Universal Lost Socks: Naughty Brothers (by Power Place Publishing LP)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Mar 1, 2016.

1. #Bonk3rZ

#Bonk3rZ Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2014
    top of the world
    Soo ... free to play now ...

In fact, it's quite a big update. But no word about the ftp thing. (?) I don't dare to try it out ...

Does anyone already know how this will affect the game for those who bought it? I really love this game, but I'd hate to have to cope with ftp shenanigans like energy from now on. And since they made it free to play, there must be stuff to buy ...

As for the upgrades, I of course own everything already, but it seems there has been some changes there too. Will I have to buy new stuff to play now? Again, any info would be appreciated.

Maybe from the devs themselves?

2. Son of Anarchy

Son of Anarchy Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2015
    Male
    Shadow Runner
    Australia
    Came here to ask the same questions you have. For whatever reason, the game went free late last year. But it's only the recent update that has added in app purchases.

The update seems to have added excellent 'quality of life' type new features but I dare not touch it till I know the situation and how previous full price buyers will be affected.

Here's hoping the developers chime in soon.

3. sobriquet

sobriquet Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2015
    Compared the two versions and the only obvious difference is the addition of a coin shop. Very good prices too. My progress was restored from the cloud so no loss there. The update includes balance tweaks but I seriously doubt they made it any harder. The game was already brutal. Besides, they also added checkpoints.

I don't think the developers are trying to pull a fast one on anybody. I mean, they were already giving the game away.

4. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Frankly, I think the game is way more fun now. Before it was way too frustrating for me.

5. nkarafo

nkarafo Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Very good game. I don't know but I think that they have not messed it with the whole f2p system as other games because I have already got all the weapons/powers and I didn't see any difference in gameplay. The checkpoints are nice addons. Even 1 dollar / euro in price drops was like a steal for this game!

6. nerfgames

nerfgames Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2015
    Games
    #606 nerfgames, Sep 7, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi! Sorry for not posting here. We have believed that this thread is quite dead:)
    This year has been challenging for us: porting game to android(we are using our own in-house engine), rewriting some aspects of game, AND working on our next title, which will be a multiplayer game.

We did switch to F2p, because of too low incomes from paid version. We have also set our game free earlier to gather better statistics about how users behave in our game.

Now we are back with an update! Yes, it enables F2p, but we didn't crank up difficulty. In fact, we have made Lost Socks more easy to play by adding checkpoints, because a lot of people have claimed to struggle with the dificulty and statistics has proven their point.

All your purchases remain purchased. And if we later remove something from the shop, we will return in-game currency that you have paid for buying that stuff:)

What F2P mechanics are there?
    1. you are able to watch a video in the and of the level to double earned coins
    2. Also you can buy coin packs if you want
    That's it.

What has got better? We have fixed/removed some unclear/unused mechanics in the game.
    For example, it was very hard to tell how to earn points and coins in the level. What gives you points and what doesn't. So we have squashed them together. There are no points from now on, only coins.

The levels were too hard for a lot of players. So we have added checkpoints so that even if you are not so good at playing "Lost Soscks", you are still able to progress.

The cages could only be broken using slice. Which forced users to save it in case the cage is very close. So now the cages are destroyed by simple touch.

You don't have to tap'n'release'n'hold the jump button to float in the air. You can just hold the jump button to make the biggest leap possible.

You don't have to smash shoot button on lower level weapons anymore.

So a lot of small changes like that, making our game better!

Enjoy:)

7. sobriquet

sobriquet Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2015

Have you changed the amount of coins earned in game to encourage IAP purchases or ad watching?

Will you be bringing these changes over to the Apple TV version?

Thank you and good luck with your next title.

8. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Somehow missed this the first time. Not a big auto runner fan normally but love the look of this with ‘earthworm jim’ style art. Looks great

9. nerfgames

Dec 24, 2015
    Games
    We have changed amount of coins earned during the level in following way:
    1) Any action that previously gave you points, now gives you the same ammount of coins.
    2) After dying, your coin amount resets to the same state as it was at the last checkpoint.

Because of that we have also changed prices in the shop.

While doing our playtests we have thoroughly checked that it is possible to complete the game without IAP/ads completing each level at average twice. This is the same average as it was before.
    I guess, low skilled players might struggle with money a bit (funny thing: previously we have encouraged bad players by not resetting coin ammount. So there was a huge issue with us not being able to calculate how much money should anything cost)

No, Apple TV will not be updated, sorry. It is too difficult to support it and we have very small amount of users playing on it.

TL;DR
    - We did nothing that could force players to watch ads/purchase in-apps
    - Apple TV will not be updated:(
    - Thank you, my dear friend:)

10. nerfgames

Dec 24, 2015
    Games
    Thank you very much:)
    Please tell us how you like our mechanics as you progress in the game:)

11. phant0mw0rm

phant0mw0rm Member

May 3, 2016
    I hoped that this update would have brought some bug fixes, but it is not.
    I'm still unable to complete the challenge in level 3-7.
    Do you think you will ever fix that?

12. DTK

DTK Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2014
    Marketing
    Berlin Germany
    #612 DTK, Nov 29, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
    Greedy Devs!

I bought this premium game in the summer of 2016.
    In December 2016, the premium version was replaced in the German Appstore.
    Since then, there is only one F2P version, with IAP for coins!
    ##
    Why could not the premium version continue to exist here in Germany like in US!?
    It would have been enough to publish a free version in addition!
    Then everyone could have chosen which version he would like (Premium or F2P)!

13. jpgold

jpgold Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Online Ad Sales - Pandora
    New York, NY
    I absolutely loved this game.

@the devs if you see this....any plans to update and optimize for the X?

14. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    I think the US version also went f2p :(

15. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Cant blame devs sadly if the app hasnt made them enough money. If people dont buy it they have to really go freemium to try and get some money back.

Shame !

16. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    If you go back one page, the dev explained all this. They actually did a good job with the conversion if you ask me. If you played before, nothing was lost and the new checkpoints actually make the game easier.

Seems fine to me and I hate when devs do this stuff. F2P elements are not in your face and I struggled at the point where I was when they went F2P and actually have made it further since the change.

That’s a good thing for me at least.:)

17. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    The US version went free to play at the same time, it only went back to being paid (99¢) today. The IAP is still there. And, the switch in pay models last year was really one of the best I've ever seen, as they added a ton of features and didn't screw with the difficulty, merely added the ability to buy coins or watch ads for coins for anyone that wanted to. Here's the developer explaining the changes last year: