Loving the New Look!

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by crex, Aug 21, 2011.

1. ShallowGamer

ShallowGamer Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2011
    Foursquare
    It's just a bit of CSS work is all. Something along the lines of "hover color = yellow" or something like that. Its been a while since I've touched a bit of CSS so I am probably wrong.

2. blakespot

blakespot Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2008
    Blogger, Reviewer
    Alexandria, VA (USA)
    I just checked -- looked fine, and after a moment I remembered "compatibility view" in IE8. That breaks it as you describe.

Turn it off.

I'll look into putting a conditional in the code to render properly in idiot IE8's "other mode..."

Thanks.

bp

3. CzarCastic

CzarCastic Well-Known Member

#23 CzarCastic, Aug 22, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2011
    OK, so I disabled Compatibility View. When I reloaded TouchArcade, the Home page, Reviews page, New Games page and the Podcasts page all display the text properly, but the Forums page still have the screwed up format.

Here are a couple of images to illustrate.

Front Page (with correct formatting)

Forums Page (with incorrect formatting)

Notice that the Compatibility View button is now missing from the Forums page. When I go to Internet Settings, I cannot fnd a way to shut off Compatibility View. TouchArcade is not listed on the Compatibility View Settings page.)

What am I missing?

4. doodlejumper

doodlejumper Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Stuck in traffic
    #24 doodlejumper, Aug 23, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
    I guess I'm the only one who thinks they don't look good at all? I hope they'll look better when the best of the interface update is complete. I mean, I just loved the old ones so much. They just fit.

5. schplurg

schplurg Well-Known Member

Yes, always making everyone feel right at home. We'll try not to bother you ;)

Seriously, my opinion on the new buttons is that they look completely out of place from a design perspective (mine anyways). Could be just the font though. Has a temporary feel to it. You say you're redoing the site though, so I guess it is.

6. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    All I know is that the reviews button is exactly where the forums button used to be, so I keep accidentally directing myself to the wrong place now.

7. madmud101

madmud101 Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Tell me about it. It's so strange how you get into a rhythm of things without actually thinking what you're doing.

I'm slowly getting used to it.

8. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

I'm having one BIG problem with the new look: one can't middle click on the buttons at the top (home, reviews, forums, ...) to open them in a new tab. If you could fix that I'd like the new look alot more! :eek:

9. blakespot

Apr 19, 2008
    Blogger, Reviewer
    Alexandria, VA (USA)
    Restructured the link mechanism to behave as you requested. Just for you. :)

bp

10. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

Thanks, NOW I'm loving then new look! ;)

11. blakespot

Apr 19, 2008
    Blogger, Reviewer
    Alexandria, VA (USA)
    The IE issue should be resolved, for 7 on up, anyway.

I honestly don't care how the site performs in IE6.

bp