iPad Mafia: Respect and Retaliation?

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by MaskU2See, Feb 6, 2009.

1. MaskU2See

MaskU2See Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2008
    Philly, USA
    #1 MaskU2See, Feb 6, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
    Just when i thought i was safe enjoying iMafia, another contender joins in....
    By the descriptions, it looks like another one of those popularity mob wars, like iMob and Mafia Live.

That is the only reason i only have iMafia on my iPhone, none of this "accept members to win fights" bs.

Is this one like that?

Anyone try this?

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=303588715&mt=8

2. DanM

DanM Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    England
    Bah enough with the mafia apps :(
    Good job it's taking iMafia so long to bring out paid points as I no longer want to buy them. All I seem to do is buy a properties then in another 10 hours buy one or 2 more and so on...

3. McGill

McGill Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    yup...same ol' sh#t!

Another one where you buy "respect"...From $.99 (10 points) to
    $49.99 (1,250 points)...what a load of crap.

4. BrushMyNoseOff

BrushMyNoseOff Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2009
    Coach / Photographer
    NYC
    Never understood this genre of games, then again, we are all different. Paying extra for points seems a bit silly, though. I hope you guys are not shelling out real money for e-respect! :)

5. McGill

McGill Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    Wait...

I found some sort of coolness in this game. Under the training part, there's actually a shooting range where you actually use the accelerometer to aim & fire!!! Maybe worth diggin' around a little more...

6. Mr. Charley

Mr. Charley Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2008
    Ooooh, that's intriguing to say the least. Actually doing something that affects your development.
    Looks like I'll have to check this puppy out when I get home..
    Damn all you iPhone users who can just d/l where ever they are and get a head start on me!!! :D

7. Mr. Charley

Mr. Charley Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2008
    Can anyone confirm if this is another one where the goal is to have every friend, family and stranger as a "friend" in order to be successful?

8. jecebn

jecebn Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Kansas City, MO
    thats what i was about to ask. If this game is just about who can spam the most Im gonna have to pass. Although, from what Ive played, I really like this one

9. MaskU2See

MaskU2See Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2008
    Philly, USA

Sure seems like it...

I'm sticking with iMafia, seems to be a more logic based game.

10. illucius

illucius Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2008
    Yeah, this is pretty cool except that it is slow and has a delay which is quite annoying. The shooting range can actually help you gain experience to level up if you don't have any energy to do missions.

11. aprodigalson

aprodigalson Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    Since I've got a recent opening for audition in my apps list I've went ahead and picked it up. It's pretty slick in design though to be honest it feels a lot (a LOT) like iMob in horizontal form. Finding mob members by location, the don points, etc.

It also apparently uses location for something called geo-located jobs

The training seems like a nice little mini game. 15 shots to hit targets with an accelerometer controlled pistol. The points from hits go to improving your attack. Clever skill improvement technique if nothing else.

Hopefully, it's not going to be the same bug ridden mess that iMob turned into. I remember how much fun that was... the first day before it became widely known and server issues combined with game-breaking bugs spread like the plague.

12. pharmx

pharmx Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2009
    I think it's interesting to see where these mafia type games are heading. I'm waiting for the dev that get's the "lightbulb" over there head and uses the same game mechanics like imafia, mafia live, etc....but applies it to a different setting. There are a ton of games like that on facebook and myspace...so it's only a matter of time before you see those here as well. Instead of using the same "start as a simple thug and work your way up to a don", it would be refreshing to see something set in medieval times, outerspace, or hell even if it was a corporate setting where you work your way up from flipping burgers to becoming the ceo of a company.

I think if I could find a good developer, I'd finance the darn thing, lol

13. illucius

Dec 14, 2008
    I wonder how these geo-located jobs work exactly. I live in Canada, do I have to go to Mexico or something to be able to get certain jobs available?

14. aprodigalson

Jan 14, 2009
    It might be a good idea to change the title to include 'No Codes' because otherwise, I don't see this thread being very good for conversation much longer.

15. Chiller ONE

Chiller ONE Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    Is this like iMafia where you buy mobsters or is this an invite-fest like iMob?

16. aprodigalson

Jan 14, 2009
    Invite-Fest.

I'm not ready to vouch for the game, but it does bring a couple of different things to the table. At the low cost of zero, I don't really see any reason not to give it a look over.

17. aprodigalson

Jan 14, 2009
    #17 aprodigalson, Feb 7, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
    After messing with it for a few hours, I'd have to say I'm not completely sold yet but it has potential.

General

I dig the art style but the intro video of sgn gets old in a hurry. Also, I would love to be able to flip rotation. Since I primarily hold the Touch in my left hand, my fingers are left to dodge the volume rocker.

Navigating the menu is also a slight drag. You have to flick down just to see your news feed. The trouble comes in because if you let your finger linger a little too long on another button during the flick, you'll enter it. More than once, I've entered Training, costing me 1 endurance automatically, just when I wanted to see if I had any news updates.

News Feed should be visible at the top. Instead they have a nice 'The Don' button. I understand that they want to sell you points but I think 'The Don' button would have more prominence sharing space with the picture of your Hotel.

Also, because of my fear of lingering, that 'Reset' button at the very bottom of the scroll scares the hell out of me. It really should be nested in the profile somewhere.

Fighting and Hit Listing.

My real confusion right now is that there's no way to deal with someone in the hospital. This means, my hit list is filled with a bunch of injured people that I can't kill. Another interesting thing is that you set the targets price. Say I want a hit put on John Doe, I can set the price at 1 buck or a million. Novel, but the lack of a boot, fist, badge, etc is confusing.

Outside of leveling, my Fight list doesn't seem to refresh either. This doesn't keep playing very fresh as I'm sitting here looking at 6 people that either outclass me or are in the hospital.

Mob

I love the fact that you can remove people from your mob. Adding people is easy enough, 4 digit codes, email or by location. There is also an option to redeem.

Families

I'm not sure how perks are quantified yet. I'm a Guiliani (money-man) and my timer resets to 59 minutes... I guess it's possible I earn more on properties themselves, which would be different but I haven't played a different family so I have no basis for comparison. My inclination is that they just haven't activated the perks yet.

I know that I haven't been overly positive in my description but I've got to tell you. It's really got a decent amount of potential. Most of my quibbles are minor and either personal in nature or very easily remedied. I'd say that if you aren't ready to try the app, it might be worth watching.

18. abc

abc Member

Feb 8, 2009
    There's a spreadsheet started where you can add your friend code.

www.ri.ms/mafiarr

19. flyinb22

flyinb22 Member

Feb 7, 2009
    Properties

Been playing the game for a couple days now and have been making a bit of money that I divide between buying shop items and property for more income.
    Is it just me or is the barber shop the ONLY property worth owning. I am lvl 12 and now have a few extra properties available to me....Hotel, Auto Body, and Plumbing...but the initial cost compared to income is awful for these new ones...so I have just been buying a bunch of barber shops. Is there something I am missing. Maybe I will need the other properties for later jobs, but I really dont see the value in spending $500,000 for plumbing and only getting $9000 income...when a barber shop is 25,000 and gets $2500 income. Basically I can buy 20 barber shops for 1 plumbing and get $50000 income. So am I missing something here and just rambling on or are the rates really messed up.

Thanks

flyinb22
    Mafia R/R Code : 6134

20. illucius

Dec 14, 2008
    No, I think you're right, only the barbershop is worth owning so far. I've been wondering this myself. You'd think the more the price of a property is worth, the better return is should have but that doesn't seem to be the case for this game. I've got 21 barber shops now and only bought one other property because a job required it.