Universal Lumberwhack: Defend the Wild (by Koloss Interactive)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Aug 6, 2013.

1. talf

talf Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 2, 2012
    Male
    Game Programmer
    Montreal
    Weird, I was about to write the total opposite.. The game gets too easy and the new animals/skills unlocked don't worth spend anything on them (yet) I've kinda completed half the game (?), Ive reached the 3rd area.

My tricks (might be spoiler)
    My main monkey is level 8 and 90% of the time I summon Almost-Bright Ape (level 7) and sometimes the gator/cobra. I ALWAYS use the same skills, coconut boost (level 7) and the banana magnet (level 6). The almost-Bright ape only cost 20. They get pretty strong as a group.

Maybe I'll hit a wall later, since I'm not upgrading new animals/skills.
    I'm still playing because I like the game, but I'm hoping to face some challenge soon..

Also.. while selecting your animal/skills, the game show you the enemies you'll encounter in each level (similar to PlantsVSZombies) but you actually dont care about which enemy is going to be there (so far..) I'm always selecting the same one..

I've managed to make it crashes a few times. It started crashing when I reached the 3rd area. Sometime I do have some duplicate selected-animal in the choose animal menu. I see 2 gator.. or 2 cobra.. and if I hit continue (twice) it then crash.

But overall, pretty impressive for an one-man army game, congrats Clas!

2. talf

talf Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 2, 2012
    Male
    Game Programmer
    Montreal
    Grinding

As it already been mentioned, it would be nice if grinding would pay a bit more. I can understand that it can be frustrating if you haven't found the right strategy yet and /or spent your precious acorn. The amount of acorn given seems well balanced, but only if you spent them on the right/same upgrade.

3. Clas

Clas Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2013
    #23 Clas, Aug 11, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
    I have tried to balance the game as much as possibly from the data I got from test players before the launch. But there is still a few players that think it is too easy sometimes and others that it is too hard. It can also depend on the player's experience in similar games or that some combinations of animals and skills are more uber then others.

There is a lot more players now so I will definitely look through the data and balance it more where it is needed.

I will also fix the bug mentioned asap, strange that it came through testing unnoticed.

Please remember to rate Lumberwhack in the App Store! :)

4. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Oh man, that's gross. :/

5. Clas

Clas Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2013
    #25 Clas, Aug 11, 2013
    Edited my earlier post to not encourage more. Kinda increases the reason why to have a free game with IAP instead of one time charge. Even though I personally don't like it. I had a IAP version planned for some specific market, will still see how things turns out.

For some reason unknown Lumberwhack became a huge hit in China the day it was released. My Chinese friends was equally surprised. Some review site even gave the game an official Chinese name right away and it spread. Thousands of people apperently like playing my game and hopefully they will spread some kind off buzz. :cool:

6. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Yeah, that's the best way to look at it. Hopefully these people will spread the word...the game's very, very deserving.

Prior to playing Expander and Kid Tripp, I hardly ever looked at leaderboards, but the other day I checked out the Abyss Attack leaderboards, hours after the game was released, only to find thousands of people on them...mostly Asians. I'm guessing it's the same situation as here.

As psj (a fellow TA member/mod) has said more than once...it's beyond me how anyone could pirate anything that costs ONE ****ING DOLLAR!, but ugh...free is free. :/ *sigh*

Dude, I really hope Lumberwhack does well. I don't know what to say. :(

7. Biggavelli

Biggavelli Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2011
    Boston,MA
    #27 Biggavelli, Aug 11, 2013
    Clas, Lumberwhack is a hit(blindsided me, came out of no where). Very addicting, very enjoyable. You get my GOTW ( game of the week ) vote. Any plans on a sequel?

8. Clas

Clas Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2013
    Thanks a lot for the support guys! :)

Perhaps there will be a sequel, but I think the next step will be content updates that will build upon the original game. A new campaign with more animals, skills, levels and specially I would like to add some mini bosses.

But before that I have to fix a few bugs and improvements, as well release it for Android.

9. The Son of Anarchy

The Son of Anarchy Well-Known Member

May 14, 2012
    I'm really hoping Lumberwhack does well Clas, it's a great game! Keeps pulling me back day after day to try out new strategies. The no iap aspect is such a breath of fresh air, (all respected ios gamers should buy this just to support this fact) it's so satisfying beating a level with skill and strategy alone, rather than being able to pay to win. GOTW contender for sure.

10. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Touch Arcade forums' Game of the Week Voting
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Lumberwhack: Defend the Wild was successfully nominated as one of 10 finalist in Touch Arcade forum's Game of the Week poll. Voting will be open for the next three days. Developers may not vote for their own game(s). New user votes are subject to review.

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=200017

11. Clas

Clas Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2013
    That's really awesome! I know I can't vote, but what about Koko Kornelius and the rest of the gang? :D

Show the animals some love!

12. Montanx

Montanx Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2012
    San Diego
    Clas, this games lack of iap is awesome and I couldnt put it down til the end. Oddly enough, ill suggest that you do add an iap, but only in the form of a simple acorn doubler maybe. That way its not mandatory to play but those who want convenience can purchase it. I always felt like doublers were a decent form of iap and not as in your face as most. Great little game here, and I also like the risk of venturing down to get the meat and extra acorns, it adds something.

13. Biggavelli

Biggavelli Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2011
    Boston,MA
    Coin doubler is a good idea :D

14. Clas

Clas Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2013
    Thanks, glad you like it! Please remember to rate and comment on iTunes as well :)

You might be right about the IAP and I will definitely consider it. Currently the game is still on release discount and eventually I would like to have the price at $1.99. Not sure about the timing though, feels like the game needs to spread a bit more first.

15. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    I really like the art style.

I find it funny you are trying to stop the trees being cut down and then your beaver does it for you!

16. Clas

Clas Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2013
    In all wars you need to sacrifice something to win :)

17. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    You sound a bit like sun tzu!

18. Clas

Clas Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2013
    Lumberwhack is from today on a limited price discount! :D

19. talf

talf Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 2, 2012
    Male
    Game Programmer
    Montreal
    Progression blocked?

Hey,

I'm blocked near the start of the last area on the map. There's only one playable level, but this level never ends.. At the end of it, all my animals are there standing and my monkey is throwing stuffs behind the phone screen. There's something to attack, but it never shows up... I've tried to wait like 10 minutes (twice) and but it never ends.

See the screenshot attached

Attached Files:

20. Clas

Clas Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2013
    Thanks for the feedback Talf,

Unfortunatly, sometimes there seems to be a bug with the 'Fishy Leftovers' skill. An update has been submitted to Apple to fix this and it should be available soon.

If you want to continue playing right now, try to play with another skill then the 'Fishy Leftovers' until the update is out.

If you have any more issues or feedback don't hesitate to send them directly to [email protected] so I can answer them as quickly as possible.