Universal Lowlander (By Flat Black Films)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by bsabiston, Dec 31, 2014.

1. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    If you tap on reply to the post with a spoiler you will see the format for how to add spoilers.

2. bsabiston

bsabiston Well-Known Member

Thanks - but I am not sure what you mean? "tap on reply to the post with a spoiler"?
    All I see is a "Reply" button, and then when you click that, there's an orange "Post Reply" and "More Options". Where's the info about spoilers?

3. Xanthus1001

Xanthus1001 Member

Apr 7, 2022
    Male
    Finished the game. Very enjoyable! Thanks for the hints.

4. bsabiston

Excellent! Congratulations, I am glad you stuck it out til the end!!!

5. thavith

thavith Member

Aug 29, 2022
    Male
    #505 thavith, Aug 29, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2022
    I might be the only person who is playing the game ;)

I just went through the ExecratioN dungeon and thought I'd done everything, but apparently not, still haven't found the ingot, but I'll keep trying. I guess the clue is in the name, something about the "N" I guess. I know all the doors have Ns on them, so probably something to do with that...

Anyway, just wanted to say I am loving the game. I played Ultima III back in the day. We got a copy of the game from someone and played it everyday after school. The copy we had was corrupted it turns out (or deliberately hacked). In the underworld where all the shrines were, someone had put a row of bricks right across the map, so we could only get to some of the shrines (it was only after I got another copy that I realised what had happened). Needless to say though, I fell in love with Ultima and this format of game.

• my first computer was an Apple //c (first computer I used was an Apple ][+)
    • my favourite computer was probably my first iMac 27" with Core 2 Duo (first time I had a computer that I couldn't slow down easily), but loved my
      • Mac LC 575
      • Bondi blue
      • Amiga 500
      • TiBook (loved it till the hinges broke)
    • my favourite processor is the 6502 (though ARM chips are soooo cool)
    • my favourite bands are Pink Floyd, Dire Straits (when they were cool) or U2 (again, Unforgettable Fire days)
    • my favourite movies are
      • Star Wars (IV, III, V, VI, II) - though starting to understand Episode I
      • Tron (original)
      • Matrix (first one only so far)
      • Shindler's List
      • Raising Arizona (really, I was shocked when I saw that in the game)
      • Restless Natives (if you haven't seen it, try and find it now)
      • Princess Bride
    • my favourite TV shows are
      • Band of Brothers (not what you think)
      • Lost (first couple of seasons)
      • Mandalorian
      • Parks & Rec

6. bsabiston

Hello @thavith

Thanks, I am glad you are liking it! Is Raising Arizona in the game? I can't remember - but it is practically my favorite movie of all time, I'm not surprised I worked it in there somewhere, haha. Pink Floyd probably also my favorite band.

Let me know if you need Execration tips... I don't remember actually off the top of my head but I think you are right about it having something to do with N...

Bob

7. thavith

thavith Member

Aug 29, 2022
    Male
    Thank you Bob...

I found the answer to Execration and it was something to do with N, can't believe I missed it the first time through...

I'm trying to find Abhorrence now. It's a big map, so hope I can find it. I have all the other ingots now...

Again, great game and so glad to see this style of game back. I remember I started to write one for the Apple 2 back in the day using assembly. I was creating the game with a map editor in it using the mouse for the //c (could use keyboard as well). I had the //c green monitor, so was making it without colour in mind - lol. I ended up going to Uni, so never finished it. I should try and find the code for it, be interesting to see if it still works :)

Looking forward to Lowlander 2.

Oh, and yes, in one of the towns someone mentions Raising Arizona. Must watch it again. Cohen Brothers always make amazing movies though...

8. bsabiston

Abhorrence can be tricky to find, if it's the one I'm thinking of... there's a sign with a clue but it is kind of obtuse... if you have trouble I would say look up the subject of the sign, find out what it's about...

9. thavith

thavith Member

Aug 29, 2022
    Male
    I managed to find it :)

I just finished the game. Wow, that last part was interesting to say the least...

Thank you for a great game @bsabiston, time to play the sequel now...

10. bsabiston

Awesome, congrats and I am glad you enjoyed the game!

11. thavith

thavith Member

Aug 29, 2022
    Male
    Well done on writing it too! Please keep them coming. I did see you are currently writing number 3 (when not working at your day job, I know that too)...

I've just started the second instalment, loving that one too...

12. JeffNC7

JeffNC7 Member

Dec 26, 2022
    Hello, great game. Feels like a new Ultima! I cannot find the Odium key. Please help!

13. bsabiston

Which one is Odium? The twisty one with low light? Keep an eye on your minimap and look along the top wall towards the left…

JeffNC7 likes this.
  14. JeffNC7

JeffNC7 Member

Dec 26, 2022
    Thanks! I walked right by it yesterday when I posted. I appreciate the quick reply. I love this game and look forward to Lowlander 2 next. I’ve purchased it already. If you ever make Lowlander 3, I’ll buy it too. Ultima Redux, and better in many ways.

15. 66 icer 66

66 icer 66 Member

Feb 12, 2023
    I looked up “one handed RPG iPhone” to satiate my RPG cravings. This game is awesome! Far King Elle!

I came here as a result of finding solutions to some of the game issues I had. Going through the thread and I come across eksaint’s post quoted above. I agree with a few of the matters listed in their post. Namely:

1. Not an issue for me. this must have been fixed?
    2. Yeah. Is this something that can be resolved with some tweaking on Dev’s part?
    3. LoL at how many times I have attacked townspeople this was a recurring thought whenever I unintentionally whacked NPCs. If possible, please consider removing the hit button . . . in towns at least.
    4. A MASSIVE YESSS! Please allow diagonal movement. Also, monsters being able to attack diagonally is frustrating. At the same time, I love the fact that monsters on attack in linear turns (yes they can attack diagonally, but I think you get what I mean? If not, kindly ask for clarification, and I will oblige). Please seriously consider either allowing diagonal movement for the player, or disable it for the monsters as well. Ooor… create difficulty modes, and make diagonal monster movements a part of more difficult levels? Just a thought.
    5. Ermmm . . . No. LoLoLoL! Or perhaps if you end up doing difficulties, consider making this request a feature for the harder levels? I got my wand upgraded to Emerald Wand this way. I need to go back and max out to the available maximum wand level (level 9?) before you decide to do this, if you do, that is. B774ADBB-E247-4C55-93D9-3F906F7427AF.png
    Currently, I am at Lvl 11, still need to go see the Queen of the Southern hemisphere.
    51089C77-5378-4BFA-8F99-64C73588AB4A.png

Oh! Oh! Oh! And the “Talk to Holly in City of Oberlook” quest… I have… both in Oberlook and back in Broderbund. The quest still seems active. Does this mean that the quest is not completed? I mean I guess it is not, if I have yet to clear her brother’s name? Even if so, just to clarify any misunderstandings, perhaps the quest can have numbers besides them show that there is progress being made, instead of just wondering if this is a glitch, or not.
    B774ADBB-E247-4C55-93D9-3F906F7427AF.png

Ah, and storage size (inventory slots)… does this keep increasing with purchases, beyond 20 slots?

I love the game so much, I purchased Lowlander 2, before I even finished the current one. Thank you so much for making excellent RPGs for us old schoolers

Attached Files:

16. 66 icer 66

66 icer 66 Member

Feb 12, 2023
    Oh! With over 2000 food, I may sell Breath of Life

17. 66 icer 66

66 icer 66 Member

Feb 12, 2023
    03:14 here and I have a class from 09:30 to 15:00 ‍♂️

just came here to say that I got the boat. Looking forward to playing this when I next get the chance.

Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum… etc
    A48EE05F-F285-4A6A-B8CB-C77ADDA76DA4.png

18. 66 icer 66

66 icer 66 Member

Feb 12, 2023
    2C27EDBC-1939-4064-8E46-F68D17A99ED9.png

Hah! Two boats!

19. 66 icer 66

66 icer 66 Member

Feb 12, 2023
    Finally was able to finish this. GREAT GAME! Almost makes me want to play Ultima II

One thing though, Holly’s quest is glitching. At least I think it is. Insofar as much that Holly still wants her brother to be exonerated, despite the game being completed.

C14FE3A1-1FD1-4E03-B925-54D291AEA112.png
    047DE90C-3208-40A8-96DE-110187C8626B.png
    C1C2FE89-2F69-406E-8765-9F40C5482482.png

It would have been nice to have seen this completed.

On another note, I do not even know if you would be considering revising the game, after all these years, but, it would be nice if interactions with the merchants were not one transaction at a time. That is to say, instead of kicking us out of the trade screen after a purchase or selling something, it would be nice to stay on the screen until the player decides to not go through with anymore purchases or selling items.

Otherwise fabulous game! I can not wait to play part two

20. facerekr

facerekr New Member

Mar 20, 2023
    Male
    I am really enjoying this game! I am however stuck and looking for some assistance...

The spoiler below will reveal most of the locations in the game, so do not reveal unless you really want a spoiler...
    I cannot find all the towers to disable Azamon's invulnerability. I have found 8 of 9 of the towers, but the final tower completely eludes me. Here is a map with the towers I have visited circled in red: https://ibb.co/Jq90TLq