Universal Lovecraft's Untold Stories (by Blini Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by BigDich, Jun 3, 2019.

1. BaronMunchausen

BaronMunchausen Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2017
    Yes, this game is excellent and I love a great many things about it. There’s a lot of attention to detail and it’s more complex than I thought it’d be (which is a good thing). There are really clever ideas here too, like trying not to go crazy by approaching things in a more scientific way versus giving in to paranoia or fear. Anyway, love it, but I agree with most reviews. This game desperately needs a proper save system. I understand in a way why the devs made it hardcore from the get go, but mobile is another beast. I also played a great deal yesterday and today and have only made it to the second level. Sure, it’s fun, but it’s also discouraging to see so much time put into a run only to end up as though you didn’t even put time into it. At least have the option to save and pick up from anywhere. Those who need it will use it, those who don’t won’t. Anyway, thanks for this great game and keep up the excellent work. I’ll be leaving a five-star review on the App Store.

stubbieoz, Erpiotta5 and andsoitgoes like this.
  2. BaronMunchausen

BaronMunchausen Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2017
    P.s. I noticed a bug when shotgun fire is muted after firing at multiple enemies. No biggie, but it’s weird to see the shotgun firing but without the sound effect.

andsoitgoes likes this.
  3. Repulsa

Repulsa Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2015
    Unlocked the professor... has anyone been able to beat the abomination boss in the hospital?

4. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    #84 Gwarmaxx, Jun 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
    this game is outstanding!

it's not a simple roguelike, there's a lot of tension here every time we enter a room, plus a lot of excellent ideas like growing madness according to the mysteries we find around, and mostly the only save point available that should be managed as best as possible, keeping in mind that each level has a lot of room to investigate, many of which are secret (there's an item out there that lets you discover all the rooms in the minimap), and also a lot of loot to use with caution because the game is quite stingy on that.

imho it's very well balanced, specially for all of us that love tough challenges, and about the save system i love as it is, otherwise, with infinite autosaves, the game would last less than a couple of days, or alternatively we should have a permadeath system, which i would hate in this case 'cause is almost impossible not to die at least a couple of times, also for hardcore gamers.

well done devs, great game.

adin and Ijipop like this.
  5. Gwarmaxx

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    how the unlock works?

6. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    I don’t think anyone is asking for “infinite saves”. Just asking for the save point to be recorded when you close the app or get interrupted by a phone call.

If you legitimately die, you shouldn’t get to go back to that save. This is only to stop you from losing a ton of progress if you have to force close the app or it gets closed for you.

Pretty easy to understand why it’s a big concern on mobile. Don’t want to play for an hour and lose all my progress for a phone call.

I want this game but not until that is implemented or I just won’t buy it.

stubbieoz and Collin like this.
  7. Lull4by

Lull4by Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2014
    You would meet a new unlockable character through the story for each old character, for example, when you play the detective, you would meet the professor through the story, when you play the professor later, you would meet the next character you could unlock through the story and so on, but I think there are some requirements to unlock the new characters so be careful.

Gwarmaxx likes this.
  8. Gwarmaxx

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    anyway, there's also the Ankh, an item that revives you exactly as you were when you died, you can buy it/them (yes, you can get more than one) or loot it somewhere.
    also, if you have already done a run (or more runs), and you have stored some stuff (like Ankhs) going through the Strange Place, you will get all of them for the next run, so in that way you can start again from any level already visited with all the ankhs you have bought or found (i have 5 of them atm).

9. Repulsa

Jul 3, 2015
    Yes you encounter him in the hospital while playing as the detective and there’s a bit of a wee puzzle involved too :)

Gwarmaxx likes this.
  10. Excalipur

Excalipur Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2017
    I beat the abomination, but I haven’t unlocked anyone yet.

Also, wow, I can’t believe there hasn’t been more buzz about this game from steam, or wherever it’s been. It’s got so much going on.

adin and Gwarmaxx like this.
  11. pathogen541

pathogen541 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2016
    Just purchased. Played 5 minutes. And just like a depressed single mother and her toxic single man..... i've decided Im in love. Probably will get pregnant soon with Shub-nibburath's baby.

12. Gwarmaxx

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    wow guys, the more i play this game the more FANTASTIC i find it!

@Blini_Games @Darth Stallker @Lull4by @Repulsa @Excalipur
    unfortunately i'm not understanding how the whole system/story works:
    i've made a couple of times all the mansion (secret rooms included), and so far so good.
    then i've made the runs in the hospital, and doubts have arisen: in the first run, i've just visited the 80% of rooms, collected loot, beaten the boss and then, knowing little about the game (would have liked to visit all the rooms), i've jumped to the Strange Place without being able to go back (imo that's a conceptual error, we should be able to return, at least to the save point, to complete all rooms/story), i could only rejump in the circle and start chapter 3 (Cemetery).
    in my second run i explored everything more wisely, visited 90% of rooms (also in that case i would have liked to visit all the rooms), beaten the boss, opened the teleport to the strange place, found the professor, found the laboratory key, found the laboratory door and jumped there... wth!!! that's a new complete huge map and there is no way to go back, and mostly it's still part of chapter 2!!! (i've killed the app then reloaded and i was still at the lab, gone to SP then on the teleport and found myself at the very start of a new Hospital run!!!).
    so, my questions/doubts are: why in the first run (or in each run i guess ) i would have skipped a major part of the story, like that of the lab, jumping on the teleport to the Strange Place, where then i can only start Chapter 3: Cemetery??? is there a way to visit the lab and complete the whole story later in the game??? (but i don't think so 'cause it was part of chapter 2).

anybody here who can explain me how it works?

btw, what's the purpose of that corpse of myself in that corner of Strange Place? if i examine it, i die... is there some trick on it? ;)

13. Blini_Games

Blini_Games Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2019
    Hello! We are working on a new update. More details to come soon!

adin, raravan and Lull4by like this.
  14. Blini_Games

Jun 4, 2019
    Hello!
    If you leave a level and you have the feeling that you left something behind, you can leave the game once you are at the Strange Place. All the items that you character has will go to the storage. Then, start a new story, and you can play from the last level that you completed. Best thing is that you will go first to the Strange place to take all your stuff, and start the level as if nothing happened.

About your issues at the hospital, actually, by accessing to the laboratory you did all that you have to do at the Hospital level, as you found your access to the secret sub-level. Yes, this is part of the Hospital, but it is also an independent level so, unless you leave to the Strange Place, losing all your progress, you can continue in the secret laboratory (which is what you are supposed to do). Basically, if you go to the SP from the laboratory, yeah, you will have to repeat the quest at the Hospital.

You will be able to start from the Cemetery, once you complete that location, from the level selection menu.

It can be a bit confusing at the beginning but if you want to complete the whole story, think that almost every level has a secret sublevel, and it is in those places where the info about the Great Old Ones is hidden!

Oh! And the corpse in the SP it is just to mess with you guys :) Is this a Lovecraftian game, or what? Plus, you should get an achievement out of that.

If you have any more questions, we will be happy to answer them!

adin, raravan, Lull4by and 2 others like this.
  15. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    This!
    In fact I believe every mobile game should have the ability to “bookmark” (for want of a better word) your game, allowing you to return to the exact spot you left, even after shutting down the device.
    This is simply because mobile phones are not just gaming machines. It is very frequent when using them to need to leave the game and answer calls, text messages, emails, annoying face time calls from daughters, etc.
    Developers may say that you can just suspend the game and do other things, but mobile gamers well know that suspending a mobile game does not mean you can reliably return to the game to your exact position with all items, etc, that you had.

Having a robust save system is as important to me as the game being premium, rather than free to play, when deciding to play it.

andsoitgoes, nickhoola and anthony78 like this.
  16. Blini_Games

Jun 4, 2019
    Hello, we are working on a new update right now. We will be able to offer further details really soon! We really hear you, and appreciate your comments. Bear with us on this one :)

stubbieoz, nickhoola, raravan and 6 others like this.
  17. Repulsa

Jul 3, 2015
    So for giggles I just played a run on easy and it seems as though the boss and other enemy difficulty is exactly the same... what makes it easy?

18. pathogen541

Jun 19, 2016
    Just a thought: it’d be rad to have the option to toggle the aiming reticule on and off for firing your weapon. It’s easy to aim the Molotov’s etc, but it’s difficult to get a bead on where I am aiming my regular weapon. Having that little dot hovering up front when firing would be awesome. Just my 2 cents.

19. pathogen541

Jun 19, 2016
    Final thought: let us increase the size of the area for firing our weapon. My thumb keeps sliding off the screen and I end up getting kill because the stick is in the very bottom the corner and can’t be moved out the same way the movement stick can. So the reticule and increase the size of the input area for the firing stick. Done.

Love the game btw. Absolutely fantastic

20. Lull4by

Lull4by Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2014
    The game just got the "Game of the Week".

Congratulations!