Universal Machines at War 3 - (by Isotope 244)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Rasterman

Rasterman Well-Known Member

May 10, 2010
    Game Monger
    Tampa, FL
    Yeah there are no unit formations, one man can only do so much ;)

2. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    You built this entirely on your own? Holy smokes. That's some dedication.

3. The Gamer Dude

The Gamer Dude Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2013
    Dude look at Thomas Edison :)

Ha ha it's an amazing effort for one person.

4. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    Game Impressions

So I finally got around to playing MAW3. I was initially worried about the small screen I'm using (iPhone 4) but thankfully it isn't an issue. My initial impressions? Wow. This game is above and beyond what I was expecting. It doesn't feel like a cheaper RTS game. I say that because the smaller screen on an iPhone would make you think a lot of sacrifices would have to be made however this isn't the case.

The graphics are as sharp as a knife and the interface is clean and intuitive. I'm sure on an iPad it's an even better experience with more screen real estate. This is a home run in my eyes and I'll be spending lots of time with this game. The developer managed to make it feel as if no sacrifices were made for it to feel at home on a small device. I can't say enough about it.

If you're a true RTS fan and want the full experience, I highly recommend MAW3. If I had a PC that could run anything I would be buying it there as well. In the RTS world this is a fantastic game and should NOT be missed.

5. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    So how big of a team was this? Was it really just one person? What IDE was used if you don't mind me asking?

6. Louis Ace

Louis Ace Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2013
    How is this game compared to LASW? I enjoyed LASW, but I would like to know the the improvements that are in this game (Graphics, Units, etc.). Thanks!

7. Louis Ace

Apr 4, 2013
    I have you all beat with $6.45... so close!

8. Rasterman

May 10, 2010
    Game Monger
    Tampa, FL
    Yep, over the last 2 and half years full time, omg its been so long!

Thank you for the detailed review :) I contracted out the artwork, licensed the music, but everything else I did. I use Visual Studio 2010 on Windows and XCode on Mac.

All of the graphics were redone, totally new UI, the AI was redone, unit stats rebalanced, 50 new units and technologies, all of the landscape graphics were changed. Environmental objects were added (grasses, stones, buildings, pipes, boxes, etc). Soldier infantry class and units added. 21 mission campaign with story and characters added. Gamecenter multiplayer. New skirmish victory conditions. I keep a change list of everything I do to the game, based on a very rough look at it, there are over 4,000 changes that I logged.

9. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    hey pal, this is an incredible awesome game!
    i've been searching & waiting for a long time a genuine RTS like this, with all the same classic features & options found in some of the best PC strategy games, and is amazing to see it works perfectly also on a small iPhone screen... i love it!
    GREAT WORK PAL!

10. ikmalmn

ikmalmn Well-Known Member

Apr 1, 2013
    This game is by far the best RTS that has ever come on the AppStore!

Even thought the game itself cost about 7.00$ bucks,but it is very well worth it!
    Very nice graphics,brilliant teching system and more wonderful stuff that I can't explain

It's a hand on to me....except the multiplayer,which is kinda....eh

But still hands on!

11. redribbon

redribbon Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    entepreanur,programmer
    late to the party here. already has it installed on my ipad but still dont have enough time to touch it yet. i believe its gonna be an awesome rts on iOS. good luck dev, i wish your 2years + is well paid :)

12. Rasterman

May 10, 2010
    Game Monger
    Tampa, FL
  13. Maniacfive

Maniacfive Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Phone Sales
    Kent, UK
    Can anyone comment on the performance on ipad 3?

Im almost hitting buy, but the 3rd gen has been problematic before.

14. Louis Ace

Apr 4, 2013
  15. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    Just saw the awesome trailer and some of the screenshots. The game definitely has a cinematic, over-the-top vibe reminiscent of a Michael Bay movie. This is a welcomed quality given that we, as players, prefer a level of escapism and engagement with the games we play. The trailer boasts high end graphics and animation that highlight a great attention to detail that can must be a labor of love. The randomly generated maps, beautifully rendered landscapes and out-of-this-world tech make for an RTS that could revive my interest in a genre that, in my opinion, needs a much-needed shot in the arm. Machines at War 3 could be the answer!

I haven't trolled the entire thread yet, but I did notice that the game is a universal build. While this game looks like it must be played on an iPad, I'm curious how gameplay is on a much smaller screen, such as the iPhone 5. Also, given the universal build, does the game sync with iCloud giving us the ability to switch devices and play with all the progress captured and saved?

16. Mr. Charley

Mr. Charley Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2008
    If anyone other than myself still have a 1st gen ipad, can you let me know how this game runs?

17. Drummerboycroy

Drummerboycroy Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2012
    Clinician
    Maine!
    I haven't really "gotten into" the whole RTS thing before now, but this game looks like it could be the one that sells me on the genre... It just looks like a game I could "grow" into.

Really curious about the randomized maps, considering it essentially gives the game virtually unlimited replay value. That said, I tend to enjoy games that utilize structured "missions," and it's nice to see them included. Having 130+ unit-types to play around with is most definitely intriguing and really adds to the longevity of the game.

Further, the actual TYPES of technologies available look very cool, and the game has a VERY well done UI.

One of the things I really like about this particular title is it seems to have pieces to appeal to noobs like me and veterans alike, based on a perusal of the thread.

Perhaps this will be the game that cements my undying love for RTS? ;):D

DBC

18. FrankiePard

FrankiePard Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Looks pretty awesome and reminds me of total annihilation!!
    Putting this on my wishlist :D

19. Rasterman

May 10, 2010
    Game Monger
    Tampa, FL
    There are a few posts about playing it on the iphone, I think there might be a review about it too, most think its great. The game does not support iCloud, this is something I'm looking at for a future update though.

I test on an iPad 1 quite a lot and the game runs very well, the frame rates are usually around 30.

20. The Gamer Dude

The Gamer Dude Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2013
    #100 The Gamer Dude, Oct 8, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
    Plays really nice on the small screen.

On a different note I'm having a hard time beating either the third or fourth act in the campaign. It's the one where you're supposed to destroy the super weapon before it's built.

What's weird is when you upgrade to tech 2 , you get new ground units but not new air units. I've wailed on that structure for a good long time and couldn't destroy it. I take out all the guns , but then the AI sends tough tanks and such and I get creamed.

I'm probably missing something, but any help would be greatly appreciated. I always fail , - I'm assuming I didn't destroy the super unit quick enough.

Oh and if there's a site with hints and gameplay tips can someone direct me to it?

Ahh I got it , I should have read the mission brief more carefully ;)