Universal Lovecraft's Untold Stories (by Blini Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by BigDich, Jun 3, 2019.

1. Repulsa

Repulsa Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2015
    Developers, 14.99 well spent! I didn’t realize that I could try the boss again from right outside the boss room *face palm* this is all I needed, great job and I’m really enjoying it!

2. PBSNellie

PBSNellie Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Southern CA
    Some of us are not as good as others. Hence the "easy" mode. This mode should have the option to revive where you died. I get the concept of permadeath but with levels as long as the ones in this game, there should be an option or obvious checkpoints so if you die, you can re-strategize the room you were in. A lot of games offer this option. It helps the player practice and get better at the game. As it is, I spent 45 minutes and got 3/4 through the mansion only to lose everything when I died. I am not too motivated to do this again. For 10.00, I think the game should have this option. Please consider it, I am debating whether or not to ask for a refund otherwise.

icoker, nickhoola and stubbieoz like this.
  3. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    #43 anthony78, Jun 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
    Exactly this! The type of save system may be traditional but it doesn’t suit mobile at all. Especially hearing this is a difficult game. I like challenging games but if I play for 30 minutes and get a phone call and lost all the progress, I’d be infuriated.

So I’m out. Glad I held off before knowing about it.

icoker and nickhoola like this.
  4. Blini_Games

Blini_Games Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2019
    Hello Repulsa, thanks a lot! We realized that our game requires more time to explore than the regular rogue-likes, that is why we provided the players with many savepoints. Making a pure rogue-like with our gameplay that takes you to the very beginning if you die would have been the perfect way to lose sanity (pun intended) :)

5. Blini_Games

Jun 4, 2019
    Hello, we understand that our game can be real hardcore at some point. We have just released the iOS version 24 hours ago. We need some time to gather all the feedback from the users, discuss which are the biggest problems in our app, and fix them accordingly.

During all our experience on PC and console, we have listened to the community and the game has mutated a lot since the first version, thanks to our users' feedback and iOS will be the same.

Having said that, feel free to refund for now, and check once in a while for updates, and maybe re-buy if you feel that the iOS version evolved as you expected. No hard feelings on our side. :)

icoker likes this.
  6. jpgold

jpgold Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Online Ad Sales - Pandora
    New York, NY
    I'm definitely grabbing this if the saving is updated.

Know that it would take away from the hardcore aspect, but sounds like it would just be too frustrating without the saves.

Death Road to Canada and Wayward Souls are two good examples of hardcore mobile games, that still allow for shorter bursts due to the way they save when you close the app.

Will be following and hope this game is a success!

icoker likes this.
  7. Blini_Games

Jun 4, 2019
    Thanks a lot for your support!

8. anthony78

Nov 13, 2015
    It could even be a quick save system that just saves your progress if you need to get off for a call or take a break. But if you die you still have to start over (ie., that save point would be deleted in the event of death).

You just can’t rely on being able to play for 30 minutes or more on a mobile device. I know I can’t.

So if it’s ever updated, I may bite. But not in its current state.

adin and Collin like this.
  9. Blini_Games

Jun 4, 2019
    For a short break, or if you get a call you can minimize the game and it will be on pause until you open it again and continue from that point. What we understand that people demand is a save system where you can stop playjng at any time, even close the game from memory so it doesn't consume battery, and when you open it again, to continue from that point.

If it is the first thing, you can keep the game on the background for a short term already on pause.

If it is the second thing, that is what we need to study.

10. anthony78

Nov 13, 2015
    It’s both. And I’ve had plenty of times where if a call comes in, even with pausing or “minimizing” the app, the game loses the memory from your phone and it acts as if you just opened the app. It’s unreliable at best.

andsoitgoes and Collin like this.
  11. Blini_Games

Jun 4, 2019
    Fair enough :) We will have a sit down in the studio to see what we can do. Thanks a lot for your insight!

adin, andsoitgoes, icoker and 2 others like this.
  12. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    First, welcome to TA — always glad to have developers post here.

On the saving issue, one thing that PC/Steam developers miss is that iOS Is very aggressive when it comes to memory management. It’s not uncommon for a phone call to shut down a game without warning. Automatically saving your state has little to do with making the game easier — it’s about addressing the realities of mobile gaming.

Here’s an example of a game that does this right: Elder Scrolls: Blades. In that game, dungeons are essentially rogue-like; if you get killed, you end up back in town without any loot collected and with any consumables used still spent. If you quit the game, however, it always picks up exactly where you left off in the dungeon. The key here is that it takes no action from the player to make that work — it’s automatic. You are still taking a risk when you head out to a mission, but not when you switch apps.

In any event, good luck with the game. From what I’ve played so far, it’s worth the premium price.

13. JasonLL

JasonLL Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2014
    Male
    I agree this would be the best way to handle it. It keeps the intentions of the developer in tact (no save scumming) and gives the game more mobile flexibility.

Absolutely! Having been out of the Desktop loop for a while this game came as a total surprise.

adin and icoker like this.
  14. Blini_Games

Jun 4, 2019
    Hello! and thanks a lot for this useful feedback. We will take a look to Elder Scrolls and see if we can replicate! Thanks again, this was helpful!

adin, icoker, nickhoola and 1 other person like this.
  15. sharfaust

sharfaust Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2013
    Am I the only one that would prefer the 20-25 hours of gameplay on mobile also? Sounds like A LOT was cut if the mobile length is only 5 hours. I like a lot of bang for my buck. It’s the only thing holding me back from purchasing.

andsoitgoes and Collin like this.
  16. sakara214ever

sakara214ever Well-Known Member

May 10, 2012
    I couldn't agree more. We have a really great game here getting ruined by such a simple issue. Hope the devs solve it.

17. Blini_Games

Jun 4, 2019
    Hello, you misunderstood. It is 5 hours LESS than the PC version, meaning 15 to 20 hours of gameplay.

sebgo, adin, Erpiotta5 and 7 others like this.
  18. JasonLL

JasonLL Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2014
    Male
    Ruined, in general, is putting it too harshly. Many users will not have an issue with the more traditional save system. I understand that there are gamers in your position that can’t play for longer sessions and maybe that does completely ruin the experience for you. I do sympathize and hope for a more robust save feature since more accessibility is better than less especially if it doesn’t compromise the gameplay.

There’s no true game breaking bug, as far as I know, and everything from the presentation to the gameplay is top notch for an action RPG.

19. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    Just adding another vote for the second option you mention. Basically creating a temporary save state when you exit out of the game is a must on mobile. Pretty much exactly what Squarezero said above.

As for how the actual hard save points work in the game, I think they are fine, but it also couldn't hurt to add an "easy" mode or something with more robust saving for those that want it, and perhaps a "hardcore" mode that features the same level lengths as the PC version for those that want it and can plan ahead for having a longer game session.

Whatever the case this game rules even as is, thanks for bringing it to mobile.

adin, Erpiotta5, andsoitgoes and 4 others like this.
  20. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    #60 Gwarmaxx, Jun 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
    totally agree with you...

@Blini_Games a couple of questions:
    what's the purpose of that corpse of myself in that corner of Strange Place? if i examine it, i die... is there some trick on it? ;)
    what do that blood streams on the portrait mean (even at full hp)? is it madness?

btw, i love that "drunkenness" effect on screen, a real touch of class!

andsoitgoes likes this.