Macworld 2009 recap

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by brewstermax, Jan 7, 2009.

1. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

Well, since nobody else did, I made a thread. The last Macworld, and all we get is:

A new 17" MBP, glossy and matte
    New iWork and iLife '09
    DRM free downloads, 3 prices, and 3G music store.

Wow, and to think that something exciting was coming. I didn't like Phil's keynote, and honestly, I expected more. Steve to come out of the back, and finish it, or something. Big letdown.

2. DanM

DanM Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    England
    Aw, who even pays for music anyway?

3. spmwinkel

spmwinkel Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    I do. Just like I pay for my games.
    (I just don't get my music on iTunes, I like to have actual CDs in my collection.)

4. Talon Raines

Talon Raines Member

Jan 6, 2009
    Game Engineer
    Orlando, FL
    All we get? That's fantastic news for everyone. I've been waiting for that annoucement for a LONG time.

5. Herp

Herp Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Coram, New York
    Same here. Except now I need 150 dollars to "upgrade" my library with that new itunes function. :(

6. Talon Raines

Talon Raines Member

Jan 6, 2009
    Game Engineer
    Orlando, FL
    yeah, the upgrade charge is lame, but at least new purchases won't be locked down.

7. Herp

Herp Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Coram, New York
    Yeah, it really ticks me off.

8. BulletDev

BulletDev Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    produce applications under "Bullet Development"
    Vancouver, BC
    I pay for music.

9. Herp

Herp Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Coram, New York
    Second'd. :)

10. brewstermax

Most people. I use Amazon, but now that there are variable prices, and complete DRM-free, I'll probably use iTunes from now on. Nice to know that anything I get with iTunes, can be upgraded to DRM-free.

11. brewstermax

Honestly, and I know that everybody will disagree, but DRM isn't so bad. I mean, you can just play it on 5 computers, and only work on iPods. I don't see a big issue with that, but upgrading, even for a charge, at a higher bit rate, will be better, but I didn't mind the DRM. 3 prices, will be good, and I don't think that many songs will be priced at $1.29, but that is still dirt cheap, cheaper than a CD with the same number of songs.

12. Herp

Herp Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Coram, New York
    Yeah, I'm more excited about 256 bit-rate than no DRMs.

BTW, the "special offer" to upgrade your songs, is that temporary, or forever? Because I won't have any money to spend for a while now (Spent $800 in the past two months) and I'd like to plan accordingly. :)

13. Agreed. I am definitely more interested in the extra bitrate. Some of these tracks sound SO much better with 256kbps.

14. brewstermax

#14 brewstermax, Jan 7, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
    Almost positive that it is a permanent arrangement. I'd say that you can upgrade at anytime.

Me too. I don't mind low bitrate, but the higher the better. I have to have at least 196, or it won't end pretty. 120 is ok, for a short amount of time. 256 is an audiophile's dream to have. And 256 AAC, at that. It will be bad for your HD, as it is bound to take about 10 MB, per song.

On a side note, did anybody really mind the DRM? I hear people complain all the time, but they never have a decent reason. Unless you have an iPod, and buy a shedload of music from iTunes, then get an alternative music player, it doesn't affect anything.

15. Herp

Herp Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Coram, New York
    K, thanks for the help.

10MB per song will suck, good thing I just upgraded in space recently.

2.5GB x 2 = 5GB

On second thought, I'm screwed. :)

16. I think that was the problem. I personally didn't have an issue with the DRM, as I don't really listen to my music on anything other than my Macbook, my Touch, or my AppleTV. But if ever I did want to play it on anything other than those, then the DRM issue would arise. That's what I didn't like.
    I still wish the films and TV shows in iTunes could be DRM free too. I just don't like being forced to watch them on Apple-only devices.

17. brewstermax

DRM will always be on movies. But I'll never have anything other than an iPod, so it isn't and never will be an issue for me.

18. brewstermax

Hey, External HD, or a Time Capsule should solve that. 10 MB, is entirely likely, but I'm guessing that Apple will ensure that it will be 11, just so the new 3G store is useless ;).

19. Herp

Herp Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Coram, New York
    Talking about on my iPod, my hard drive is set for quite a while....

What we need is an external hard drive for ipod touches/iphones that plug in through the dock connector. That would be epic. :)

20. brewstermax

Ehh. You have a 32 GB one, it shouldn't be too much of an issue. I hope for a iPod Touch HDD, someday.