Universal Machines at War 3 - (by Isotope 244)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Oct 2, 2013.

1. The Gamer Dude

The Gamer Dude Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2013
    The first one rocked and had a ton of content, and this one with the updated interface, graphics and MULTPLAYER is enough to make an RTS fan creme his jeans lol

I've been playing them since Dune :)

2. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    Double my pleasure double my fun! Consider this a second entry. I would buy it; alas, I have 1.92 cents in my account :/

3. CaptLudd

CaptLudd Well-Known Member

May 1, 2013
    Is there an easy button for those of us who are new to RTS or are simply eternal noobs ?

4. Rasterman

Rasterman Well-Known Member

May 10, 2010
    Game Monger
    Tampa, FL
    To start there is a Tutorial mission which walks you through the basics of the game, you can actually see the whole tutorial in the TouchGameplay video.

For skirmishes there are 7 difficulty levels, including an adaptive setting that tries to match your skill level. For the campaign the difficulty ramps up over the first 10 missions to get you used to the game.

5. The Gamer Dude

Aug 8, 2013
    I'm rich compared to you at 2.23 but alas still short. Of course I have my debit card linked to the account ;)

6. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    thanks a lot pal!!!
    i'm just installing it, i'll put impressions asap...

7. IDE

IDE Well-Known Member

If you love RTS games, there's no real reason to pass this up.:D
    This game has impressed me more than any other iPad/iPhone game in the app store.

8. Rivalsan

Rivalsan Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Feb 26, 2011
    Okay, I'm in. Bought and installing as I type this!

9. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    I got you both beat with a whooping $4.48!

But that's after purchasing MAW3. :D

Haven't played it yet though...

10. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    I've been playing this and as I thought its a fantastic RTS, for me it takes the RTS back to the early C&C days when RTS were just fun and easy to play,
    It's not very portable friendly as the missions are pretty big but that's what you want from a RTS this isn't the type of five minute pick up n play game, it's a really hoard your troops and go on a rampage game :D
    Great stuff.

11. Savant

Savant Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Can you at least save at the middle of a game?

12. CoreyB

CoreyB Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2011
    Aircraft Mechanic
    Chicago, IL
    I'm on the fence with this game, how are the controls?

13. Rasterman

May 10, 2010
    Game Monger
    Tampa, FL
    Yes. During a skirmish you can save and load at any time in 5 save slots. During the campaign your progress is saved after each mission, and you can save and load at any time in 1 save slot. You can go back and replay missions you scored low on. Missions are scored with a 3 star system, 1 star for completing the mission, another for completing it within a goal time, and another for completing a bonus objective. There is no saving during a multiplayer game.

14. Hardbattle

Hardbattle Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Silly question, but how do you get more ore in the tutorial level?

15. Rivalsan

Patreon Bronze

Feb 26, 2011
    You have to build more storage units. Without building storage units the maximum amount of ore that you can store is 5000. This is not a silly question, because the tutorial does not clearly specify this. Don't feel bad, because it took me a while to figure this out too.

Also, the very final objective in the tutorial took me a while to figure out how to do. I didn't realize that I now had the ability to build a mine that could collect the special ore. The game seems good, but these two pieces of the tutorial were unclear enough to be a bit frustrating.

16. Rivalsan

Patreon Bronze

Feb 26, 2011
    I appreciate how you are active on the forums. The game definitely has an old-school real-time strategy vibe, which I am enjoying very much. You did a great job!

MAW3 supports automatic reorientation, which is a good thing, because games that can't auto rotate are AMAZINGLY frustrating! However, the Game Center parts of the game do not reorient. If you're playing the game on your iPad and the home button is on the left-hand side, if you click on Game Center in the game, all of the Game Center information will appear upside down. I assume this was an oversight, or either a bug. Either way, I thought you should know.

17. Rasterman

May 10, 2010
    Game Monger
    Tampa, FL
    The tutorial does state you need to build more Power Cells and a Storage Unit to get Tech 2. The problem is it only says this if you destroy the Apache helis to the North, I will add this text in another place so it is always displayed.

There are two technologies to research at your headquarters to upgrade it. [ops smile]Upgrading it to Tech Level 2 will allow you to build many new types units and buildings and increase its ore output. To upgrade your headquarters select it and touch the Tech 2 icon. You will probably have to build more Power Cells and a Storage unit in order to research Tech 2.

After you find the unique resource the tutorial displays the following message. The game also directs you to the unique resource if you haven't found it after a certain amount of time has elapsed, I will double check this is working.

You have found a unique resource! You can build a specialized mine (Spec Mine) on a unique resource to increase your ore mining rate. Note Spec Mines can only be built on unique resources and the crystals must be clear of your units in order to place the mine.

Please note you can see all previous game dialog by hitting the red ? button.

18. The Gamer Dude

Aug 8, 2013
    #78 The Gamer Dude, Oct 5, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2013
    Sorry double post :(

19. The Gamer Dude

Aug 8, 2013
    I got it and I'm really enjoying the improved interface and retina graphics, there are so many ways to play - this is a steal at 7 bucks and a no brainer for fans of LASW or RTS games in general.

A zoom function for us 'small' device people would make this the perfect mobile RTS. Things are a bit tiny compared to the first game, but they are a lot sharper. :)

Oh and Cory the controls are really well thought out for the small screen, if you've played any major RTS games you'll have no problems.

20. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Same. Retina make a for a huge improvement, and I can't stress enough how improved the interface is.

It'd be nice to have unit formations, or am I missing something?