Universal M.U.S.E. - (by Ayopa Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Dec 20, 2011.

1. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    I know Ravenmark did it for 4th gen devices... before they did it wouldn't run... =o/

2. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    see... again, when Ravenmark did it, the graphics weren't fuzzy, they just weren't as clear. It really didn't make too big of a difference. Not like the text is all blurred out or anything, or you can't make out details... it's just not as sharp.

3. Shadster86

Shadster86 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2010
    It may situational for each game. Ravenmark could perhaps stand to make that change with little to no effect on the experience.

In our case, we are able to greatly improve performance on the iPod Touch 4th Gen. without having to make that plunge! :)

4. lumothesinner

lumothesinner Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2011
    UK
    I wouldn't turn it off, The guys who made desert zombie turned of retina after people with iphone 4 complained of lag, and immediately got backlash as the graphics werent as good anymore and demanded that the retina be brought back without lag...because apparantly magic exists...

I hope you guys find a way to fix whatever lag is on 3rd or 4th gen devices as its so sad to see all the new high end games get low reviews (especially on the app store) and bad impressions as the games are designed for the newer hardware and dont have the same performance on slower devices, yet the expectation is that they should.

For all you who think its alright for me to say that with my 4s, yes but I do have a 3rd gen as well that I use sometimes, so I am in the same boat

5. Shadster86

Nov 14, 2010
    Do not worry, removing retina support is NOT on the table for our update. Like I said before, our first update that will be pushed out asap will be a remedy for a small concentration of iPod Touch 4th Gen players that are experiencing any issues :cool:

Note that not all of our iPod Touch 4th Gen. players are experiencing issues. Although the devices may be the same in hardware, the conditions for each player is going to be different as no one's device will be identical. ;)

6. iVaro

iVaro Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    I see what you're saying now. The lag suddenly got unbearable and I'm on mission 3. Glad to see that a fix will be out soon though :)

7. Shadster86

Nov 14, 2010
    Be ready to have M.U.S.E. launch in the US at midnight!

8. barryweiser

barryweiser Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2011
    Any gameplay videos?

9. gunxsword

gunxsword Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    Routine FPS check:

What control methods are offered? Gyro?

Gyro supported FPS games seem somewhat rare these days, other than Gameloft developed titles.

The... trailer?
    Or just wait for Sanuku. He does 15 min gameplay videos.

10. GoofyJmaster.

GoofyJmaster. Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    There's only 1 control scheme and it's the one you see in the pictures.

11. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    The whole Ravenmark thing is different because they released the game without retina for 4th gens because it was absolutely unplayable. Also, I played it on retina and then got the new update without retina. It was 100% noticeable and my first reply was will it come back! The thing is the general public didn't get a chance to see it in retina before, so they had nothing to b*tch about.

Also, like theshadster said, their retina is tied into the overall performance, if I'm not mistaken. The problem with ravenmark was just too many sprites from my understanding.

Anyways, I've only been able to play a little due to being swamped with games and only 1 person, but the game itself is nice. It would obviously be better without the lag on 4th gen devices, but I'm giving certain games a small pass for pushing the envelope. I hope optimization does get better though, especially since a lot of ppl might be waiting for 5th gens.

Honestly, for reviewing purposes, I don't know what to do. I guess I'm going to have to bite the bullet and possibly buy a 4s and use it as an iPod. Ugh!

**Also, yes there is a story!

And could you guys make moving around the controls possible?!? I'm very finicky when it comes to controls and honestly that extra cm up and to the right is crucial to my gameplay! Thanks!

12. gunxsword

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    Doesn't seem too bad. Just wondering, will/can more control options (GYRO!) be implemented in future updates?

Letting players reposition the controls would be nice too.

13. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

Offtopic:

I was to busy with playing M.U.S.E. that i did forgot to upload some HD Gameplay Trailer yet.

Already uploading a HD Gameplay Trailer of the Tutorial and of the First Mission.

Sorry for the delay Guys!

Ontopic:

M.U.S.E. is as crazy as it can be and still deliver it`s own charm that makes me keep playing it even when i die - And i die a lot! Great Work!

14. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    Haha yeah, they're pretty decent controls. I just like to reposition and I feel like I'm not the only person that feels this way. Anyways, in Shadowgun and MC3, I moved the controls around a ton.

Also, could we get more screen real estate for looking around. I don't need half the screen to move. :)

15. Shadster86

Nov 14, 2010
    Our main concern moving forward after launch is to give our players what they want, while maintaining the experience we set out to achieve. We will look in to some customization for the UI since it seems to be a popular demand!!! :D

16. gunxsword

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    #56 gunxsword, Dec 20, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
    First level impressions (on iPhone 4):
    Pretty positive! Some noticeable flaws, but overall, a pleasant experience.

Graphics:
    Let's just get this outta the way.

Graphically, everything looks like an average PS2 shooter effort. Textures are quite bland and average, animations are somewhat mechanical. However, the graphics are technically impressive when considered in a portable console context.

Good thing is, this game plays in a constant framerate in retina on iPhone 4 and doesn't suffer from framerate issues (though it's not butter smooth either). So, no technical risks here (@Desert Zombies).

Gameplay:
    Cover based and run 'n' gun-able third person shooter with satisfying combo scoring system. Did I mention you get to blow up and break a lotta environmental stuff?

The game is... somewhat absurd in some aspects of gun play. it takes 4 shots from a pistol to blow up a car (over 10 for your M16); pistols are 100% accurate with no reduction in effectiveness regardless of range; lack of (or unnoticeable) recoil and enemies have one large hitbox (no headshot).

While the game tosses out all senses of accuracy, it benefits from the decreased realism in terms of an highly streamlined and fast paced gameplay. It's FAST and FUN (I'm trying to avoid punning here). Dispatching enemies and objects grant points and stringing together long combos is exhilarating. There's significant personal bias here as I have an intense liking towards popping numbers...

Full and half height covers are littered across the battlefield. Some require crouching to provide full protection. Shooting from crouched position raises your character and releasing returns to the crouched position. A fluid mechanic that's both practical and useful. A covered based approach is the recommended mode of play as enemies deal out considerable (not as in a lot, but as in enough to make you worry) damage when you're exposed.

Environmental damage can contribute to score multipliers and instant kills. Blowing up cars enemies use to take cover or conveniently place fuel barrels is simple, cliched fun.

In short (and conclusion), the gameplay is undeniably simple, stupid (read: mindless) satisfaction. If there's one objective negativity (I don't like the firearm inaccuracies), it would be the near impossibility of playing the game without auto aim. I like to aim for myself but, doing so with swipe controls is far from ideal.

17. thecabster

thecabster Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2010
    C.E.O./Co-Founder at Lab Rats Studio
    RDU, NC
    @gunxsword: that's a pretty in-depth review and pretty accurate I would say. thanks for a well done impression/review of the game. what I gathered is that you at least thought it was FUN, and personally that's whats most important to me.

18. Shadster86

Nov 14, 2010
    It was very exciting to see one of the first consumers of M.U.S.E. play through our game for the first time :D Thanks for taking the time to record those and post them!!!

19. amusing Grace

amusing Grace Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Music, Muse, Magick
    Berlin, Germany
    Thanks Sanuku and Gunxsword for your impressions!

CanĀ“t wait now to give it a go.