GameClub Mage Gauntlet (by Rocketcat Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    - Yeah, I responded to this a little while back, we decided not to do this due to not wanting to clutter up the already limited screen space. I think we'll end up having to do it for the next game, though. Maybe in an update for this one, too, but I'm not sold on it quite yet.
    - The magic stat is great for nuking bosses, but in general combat you're better off with vigor or luck, yeah.
    - Level caps at 75, because you run out of stats to increase anyway.

2. DahakaJR

DahakaJR Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2010
    I drive trains, Locomotive Engineer.
    Pacific Northwest.
    Thanks New England Gamer.

3. Dazarath

Dazarath Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    Odd, I was connected to wifi the whole time (even got the Cat pet and hats), but it wouldn't let me access the Black Market. After resetting my iPhone, the game then found the IAPs just fine. Here's $4 more as thanks for a great game.

4. Rad

Rad Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Washington
    The Rocket Cat Fan pack says $1.99 I thought this was free for early buyers?

5. LawLessLove

LawLessLove Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Wish I could do that.

6. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    No worries, it was easier than trying to remember what they were for exactly on my own!

7. LawLessLove

LawLessLove Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Will I lose the Fan pack, if I reinstall after the promotion?

8. Rad

Rad Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Washington
    Never mind I switched from 3G to Wifi. Killed game, restarted and all is unlocked, Thanks. Great in game Music!

9. Ghouls'R'us

Ghouls'R'us Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2011
    Enjoying myself immensely. Some quick comments:

• Color palette is a bit plain to my taste. Maybe this was done purposely, but I can't help but yearn for Squaresoft's bright spectrum, as seen in the Mana series and Chrono Trigger.
    • The black outline around sprites again darkens the visuals significantly.
    • The difference in pixel resolution between text and sprites is, to me, a slight annoyance by its inconsistency. I'm not sure if I'd want the text in a lower-res though, because of the degradation in readability.
    • Live mini-map in a corner, similarly to what was suggested above, would be a wonderful idea that improve the experience.
    • The overall level of destroyability is... addicting, and slightly ridiculous (in a good way.)
    • I'm still a bit early in the game, but level design seems mostly well thought out and inspired.
    • It plays great on the iPad. I don't see what's holding back a universal release, but sometimes it's the little things a mere player doesn't necessarily see.
    • I'm of the opinion that pure unfiltered lower-res pixelized graphics are a bit too crude, especially when viewed on the bigger iPad screen. I know it's part of the whole Rocketcat style, but I'd wish for a nice HQ filter.

A common token to a great game is that it's hard to put down. This is definitely one of them.

10. plasmakirby3

plasmakirby3 Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Junior in High School
    Northern California
    Quoted for emphasis.

11. jjjmedia

jjjmedia Well-Known Member

May 27, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    I think they said that it wasn't released as universal at launch because they only recently got an iPad, and a universal update is at the top of their list.

12. sdmiracle

sdmiracle Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2010
    one quick question before i buy: i need to connect to the internet to get the free iap now?

and it will disappear if i delete it and reinstall right?

13. Trysis3

Trysis3 Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2009
    i think the menu needs more animations ,i also dont like the look of the sky .
    otherwise great game so far :)

14. Wizard_Mike

Wizard_Mike Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Texas
    Ok, this game is pure gold. It's like a tried to charge my iPad in the SNES cartridge slot and it came out with a touch controlled 16bit masterpiece.

I love the movement, combat, spell casting... It all feels smooth and polished. Some people complain about having to pause to look at the map, but I like it that way. Takes me back to the golden age of gaming where hitting the start button to check your location was as natural as breathing. Besides, while you're running around you'll want to be looking out for hidden little cubbyholes and passages, not guiding a little arrow through a minimap.

If you don't have this game yet, i suggest you rectify your unfortunate situation as quickly as possible.

15. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    We flipped a coin about making the text the same pixel size or not, with the same thought processes as you guessed.

Programmer was actually thinking of doing an HQ filter, but I really don't like them. The universal version got held back because we wanted iPads to make sure it was done correctly. Got mine just recently.

You have until late night Sunday to connect. It's the discount that ends late Friday.

It will disappear if you delete and reinstall, though we'll look into ways to prevent that. Worst case scenario you can contact us and we can restore it manually.

16. jeffmd

jeffmd Active Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Add me to the "really like" list... and It takes alot for me to really like an ios game. Simple controls yet I never feel I can't move how I want too. Spells are frequent enough that I don't feel bad if I blow one on trash, but atm I haven't really gone up against trash that really needed it yet.

Many secret paths for those like me who like to discover the hidden secrets.. although aside from alot of destructible, nothing found hidden in them so kind of a let down there.

Art has a very chrono trigger feel to it and thats nice. I am not really a big fan of the pixel doubling technique but atleast theres still enough detail to not look ugly.

Seems like a really good pick up and put down game for quick jaunts which is always a plus on portables. I also expect even more maps can be added easily to continue the journey

17. sdmiracle

sdmiracle Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2010
    thanks, sold.

18. Stereomastery

Stereomastery Member

Oct 20, 2011
    #218 Stereomastery, Oct 20, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
    [​IMG]

I'm wondering, how do I get to the secret area next to me? I'm the orange blip.
    Looked all around and can't find a way in, there are mobs there too.

19. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    IMPORTANT POLL THIS IS NOT A TEST THIS IS REAL DO NOT PANIC:

Does anyone care if we remove OpenFeint temporarily? And by temporarily I mean like first update, maaaybe even longer. It's acting up in some annoying ways and removing it would let people download it over cellular.

JeffMD: Oh you'll get to a point where you'll want to blow a spell on trash. There's also some secrets with special art or loot, but yeah most just have an extra urn.

20. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    Remove it permanently for all I care. :rolleyes: