Macbook Pro Problems

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by CBraun53, Feb 25, 2009.

1. CBraun53

CBraun53 Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2008
    I know this probably belongs more on the macrumors website, but I was hoping someone could answer me here as people here are kinder. For the past few months my Macbook Pro Core 2 Duo 2.33ghz has seemed sluggish and been making a noise like it's busy when doing very basic tasks (typing in Microsoft Word, browsing the web, even sometimes just moving the mouse, and so on). When I watch a streaming video it makes an even worse clicking like sound. I thought maybe it was because I only had around 3gb of space left on my hard drive so I freed up some space and have 34 gb now and it's still making the noise. A couple of days ago the Norton Anti-Virus program said that I have been infected by the downloader. It's odd though because my computer has been this way for months so why would it only recognize the virus now. If anyone has any advice other than taking it to the genius bar, I'd appreciate it.

2. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

It sounds like a hard drive problem. And Macs don't get viruses, remember? So, unless you are running Windows (eww), it shouldn't have a virus. But it sounds like the head of the HD is hitting the platters.

3. CBraun53

CBraun53 Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2008
    Thanks for the response. I thought that maybe because Macs are getting more popular that viruses were going to start up, but maybe not. I am running windows (through bootcamp) but I rarely go on it and I don't think I ever go on the internet while I am using Windows, so I'm hoping I didn't get a virus that way. Can a virus from Windows affect the Mac part of the partition?

How much do you think it would cost to get the hard drive fixed from apple if my warranty has run out? And would they have to send it out or could they fix it in the store? I have a couple of editing projects coming up, so I can't be without my Mac for too long.

Thanks again for the help.