Universal Machines at War 3 - (by Isotope 244)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Oct 2, 2013.

1. scarypharaoh

scarypharaoh Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Medical Professional
    With Carmen Sandiego
    This looks very nice, however, I am on ipad2, will it be able to handle this game without many issues? I know im a bit behind the curve hardware wise, but my old ipad 2 still chugs along ;)

2. mako9227

mako9227 Well-Known Member

May 20, 2013
    Wow this game looks great from the screenshots! If it's anything like the last one it's definitely worth buying!!!

3. Maniacfive

Maniacfive Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Phone Sales
    Kent, UK
    So no ipad 3 inpressions, next question, is this retina on iPad?

4. sivad

sivad Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2013
    I was a big time red alert 2 fan back in the day, is this the same type of feel? Of course multiplayer was a big reason I overplayed the heck out of red alert, so how finicky is the multiplayer before I splurge?

5. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    It sounds like Machines at War 3 really lives up to the the LASW pedigree. Now... all I need is my next paycheck for some iTunes credit.

6. Louis Ace

Louis Ace Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2013
    I've been playing on an iPhone 5 and the gameplay and controls are great. However, the game lacks a zoom option, which can be bothersome.

7. TheDMan

TheDMan Member

Sep 13, 2013
    #107 TheDMan, Oct 9, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
    The video is great and the screenshots look great. The maps look cool and its nice your able to play with so many units. Love that this is like SC and CC. This RTS is one to get.

8. ArthynX9

ArthynX9 Active Member

Jul 23, 2013
    Wow. I wasn't expecting to see a game this quality in a while. Not at least till MC5 comes out.

9. hedgey

hedgey Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2012
    I really had high hopes for this game, but it seems every review says the same thing. "Complex, but that adds to the lack of depth" "nothing special".

Is it a game that just couldn't live up to unfair expectations, or an ok game that is not quite worth the price?

10. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    It works perfectly on an iPad 3. I'm in a 4 player skirmish and it's handling everything without a hint of slowdown.

The game isn't retina but with this much stuff happening onscreen it would only hinder the game

11. defcubusal

defcubusal Member

Dec 3, 2010
    Can someone confirm if this lets you pick the map type, map size, and all that like L.A.S.W.? Basically is the "custom game" aspect back? (Single player and/or multiplayer?), thanks. By the way love L.A.S.W., was waiting for a sequel and this will surely be great.

12. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    You can choose terrain, climate, map size, how the map reveals, victory conditions, and mutators.

13. defcubusal

defcubusal Member

Dec 3, 2010
    Thanks. :)

14. Rasterman

Rasterman Well-Known Member

May 10, 2010
    Game Monger
    Tampa, FL
    #114 Rasterman, Oct 9, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
    As vegan mentioned all of the settings are there. The settings under the skirmish menu also count for multiplayer.

15. Rasterman

Rasterman Well-Known Member

May 10, 2010
    Game Monger
    Tampa, FL
  16. Windburn

Windburn Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    Game Impressions

To get one thing out of the way from the outset, this is not Retina on the iPad 4. I'm a little let down by that, because it's not clear from the description.

Having said that, there is so much substance and breadth to the gameplay that the above is easily forgiven. Not forgotten, mind you - I urge the developers to give the game the shot in the arm needed to get the Retina resolution graphics and UI art in (at the very least, the UI), but at least forgiven.

Having a blast playing it, really has that nostalgic "C&C1" feel to it, with the sheer number of units/buildings as something like TA.

I'll probably have more to say once I've played more, but I wanted the devs to get the above feedback at least.

17. Maniacfive

Maniacfive Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Phone Sales
    Kent, UK
    Thank you! That has allayed my fears, purchasing now. If it had been retina I'm sure it would only have served to make my pad 3 chug :)

18. Drummerboycroy

Drummerboycroy Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2012
    Clinician
    Maine!
    Sooo... full disclosure here. I won a code for the game (Thank you so much Rasterman!:D). I had never really played a full-fledged RTS game, and I'd been on the lookout for something that would introduce me to the genre. I threw my name in the hat, and I won!

O.M.G. Did I win. :eek::)

I'm not even sure where to begin. I played the tutorial, and was BLOWN away by how well this game is built. When it first started I was, well, OK, I'm not going to lie, a bit nervous. How the Heck was I going to keep track of everything? I was seeing the very thing that had kept me away from RTS in the first place. Surely I wouldn't be able to manage all the pieces and parts, right? Yeah, uhm, fears allayed. And HOW.

The UI, the screens, the buttons, the descriptions, the prompts... I could on and on, for a game THIS deep and THIS involved, I felt like a kid who has just gotten the training wheels off and was doing it!

Then I started seeing the tech available to me. O.M.G. Kid, meet candy store. Then I started the campaign. O.M.G. I don't know how long one play-through is, but anyone complaining about getting their entertainment value out of this has a very different view of value than I.

Not since FF have I seen such possibilities for virtually endless permutations of gameplay. You simply have SO many options for each aspect of the game, whether energy production, material production, fighting, defense, and each option is so freaking COOL and BEAUTIFUL. The visuals, the descriptions... I mean, half the fun of the game is just playing with the tech! "I wonder what this does? I wonder what this does? I wonder what this does?" The tech is just ridiculous.

Again, considering how much is going on, and how much you have control over, and the fact that I'm playing it on "older" hardware, I just cannot believe how smoothly this game plays... O.M.G.

I could honestly go on and on. This is the first RTS I've really invested more than a passing glance into, and I AM HOOKED.

tl;dr: If you are a fan of RTS, you already own this. If you aren't sure about RTS and want to try one, I would STRONGLY suggest this one as your first.

DBC

19. Savant

Savant Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Hi Rasterman,
    Is Local Wifi Multiplayer supported in this game or does it have to go through GameCenter?

20. frankieabbott24

Mar 21, 2013
    When I was much younger around we the age of 6 or so, I played command and conquer red alert (not sure which one specifically). It was on my PS2 and I would set the settings to only infantry and I would love seeing hundreds of soldiers dying trying to raid my base. I bought Land Air Sea Warfare the first week it came out and I couldn't have been happier. It was awesome that I could customize the skirmish settings and how I could play the game. I wasn't one who advocates for campaign or multiplayer. Now that MAW 3 is out, I can relives days in command and conquer. It's funny when I played a all infantry game on this app, the AI took me out with a excellent outpost on the outskirts of my base. They built a couple of big berthas and destroyed my defenses. It wasn't too pretty. So thanks for this excellent app, I've had my eyes on this developer since LASW