Mac stuck on shutdown.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by randomdude, Jul 16, 2011.

1. randomdude

randomdude Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2009
    Hi, my MacBook Pro recently started to more or less hang on the shutdown process. I will shutdown the laptop, and it'll hang at the bluescreen with the gray thing spinning. I left it alone thinking it was just a quark, but after an hour, it was still there. I had to hold down the power button to get it to shutdown. I posted this on the Apple Support forum, but it devolved into an argument over the idea of fixing the permission is necessary and what not. Please, help a noob out.

2. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    So, basically, everything quits but your computer just hangs at the last stage of the shutdown process. I would try to start up and shut down with your original Install DVD to make sure it's not a hardware issue. Then I would restart again from the Install DVD and run Disk FirstAid. If you find no problems, I would then reset the PRAM -- check on line how to do it. If that doesn't work I would contact Apple directly.

3. randomdude

randomdude Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2009
    How do I boot from the Install CD? Thank you for the response :)

4. Watabou

Watabou Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2008
    When you're booting up, keep holding down the C key. And then do a Hardware test by selecting it from the menu that appears.