Universal Lowlander II: Lowerlander (by Flat Black Films)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by bsabiston, Jun 7, 2017.

1. eksaint

eksaint Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2015
    Excellent move

2. lex3001

lex3001 Member

Jun 26, 2015
    User error-- i had completed baby dungeon I was just confused by it being highlighted and green (instead of looking at the check box).

I seem to be stuck now though -- I can't figure out how to cross the marsh / swamps. I'm supposed to find 6 frogs and a boat but not sure where to find any of those. I suppose I might need to solve the Ice Mime dungeon first? I saw a spoiler in the forum about that. BTW people are not marking spoilers properly!

3. istara

istara Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2009
    The frogs are optional (I don't think you can even collect them all yet).

Yes - the Ice Mime dungeon is next, if you've done everything else. As a hint, remember that fire melts ice ;)

4. hyperlinked

hyperlinked Member

Jun 20, 2017
    #104 hyperlinked, Jun 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
    Thanks for the shout out! I had a blast procrastinating... er I mean playing Lowerlander. The funny thing is that starting a couple of months ago, I got hit with this kick of nostalgia for the Ultima games, which is odd because it's not anything that I've thought about for over 25 years. I'd do a few quick searches for Ultima-like games in the App Store once a week and move on. I never saw anything that even remotely piqued my interest. Then I noticed the Lowerlander page on TouchArcade by sheer chance and I spent the better part of a weekend finishing it, which surprsied me because I planned to buy the game, slay a few monsters, buy some monsters and put it down. "There scratched that itch so back to work..."

Bob, you did a very good job with the game continuity. Everytime I wanted to put the game down, there was always one more quest that seemed attainable so "I'll just finish this and quit for a while" becomes "and I'll finish that too while I'm at it."

As fun as the gameplay was, the humor in it was just as good and I was driven to keep going also by wanting to find what other quirky twists there would be in the story line like talking to a one armed man whose sister is the one legged woman.

As much as I'd like to play the original Lowerlander, I'm going to have to avoid downloading it until I have a good long stretch of time I can kill. I'll buy the Mac App Store version. The iPhone version is just too hard on the eyes after a while.

5. hyperlinked

hyperlinked Member

Jun 20, 2017
    A few bugs to report...

Here's a few more bugs that I ran into upon replaying parts of the game. I was trying to finish quests that I skipped past the first time.

-- Yo, if you don't like spoilers, it should be obvious you should stop reading now. --

Sea creatures give you a ton of XP if you fight them from land vs. fighting them from sea. A shark is 13XP from sea, but 50XP from land.

The Wisk spell when used in a town or castle returns you back to the previous save point instead of wisking you out of whatever town you're currently in. If you enter a Wizard's Club in Lowtown and then take the portal to end up in Riverwood and then use the Wisk spell, you'll end up back outside of Lowtown.

Regardless of where you get placed, Wisk also seems to cause instability in the saved game state. Wisk appeared to cause me to lose progress in some ways, but not others.

Here's an example. I was in Riverwood and I killed the 5th clown there, but before I could get away, I got blocked by in by townspeople and I couldn't leave so I used Wisk to teleport out of the mess. I was placed outside of Riverwood. I re-entered the town immediately and the map was blank as if I had never been in the town before. The clown was also alive again even though my quests console told me I had killed 5 clowns.

I didn't re-kill the clown. Instead, I went into the Wizard's Club and teleported to the Mages to see if I could get the mark from the Wizard of Wor. I got it, but some time later when I was coming back to get the 4th mark from the Mages' challenges, the gate to Tontrius for the Wizard of Wor was down again. I went back to Riverwood to re-kill the clown, but the clown was gone this time so I tried killing the Wizard of Wor to re-solve the quest with the alternate solution, but that didn't work and so there would be no way to get Tontrius.

6. istara

istara Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2009
    I'm stuck! It's the Nightshade quest.

I've found caves B, C, D, E, F, G and the secret one in Verdigris, and have delivered 7 Nightshades.

I can't find A/H.

7. Dannymc1989

Dannymc1989 Member

Nov 7, 2015
    I'm stuck trying to get nightshades. I've been to caves BCDEFG but unless I'm going crazy there's no way to get to the rest.

8. istara

istara Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2009
    There's a seventh one in a cave that you can find inside Verdigris (south east corner).

No clue on the eighth though.

9. Dannymc1989

Dannymc1989 Member

Nov 7, 2015
    The guy who's near the hidden cave in Varsigris gives you a location on the last one. 256 405 I think...thanks for the help! I'd of never found the other.

10. bsabiston

bsabiston Well-Known Member

Hey guys I guess we should be using spoiler tags for these answers. I haven't been doing it either. Anyway, yes A and H are the hardest to find. One of them you learn about by
    talking to a guy in Verdigris, or the devil in the prison cell in the lizard castle
    . There are hints about the other one,
    the cave INSIDE of the town of Verdigris, when you talk to the bartender and customers at the bar in the lizard king's castle [\SPOILER].

@hyperlinked thanks for letting me know about that Wisk bug, I need to take a look at that.
    So how did you end up getting the Tontritus?

11. hyperlinked

hyperlinked Member

Jun 20, 2017
    I didn't and couldn't. I was replaying the game to try the paths I didn't take in the story the first time like
    killing the 5 clowns instead of the Wizard of Wor

12. sonarun

sonarun Member

Sep 12, 2013
    Finished

Ok, just finished the game.. now some bugs / thoughts..

First of all, amazing game, thank you so much bsabiston for such a wonderful time. I loved all of the humor and the throwback style. Really, amazing.

1. The Oracle in Gladdis has four quests.. or requests. I did them all, and the oracle closed up shop; however the quest log never cleared up.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. You don't need Zorkmurk to kill Yarak. In fact, I couldn't complete the Deonotics quest at all and never did gain access to the sword. I have no idea where it is?! :confused: I thought it was pretty funny when the king told me that I had Zorkmurk! :D

3. When I killed Yarak, I didn't have enough MP to use Apotheo! So I had to redo the tower to make it through the quest.

Again, thanks for such a great game. I had a wonderful time!

13. bsabiston

#113 bsabiston, Jun 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
    Hey Sonarun,

So glad you liked the game! And I'm sorry about those bugs. Would you mind emailing me using the Contact Dev button in the Options screen? I'd like to find out more about that Zordmurk thing, that needs to be fixed ASAP! :)

14. hyperlinked

hyperlinked Member

Jun 20, 2017
    Elron Hubbard in your hometown has the Zordmurk. You need to get the Deonotics pin and then use the pin to open the locked door to the crypt to face Elron Hubbard and claim the Zordmurk. I can't remember where you get the pin though.

15. Dannymc1989

Dannymc1989 Member

Nov 7, 2015
    I'm also struggling with aquiring the sword but only because
    When I've fought the 3 monsters in the catacombs where the sword is. Elron just keeps running away and I can't catch him. Or kill him with magic.
    any help would be greatly appreciated

16. hyperlinked

hyperlinked Member

Jun 20, 2017
    Figure out a way to keep him from running away.

17. Dannymc1989

Dannymc1989 Member

Nov 7, 2015
    Well I got it. I'm not sure the way I did it was the way your supposed to do it but hey ho. Thanks for the help.

18. bsabiston

Dannymc1989, what did you end up doing?
    Usually the way is to hit him with a freeze spell, then whack him with the sword. Once he is hit, he stays still and will hit back. I've done some speedruns though where I am not nearly strong enough to kill his monsters and have had to do some crazy stunts to trap those guys behind corners rather than fight them.

19. istara

istara Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2009
    Any clues (or direct spoilers) as to where Riverwood is?

20. bsabiston

Hey istara, Riverwood is
    within the walls of Yarak's compound, way up near the top. You just need to navigate the maze upward and you'll see it!