

Dec 20, 2009
    Ha srsly?
    Where do I live?
    Going to do this tonight, know exact map/spot to do this. Going to use the thing that makes fireball pop up more. Will get back to you on this.

Then I have to find all of the books ;P.

10. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Any advice on which level to play first on the 3rd screen? Was wondering if playing them in a certain order was the ideal MG experience.

Also, I know there's been discussion of a counter for books found (1/13). Would it be possible to have an indication of which stars have been earned on each sub-level and which still need doing? I've got 1 or 2 stars on a bunch of levels and would like to know which ones have secrets I still need to find and which ones I didn't kill all the enemies or died on. Don't know if that makes sense or how hard it would be to implement.

Thanks in advance for any advice/info. Keep rockin', Kepa.

11. SirDarkened

Dec 20, 2009
    Ha srsly?
    Where do I live?
    Stars work like this.

1 star = win the level
    2 stars = kill all enemies
    3 stars = kill all enemies and DONT DIE

there are no stars for finding secrets.

12. Teh_Ninja

Teh_Ninja Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Waiter at Chili's
    Dallas
    I found the "King's Wager" what is so special about it?

13. Ashflow

Jan 9, 2011
    MI
    I don't know, but, ironically, that was the main sword I used until I bought the Inferno Blade :p

14. Quazonk

Quazonk Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    A certain well known Toucharcade competitor just named Mage Gauntlet game of the month! Congrats team Rocketcat! Says a lot about the game since this wasn't exactly a shallow month of game releases. Way to go guys, truly deserving of the accolades.

15. SirDarkened

Dec 20, 2009
    Ha srsly?
    Where do I live?
    It apparently does 1x damage with a 50% chance to hit 1.5x damage. Not totally sure. Kepa can clarify.

16. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Damn, I think I knew that already and know it's been asked/answered a whole bunch of times. But thanks anyway for the patient reply.

Anyone have thoughts on the best order of levels for 3rd page or doesn't it matter much? Thanks in advance.

17. Ashflow

Jan 9, 2011
    MI
    #1097 Ashflow, Nov 3, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
    It doesn't matter in the slightest.

I actually did the first two levels of each before really getting ready to take on each one's gold level, but it honestly doesn't matter whatsoever.

EDIT:Talking about Master Mode in that last sentence. In story mode I went Cult>Crypt>Temple

18. Nightmare13

Jul 13, 2010
    IT Programming
    Chicago, IL
    It doesn't matter. Slime Temple was the easiest in my opinion on Master Mode. Crypt 1 and 2 were pretty easy as well. Ashen Cult 1 and 3, and Crypt 3 are the hardest.

19. SirDarkened

Dec 20, 2009
    Ha srsly?
    Where do I live?
    No problem. It doesn't "matter" but I honestly believe there is an order.

Temple, Cult, then Crypt. Won't effect the plot line, that's order of difficulty imo for story mode, and it seems the most logical order for the levels to be in.

20. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    It does random amounts of damage between 1x (normal sword damage) and 1.5x (the same damage Heavy Cleaver does), with no downsides.

The problem is that it's really subtle and therefore sort of LAME. I'm thinking of making it do 0.8x damage (weaker than normal), but have a high chance of instantly casting a spell (like what the Inferno Blade and Crystal Staff do).

Are there any other weapons that seem underpowered right now? Since people like the Inferno Blade/Crystal Staff so much, I'm thinking of changing some other swords to be more like those. Would be easy to do.

Look at the old weapons and suggest any changes to buff them up, keeping the above in mind.