Universal Machinarium - (by Amanita Design)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by mashead2000, Sep 7, 2011.

1. tygamr

tygamr Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    Can anyone tell me if it's worth the $5? I've already played through this on the pc and I'm tempted to buy it again. Also, is it not as smooth as the pc version? I was watching some iPad gameplay, and the street performer's animations didn't look very smooth. They looked kind of choppy. Can anyone enlighten me?

2. mashead2000

mashead2000 Well-Known Member

Very smooth-might depend on how much spare mem you have?i have 32gb and half of that free space
    Im stuck trying to find oil can for the wheelchair guy
    I have the radio with speaker-what do i do next?please help!

3. tygamr

tygamr Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    Thanks. I think I'll check it out, since $5 isn't much.

Where to find the oil:
    Remember where you slip by that police robot look-out? Go to the left of the street performers into that door. That's where you get the oil.

4. tygamr

tygamr Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    Bought it and already beat it. Only took me about 2 1/2 hours (I've beaten it before). Is a pretty good port of Machinarium, but I did find quite a few bugs, some of which were game breaking. All of the bugs I found are in the later half of the game (starting in the greenhouse). There are also some instances of slow down- I only noticed it during some of the flashbacks.

Bugs:
    1. after using the magnifying glass on the butterfly it may disappear without revealing the pattern- causing you to either guess what it is or look it up.
    2. After opening the door out of the greenhouse you may be unable to move and perform any actions.
    3. When grinding the sunflower seeds for the oil it may not show the oil filling the can.
    4. When grinding the sunflower seeds you may see two Josefs- one standing still, the other grinding the seeds.
    5. Upon re-entering the greenhouse you may get another sunflower plant- the only way to get rid of it is to plant it where the existing one is which causes the original to disappear in place of the duplicate.
    6. When inside of the big-headed-robot's mind, you may get stuck inside of one of the walls, preventing you from progressing any further.

Not sure how many more bugs there are in the game, but I recommend you save when you first enter a room due to some of the bugs being game breakers (1,2, and 6). Still not a bad game, but it definitely has a few kinks that need to be worked out.

5. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    I, too, am finding this port extremely buggy.

There is another one to add to the list.

SPOILER!!!!!

In the boiler/furnace room, if you cross ALL of the wires in the fuse box on the ledge so that you will need to cross the additional wires on the ground that are sparkling, you will find that repeated taps on the screen can sometimes make each wire crossing more than one wire (I have succeeded in crossing 2 and 3 wires, which obviously is physically impossible). Further, even if you are able to cross these wires correctly to "reverse" the effect, you will find that the switch will NO LONGER turn on the machine (as if the wires were left unattached). This essentially is game breaking, since there is no way to reset the puzzle. The only recourse is to reload a previous save. :mad:

6. Felonious Tub

Felonious Tub Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2010
    I just had the same problem. And I hadn't saved yet.

7. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    As I mentioned yesterday, saving in the boiler room (do it in a new slot, just in case) then loading the save seems to reset the wires.

8. Veronika_s

Veronika_s Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2011
    Norway
    Yeah +1 for the boiler room reset problem... I'm one of those people who NEVER save and had to restart the whole game sigh. Took a lot less time than i'd imagined but i almost put the game down forever. I'm assuming it's the same in the pc/mac version though, so weird they didn't straighten it out.

9. desh

desh New Member

Apr 11, 2009
    Well, it looks like you might have under estimated the flash air packager. I just took a look at the Machinarium.app folder in iFile and it is indeed built with AIR. Check out the META-INF/AIR folder...

10. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Another bug:

In the room with the telescope, I was trying to see if the plunger gun could be used on something. The cursor changed into the plunger gun, and after a few screen taps, disappeared completely from my inventory.

11. the9quad

the9quad Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2011
    So is the general consensus, that this needs a update before it's a worthwhile purchase?

12. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    I must say I am very surprised that this game is so buggy. I have played another game previously created by the same developer called Samorost (both the original and the sequel). Both games were well made. The glitches in those games were trivial.

I wonder if this is more of the fault of the AIR packager than the developer's own code. It is too bad that this port has such a rocky start.

13. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    I haven't run into any issues yet and I believe I am pretty far into the game. I seldom pay more then a buck or 2 for a game, but I am getting my money's worth from this one. The graphics are really pretty, the story is interesting and the puzzles are challenging. The hint system is quite clever. Really, this is a great game for me!

14. soldat7

soldat7 Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2011
    No bugs here...so far.

15. digital-leaf

digital-leaf New Member

May 17, 2011
    professional game designer
    Texas
    sloppy port of Machinarium

This has got to be one of the sloppiest ports I have ever seen. I love the game, and have bought it for myself and friends, but it absolutely should have been possible to run on the iPad 1. As for whether the game was made in Flash, it's very possible.

You can write a customer Flash exporter. My studio has done that, so that UI artists can do HUD and menus in flash w/o us having the overhead of Flash on the PC/console or the lack of Flash support on the iOS. Flash is buggy and slow and loves to crash, but allows for great animation.

To the folks who said the iPad 1 and 2 are the same that's ridiculous. Read the specs people:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPad

CPU
    1st Generation 1 GHz Apple A4
    2nd Generation 1 GHz Apple A5

RAM
    1st Generation 256 MB DDR RAM
    2nd generation 512 MB DDR2 RAM

GPU
    1st generation PowerVR SGX 535 GPU
    2nd generation PowerVR SGX543MP (cores 2)

The iPad 2 is not just a iPad 1 with a camera and mic. The camera and mic are the least of the differences. The specs are very different. That said the iPad 1 is completely and utterly capable of running what is a simple 2D flash game equivalent with minimal motion, no scrolling, and largely static environments and slow characters.

Shame on Amanita for such a sloppy port. If they don't have the capability to hire a decent iOS programmer, keep it on steam and wait till you learn how to program. My hope is that they can optimize their work to the point of where it should easily fit onto the iPad 1. Or that they'll hire someone who can. It's really not hard.

16. tygamr

tygamr Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    I don't think it's necessarily the original code. The PC version isn't nearly as buggy, and most of the bugs it had were minor (like animation bugs). This version is extremely buggy, and so far there are 5 game breaking bugs that have been found. I think it's more likely the fault of the AIR packager. Either way though, they put this game out a bit too soon.

17. desh

desh New Member

Apr 11, 2009
    I'm sorry, but other than fanboyism, what would make you think this? If there are flaws in the game then they'll patch it. I've seen a number of people in this thread claim the game worked fine for them (myself included), and others definitely encountered problems. That stuff happens. What games have you installed haven't gotten patches? Based on the types of problems reported, I suspect whatever patch comes out will come from Amanita, not Adobe...

18. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    I finished the game and never had any issues. This is probably my favorite adventure type game experience I have ever enjoyed. What a wonderful game!

19. tygamr

tygamr Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    #59 tygamr, Sep 11, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
    Whoa Dude. Sorry. I didn't see any fanboyism in my comment whatsoever. Now I kind of regret saying anything. I should've said it different. What I meant was- I thought it was as a result of being on a different version of AIR, and Amanita probably caused some issues too by quickly porting it without making all of the necessary changes. An example of what I meant: I went to google translate and put in "I'm starving. want to buy a bite to eat?". Then I translated it to Japanese "私は飢えています。軽食を購入したいですか?". Translated it back "I'm starving. Want to buy a snack?". What I originally said changed a bit. Now I know that the two versions of Adobe AIR are the same language, but there are likely discrepancies between the two versions. Think British English and American English. But yeah, I think it's probably a combination of both. And in all honesty, updates are good, but when a game comes out loaded with glitches that cause you to have to start over, it obviously isn't ready to come out. Plus what I said wasn't fact, it was just my opinion. Nothing against Adobe.

20. jeffyg3

jeffyg3 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2010
    Great game, finished it this morning. Love the animation and artwork. Definitely a must for those with an iPad 2. Haven't had any issues myself, almost a near perfect port of the Mac version.

Though, this should have definitely been able to run on the old clunky original iPad 1. There's nothing in this game where I thought the iPad 1 shouldn't have been able to handle.