Universal Lumberwhack: Defend the Wild (by Koloss Interactive)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Aug 6, 2013.

1. talf

talf Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 2, 2012
    Male
    Game Programmer
    Montreal
    Thanks Clas, it was indeed that Fishy Leftovers..

2. Mj1ggy

Mj1ggy Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2012
    #42 Mj1ggy, Aug 21, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
    Haven't bought a game in a while but I'll be dropping 99cents on this game later today because interactive and generous developers should be supported.

Wow it had been so long that I literally had to update my billing info on the App Store. Glad I did though, I'm a sucker for the one person developer who posts on the forums

3. Clas

Clas Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2013
  4. Nice review, I think I will buy.

5. Clas

Clas Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2013
    The latest update for Lumberwhack is now available on the iTunes App Store. Thanks to everyone for giving feedback and also for the great reviews. It will help making Lumberwhack an even better game!

Here are the changes for version 1.2

• The Almost-Bright Ape and Head Cracking Coconuts combo was too powerful.
    • The fumes from the lumber truck (at the end of each level) is now toxic.
    • The Fishy Leftovers skill caused levels to not finish correctly.
    • Saved “selected animals” issue.
    • Overall level balancing.
    • Lumberjacks are now a bit more fierce.

6. Dailion

Dailion Active Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Indie developer
    Ibiza
    - The "select animal" issue continue. I can play with cocodrile without rescue him, in a new game.
    - After the level 17, the game become imposible.
    - Farm/grin acorns in early levels are fustrating, 2 or 3 for level when a upgrade cost 96....
    - So , if you want to try another skills or level another combination of animals, you must start a new game.

I find a little trick for get acorns bonus, let the lumberwhacks cut a tree in a new level, then play as usuall and win, repeat. You always get the bonus level.

7. Mj1ggy

Mj1ggy Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2012
    Thanks for the update. I'm also admittedly pretty stuck after level 17...I've beaten the next two levels but only partially and then level 20 has been basically impossible. Earlier levels were far easier in comparison so balance is still a touch off. Fun game though, a dollar well spent

8. Clas

Clas Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2013
    #48 Clas, Aug 24, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
    Thank you for the feedback!

A new update has already been submitted to apple to address the issue that some levels (15-20) became to hard.

According to my game play analytics a few levels where way too easy. Unfortunately some of the data must have been inaccurate, or perhaps more people then I thought used the former overpowered Almost-Bright-Ape and HeadCracking Coconuts zerg tactic.

Anyone that has not updated to version 1.2 yet can wait for v1.3 that should be out as soon as Apple approves it.

Edited:
    Seems like the 3th party Analytics service I am using can not be trusted. The percentage of victories, trees lost and defeats per level it has reported to me is apparently incorrect. I will look into another service. Thanks for notifying me about this.

9. Clas

Clas Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2013
    Version 1.3 for Lumberwhack is now available on the iTunes App Store. It's mostly a quick fix, larger updates with additional changes or new content will eventually come.

If you like to support Lumberwhack, then please remember to re-post or update your review for Lumberwhack in the App Store when a new version is released. :)

Here are the changes for version 1.3

- Levels (15-20) that became too hard after v1.2 has been fixed. Caused by faulty analytic data.
    - Fixed a reported crash issue.
    - Minor game play tweaks.

10. Dailion

Dailion Active Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Indie developer
    Ibiza
    Hi Clas, i need a tip for the game.

I restarted the game several times for change the animal upgrades, and i find that the tiger is the only that really work before the rino.

Now i need upload the rino and i cant because i dont have acorns, play previous levels for 3 or 4 acorns when uploads ask me for 300 ....

The levels are really hard, if you dont spam tiger/rino to the rigth and kill lumbers before they agroup.

Some tip ? i want to finish this game.

11. Clas

Clas Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2013
    #51 Clas, Sep 2, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
    Hi Dailion,

The tiger is more meant for fast damage when you quickly need it, he is no good at taking a beating. Before the rhino you should normally have upgraded the Gorilla or the Kangaroo who has more health then the tiger, and used any of them as a tank. If you have managed without them until you unlocked the rhino, that's cool though. But this will get very hard until you have upgraded the rhino enough. I have completed the game recently with only the Gorilla (lv 7) as the main unit, so the Rhino is not necessary, but he is more powerful in the long run.

I guess that the level you currently are on is before entering the last area on the map? There is a level there with a lot of ninjas, here you really need to send out a lot of tanks (an animal with good health). What kind of skill you use can matter a lot as well. If you get over-run by big groups of lumberjacks, then I would suggest using the Beehive or Mr.Beaver to clear them away, as they booth target multiple enemies at once.

I hope that information will help you a bit :). Eventually in a future update you will be able to reset your upgrades (for a cost) so you can play around a bit more. Later levels will most likely also see an increase in acorn drop.

12. heretik

heretik Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2010
    I was just about to buy it when i noticed the game's dev in here (good thing) having rated his own game five stars (no-go). So sadly i'm missing out of this game on principle.

13. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Shilling your game is one thing, posting fake reviews in the App Store is one thing, paying for reviews...you guessed it, is one thing...but if you're going to avoid buying a game because the developer rated their own game 5 stars in this thread, then I'm afraid you're going to miss out on a ton of games. It's a common practice on TouchArcade and is entirely harmless.

14. heretik

Nov 14, 2010
    It's terribly bad style in my book. But that might just be me.

15. heretik

Nov 14, 2010
    On the other hand, no IAPs. So i'll trust you guys on this one.

16. quizoid

quizoid Active Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Everybody gets one vote, including the developer. It's like voting for yourself for president. If there are many other votes it doesn't matter. If there aren't, it isn't an accurate rating yet anyway.

Besides, every vote has a bias. "It's another defense game! One star!" or whatever. It all comes out in the wash anyway because you are comparing star ratings to other star ratings; each of which is in a similar pool and hopefully following similar rules.

17. Andre

Andre Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2012
    The price of game is dropped now.

18. Clas

Clas Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2013
    Thank you for posting, I should have mentioned it here as well. ;)

Lumberwhack is on a Limited Sale since yesterday, 2.99 -> 0.99!

19. Clas

Clas Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2013
    Lumberwhack is on a Limited Sale from today, 2.99 -> 1.99!

Enjoy! :)

20. Card

Card Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    Toronto Canada
    I can't beat the last level no matter what I try (or what I think is the last level by the nuclear building)...

I've started over twice already... Can anyone give a set-up that can beat the last level? Thanks. =)