Universal Lovecraft's Untold Stories (by Blini Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by BigDich, Jun 3, 2019.

1. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    Whereas I play on my iPad and I just installed the game on my iPhone and got no such message and I will have to start a whole new game on my iPhone.?? :confused:

2. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    wow, this game is really huge...

@Blini_Games how the hell do i beat those f***ing insects that charge and poison me in the Mines level??? i know i have to shoot their hive before they attack me, but when already have them on me, is there a way to kill them?

3. Lull4by

Lull4by Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2014
    Did you already beat the chapter 1 and went to the "strange place"? if so, it should work, but maybe there are some problems, so just give the developer some time to fix it.

4. ioso

ioso Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2017
    Male
    iCloud is working Fine for me. It uplods and downloads my save games automatically, how it should be. Perfect integration of cloud sync

5. sakara214ever

sakara214ever Well-Known Member

May 10, 2012
    Icloud is working for me too but only after the update. Before the update it worked just the first time.

6. Blini_Games

Blini_Games Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2019
    After you complete the Old Mansion and reach the Strange place, that works as a location hub, you can start a New Story from the Old Mansion directly.

7. Blini_Games

Jun 4, 2019
    Thank you, everyone, for the confirmation that iCloud works properly!

Ayjona likes this.
  8. Blini_Games

Jun 4, 2019
    Hello, you need to use the Melee attack with the Detective.
    With the Professor you use the shield.
    With the Witch, you teleport yourself.
    WIth the Thief and the Ghoul, again melee attack (which is the basic attack for them).

But, of course, the best thing to do, is to shoot the eggs before.

I hope this helps,

9. eugenemcardle

eugenemcardle Well-Known Member

May 21, 2013
    Retired, Math/Science Teacher, Air Force Electron
    Redcliffe Queensland Australia

Same here, looks like German text, only in the one place so far.

Great game

10. Blini_Games

Jun 4, 2019
    Yep! Our bad, during the German localization one of the German texts jumped to the English lines and we didn´t detect it on time. Sorry about that. This will be solved in the coming patch.

The correct text is:

"And here you are inside. You are enveloped by the twilight and the smell of old furniture. The walls of this old mansion are thick enough and impenetrable for extraneous sounds. They reliably keep their secrets, and only distant rustles and your heartbeat are audible."

11. geoelectric

geoelectric Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    #171 geoelectric, Jun 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    Definitely appreciate the save update, but the standard on mobile is to snapshot and restore and anything else will cause frustration.

You’re possibly getting hung up on the term “save.” What people want is “suspend.” In practice that means saving a snapshot when focus leaves the app and restoring any saved snapshot whenever the game is cold-launched since that indicates it was memory (or user) killed.

It’s a lot simpler and less vulnerable to save scumming than what you’re doing now.

Phones dump background apps at the drop of a hat when they run low on memory, sometimes instantly when the app is backgrounded and especially for larger memory apps like games. They do this because apps are expected to come back in the exact same state they left even when killed and restarted.

Importantly, the phone ringer is an app. When the phone rings, your game is immediately backgrounded and could get insta-killed. That’s expected to be transparent to the user because you restore afterwards.

It’s not a special mobile feature or different save system, it’s just how mobile apps are supposed to work—they’re not guaranteed continuous runtime unless in foreground. Not having this is arguably a bug equivalent to crash to desktop with data loss on PC.

12. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    #172 Ayjona, Jun 10, 2019
    Now that I understand how it is supposed to work, I can confirm that it does not work for me, I'm afraid :) Starting a new game on my iPad Pro 9,7'' (latest stable iOS release) does not offer to restore from a cloud save, there is no continue button or indication of progress on the main screen, etc.

(Though reading the other comments, the iCloud integration sounds really slick and smart, so nice work!)

Aha, I see. Thanks for the info!

All of this. On a device without contiguous and concurrent multitasking, and where the user has no choice on how to handle interruptions (if they want to answer their phone, and sometimes - as geoelectric points out - even if they decline to answer), anything but instant snapshots of game states is detrimental to the user app experience.

adin, stubbieoz and anthony78 like this.
  13. Lull4by

Aug 21, 2014
    The most helpful solution so far I can thought is turning on the “Do not disturb mode” when you want to play the game, I turned on it almost every game because I don’t want any accident to ruin my gaming experience.

14. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    #174 ramzarules, Jun 10, 2019
    but didnt the devs say that if you get a phone call or you minimize the app you can resume from the moment you stopped? i think this was one of the fixes.

edit: see post n.49

15. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    yeah, i’m a stupid, already figured it out yesterday... anyway, thanks for the tip!

16. Repulsa

Repulsa Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2015
    Weird! I have beat the first boss a couple times and it didn’t drop a gun! I actually have encountered merchants selling them but for way more then I can get in a single run

17. Lull4by

Aug 21, 2014
    Do you loot the blood box at the north side of the boss room?

18. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Strangely, this seems to only be enabled for Easy difficulty (unless they just happened to list that feature under that heading):

@Blini_Games, if this feature is only enabled for Easy mode, I think that you entirely missed the mark with the update. This will push some of us who prefer to play on Normal or Hard to default to Easy instead, just for this resume mechanic. That seems like a waste of difficulty levels, a bad compromise for players, and likely not how you intended them to be interpreted.

I know changing a dedicated stance can be difficult when you have a creative vision. But in this case, your game would likely benefit greatly from you changing your mindset to accommodate the platform you are currently publishing on.

Many mobile gamers (and L'sUS's audience in particular, is my guess) don't want easier or shorter games - I currently play Civ 6, Darkest Dungeon, Spiderweb Software RPGs, Six Ages and Star Traders 2 more than anything else on my iPad and iPhone - just games that are technologically adapted to our platform of choice, that allow us to play hardcore games in a hardcore fashion but WITH the added convenience of playing at just about any time and in most places, for hours on end or 5-minute sprint sessions. And this mostly requires mobile-style, instant saving mechanics, in a game like L´sUS more than most.

And in that spirit, is there any chance we might see the original PC levels for the iOS version? With a proper save game system (even with the one you introduced in v1.3) I can see absolutely no reason we should play shorter levels or miss out on content compared to in the desktop counterpart.

(In all my time as a writer with partial focus on the gaming industry and new consumer tech, I've seen little to no evidence - anecdotal or sourced and macro - that mobile gamers who play desktop ports and long/hardcore/complex games in general want shorter levels or challenges - as opposed to the option to play shorter sessions, with saving mechanics that allow us to quit at a moment's notice, and resume right where we left off. That, I see all the time.)

19. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    Agree with the others about saving the state when suspending the app. Unclear if the new update does this or not.

nickhoola and Ayjona like this.
  20. Lull4by

Aug 21, 2014
    #180 Lull4by, Jun 10, 2019
    I played the game on Normal and I got the game saving every 5 "new" room cleared, so I can confirm the new saving function is working on Normal as well. (I saw a disk picture showed up by the character's headshot.)

Update: here are some proofs.
    DDBFFF64-210C-46B9-A727-C5AFCD72EDC5.jpeg
    37204FC3-3057-4528-AE33-9246F3B42128.jpeg