Universal Lowlander (By Flat Black Films)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by bsabiston, Dec 31, 2014.

1. talwar

talwar Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2015
    It looked so good and creative based on the screenshots.:(:(

2. bsabiston

bsabiston Well-Known Member

#62 bsabiston, Jan 2, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
    Ok thanks. I'm really sorry guys! It worked fine on the 4 different devices we have here, but I don't have the ones people are reporting about. So many devices now -- and I haven't run across this kind of texture map difference across different Apple devices before.

I took it down for now. Hopefully I can fix it and get an update out soon.

3. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    Relax and have some patience, from the devs pro-active stance I am certain this will get sorted out.

4. icepulse

icepulse Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2008
    I'm using the TA app to access this forum, and posting images doesn't seem to work. You'll just have to take my word for the fact that the game has the same graphic abnormalities on the 6 as others have shown in the above screenshots.

5. Intendro

Intendro Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2013
    It's worked for me before, although I've had issues with it too. :eek:

6. bobish

bobish Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2013
    Good luck with the fix. Looking forward to see how it turns out.

7. gmattergames

gmattergames Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2013
    Looks like you built this withGM Studio, I'd run this issue by Yoyo as it very well could be a problem with the engine itself.

8. eksaint

eksaint Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2015
    I'm having the same graphics problems on an iPad Air 2, latest OS
    But to be honest I don't really care. It's not like the sprites are super realistic to begin with, using your imagination either way. I can tell all the creatures apart which is all that seems to matter. Definitely glad I got it before it was taken down.
    The game is amazing! Cannot stop playing. Most fun I've had with an RPG in a long time.

A few suggestions:

1. Have creatures be a different color then signs and entrances on the map

2. Have the ability to sell armor or weapons that are equipped. When upgrading it would be nice to be able to factor in the sale price of your current weapon/armor

3. Is the fight button really needed? I can't see any reason to be able to walk into a creature, they just get a free hit at you. Put a wait button in its place. At least make it so the fight button toggles on/off.

4. The fact the creatures can move and attack diagonally but the player cannot is annoying (to me at least)

5. Maybe reconsider having chests reappear in dungeons or give them a cool down timer. I was able to repeatedly hit the first dungeon for 100gp a run just grabbing the first three chests and killing the creatures along the way and leaving and immediately re-entering. In away I like this because I really hate grinding but seems a bit easy. Maybe lower the gp in the chests.

Great job, can't wait to keep playing!

Thanks!

9. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    #69 Gwarmaxx, Jan 2, 2015
    how can you reach an acceptable amount of money to buy a torch, food (to not starving) and enter a dungeon???

Can you post a pic of the map location of Yeorke Village (or another nearest town/village to buy food)?

10. bsabiston

bsabiston Well-Known Member

#70 bsabiston, Jan 2, 2015
    @eksaint Thanks those are great suggestions. Several of the decisions, like the fight button, are made with regard to being true to Ultima. Also, I kind of wanted you to have to do *something* to fight. I threw out the separate fight screen of Ultima III and Gurk, (partly because the strategy/spell/weapon tree is too simple, and you are just one guy, not a party. -- but also because that can really slow down what is a pretty simple game.)

I totally agree about the chests/dungeons, that is a good idea.

@Gwarmaxx You pretty much have to go to Yeorke first to survive. It's south of the castle, where there's a sign saying that Yeorke is SW. You are probably trying to go too far -- it's pretty close. Walking to the SW leads you around to a bridge. After the bridge, don't go down, go to the right and you will see it. You pretty much need to hang around Yeorke and the castle until you get strong enough to go further, tackle the first dungeon, etc...

11. eksaint

eksaint Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2015
    It was hard in the beginning to get set up but I did it on the first try. (not life, i died a lot but not starting a new game)
    I did take advantage (some people on here might say cheated) of the fact that when you die you can reload to the last save and are not penalized by loss of xp/gp.

Here is some info:

IMG_0212.jpg IMG_0213.jpg
    So the white dot in the circle of green at the top of the image is the palace where you start out. The white dot in the middle of the bottom of the screen (surrounded by the orange square) is the player. The white dot directly right of the player is the first town. The Second white dot directly left of the player is the first dungeon.

Maybe I lucked out by finding that town pretty directly but I did find it quick.
    Then I just stuck around near it and killed things. ducking back in to save and buy food when I could to get up to 200 food. Don't go exploring till you get yourself a little setup. Don't buy antidotes. Way too expensive at first. If you get poisoned do not enter the town. It will save. I almost ruined my save this way and needed to use the health potion I finally bought to save myself. I only had to reload because of poisoning a few times. Then get a torch and go into the dungeon. (don't try and beat the guy at the end yet!) go right at the first fork and there are three chests that way that give you about 75gp (100gp with the kills) and (1) antidote (1) torch each trip. Go in and out a couple times then get a better weapon, a bunch of food and heal. Repeat. You're on your way.

What I've discovered of the map so far:

IMG_0214.jpg

Also one more suggestion:

Be able to touch the little battle log square and have it expand to a history.

Really, Really enjoying this game. So much to discover!

12. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    thanks a lot eksaint!!!

another suggestion from me: the game needs a quest log or a journey diary.

13. witedahlia

witedahlia Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2012
    I'm such a dummy. Saw this yesterday and made a note to myself to get it after whatever I was doing... lol. I'm sure it will be back soon and I'm really looking forward to playing it #

14. ojtitus

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    Thanks for the useful info eksaint.

And yeah the game is still very playable and enjoyable with the graphical bug.

15. Retro Nug

Retro Nug Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    The Netherworld
    This looks cool. Added to watchlist for when it returns to the AppStore! ^.^

16. talwar

talwar Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2015
    The dev released a BETA version and it fixes the glitch. The new update is submitted to the Appstore and should be out around next week.:):)

17. chilimambo

chilimambo New Member

Feb 7, 2012
    Turku, Finland
    This looks really interesting, I'll definitely check this out when it's released.

Just one suggestion: could you maybe use a more era-appropriate/pixelated font? The default font you have now clashes with the style, and I think that the game would look much more cohesive with a more stylized font.

18. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Yeah I agree. That font looks quite modern whereas the game obviously looks retro

19. badmanj

badmanj Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Software developer
    Reading, England
    So what is the IAP in this game?

20. ojtitus

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    I don't see any IAP in the game.