iPad MacBrickout - Beta Testers Welcome!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by CarsonWhitsett, Apr 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CarsonWhitsett

CarsonWhitsett Active Member

May 1, 2012
    Full-time iOS Developer
    San Diego, California
    #1 CarsonWhitsett, Apr 14, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
    Back in 1993 (25 years ago!!!), I wanted to learn how to program video games so I started teaching myself C (using Symantec’s Think C on a fancy new Macintosh IIci). MacBrickout was born and I soon began receiving shareware payments in the mail (there was no internet yet) from people all over the world. Over the years, the game has evolved. I switched from Think C to Metrowerks CodeWarrior. The game engine was converted from C to C++. OpenGL showed up on the Mac which meant I no longer had to blit the sprites pixel-by-pixel to the screen. The internet came and I added an online worldwide high score list. Game sprockets came and went. The migration from Carbon to Cocoa happened. XCode. More features were added to the game like hidden fruits and vegetables, musical bricks, bonus levels, bomb balls, radioactive balls, the Umphee (before the Umphee there was a pool of water just below the bottom of the screen. When you lost a ball, you’d year it plop in the water and a little splash animation would appear). When iOS came along, I had to switch everything from Open GL to OpenGL ES. It also required a re-layout of all the levels due to the narrower playfield.

My last update to MacBrickout was in 2012 (iOS 4!!!) and it survived all the way until iOS 11 when 32-bit apps were deprecated. After an intense month of fixing 300+ compiler errors & warnings and adding a few new features, I’m pleased to announce that MacBrickout is once again ready for iOS and has just entered open beta! I've got plenty of room for testers and you can sign up here if interested: http://macbrickout.com/beta

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's a preview of the gameplay. Lots of balls can happen!