Universal Lost Portal CCG (By Michael Camilli)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Feb 18, 2016.

1. LordFoul

LordFoul Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 15, 2009
    Software Developer
    New Jersey
    The Brown Dragon (which drops the Earth Dragon) can show up in the random keep and forest dungeons. There are about 50 other non-boss enemies that can show up in those dungeons as well. The Ferden (which drops Overgrowth) can also appear in those same two dungeons.

2. Taznak

Taznak Active Member

Jan 14, 2021
    Male
    Forest? That's odd... in Soltaria, I get 3 random dungeons out of (in clockwise order):

Cave
    Wizard's Tower
    Machine Works
    Lair
    Desert Ruins
    Burned Castle
    Tomb
    Abandoned Mine

When you say random keep, I guess that could be the Burned Castle, or maybe the Wizard's Tower. But none of the dungeons that show up resemble a forest.

3. LordFoul

Patreon Bronze

Jul 15, 2009
    Software Developer
    New Jersey
    The forest can show up outside the Ruins of Aryn. There is a bug that is preventing the keep from showing up in Soltaria, so that will be fixed in the next update.

4. Taznak

Taznak Active Member

Jan 14, 2021
    Male
    Haha, no wonder I wasn't finding those enemies in Soltaria! That's good to hear, thanks as always.

5. Taznak

Taznak Active Member

Jan 14, 2021
    Male
    So, I thought I'd lay out a bunch of feedback regarding the game and this latest update:

1. I love the change to Sleight of Hand, acquisition rate of Avatar cards in particular felt too low previously, now it feels pretty good.

2. I like Consume. Having bricked lanes with 0-attack units felt bad, and having to use destruction spells just to unclog those lanes also felt bad. Consume basically fixes this problem for me. That said, would it be possible to make creatures with Consume playable when you already have a full board?

3. Speaking of attack, the game's terminology could be cleaned up a little regarding this word. In Lost Portal, Attack is both a stat (creatures have Life and Attack stats), as well as an action (creatures attack at the end of turn), and using two separate terms for these would clear up some confusion. For instance, the first time I read the Blitz spell when you posted it on this forum, I interpreted the "Target creature gets +1 attack" portion of the spell as "Target creature attacks one additional time", and had to go back to check War Axe to realize that you use different wording for that kind of effect.

4. Moving on to Fatigue: Rush makes a creature immune to fatigue, and therefore it attacks the same turn it comes into play. However, the Lightning Field ability from 25 Agility says it gives your creatures Rush, but it does not; the Spin Web ability from Webspinner, as well as the Binding Webs spell, will still fatigue units for whom Lightning Field activated when they came into play, unlike units that have Rush as a baseline ability. I imagine this is working as intended, so maybe the wording for Lightning Field could be clarified.

5. One more point on Fatigue: Creatures should lose 1 point of Fatigue at End or Turn, rather than at Start of Turn. As is, let's say I play two creatures, A and B, on the same turn: Lightning Field Activates for A, but not for B, so on my turn 1, only A attacks. My opponent then casts Binding Webs, adding +2 Fatigue to both; A is now at 2 Fatigue, and B is at 3 Fatigue. On my turn 2, at Start of Turn, Fatigue drops to 1 for A, and to 2 for B, so neither creature attacks. On my turn 3, at Start of Turn, A's fatigue drops to 0 so it gets to attack, but B still can't attack. Over these three turns, creature A got two more attacks than creature B thanks to its Lightning Field activation, which I think is not intended behavior. This would be fixed by moving Fatigue reduction to the End of Turn phase.

6. Card acquisition: There's a few cards which I think cannot be acquired from any duel, or from any shop, or from any forge: Predator Dragon, Restoration Potion, Dragon Egg, Seeds of Life. I think there used to be an enemy in the campaign that had Predator Dragon in its deck, but I'm not sure that's currently the case. The absence of Gold and Gray cards from shops and forges can make these a little too hard to find... maybe you could give them the Balrock's Ring treatment, and make them a guaranteed find in one specific shop?

7. One more comment on Consume: Green opponents sometimes like to buff one of their creatures with Sickening Strength, then immediately consume that buffed unit because it was poisoned. While amusing, I don't think this self-sabotage is intended.

8. Using the dungeon art as the background for duels looks good, I like it

9. I like the addition of a new Disruption spell to each color, it used to feel like Disruption was mostly just a Blue thing.

That's all I've got for now. I really love this game, and I'm very grateful that you're willing to read our comments here and keep making it even better.

6. LordFoul

Patreon Bronze

Jul 15, 2009
    Software Developer
    New Jersey
    Thanks for all of that feedback. I think the consume with the field full is a bug which I'll look into. I'll see if I can clean up other stuff as well.

7. LordFoul

Patreon Bronze

Jul 15, 2009
    Software Developer
    New Jersey
    Here are some changes based on your feedback:

CONSUME
    • I fixed a check for when your board is full to allow a creature with consume to still be cast, so that should fix this issue.
    • I modified the AI to be a little smarter so it shouldn't immediately consume a creature pumped up by sickening strength.
    RUSH
    • I agree with you and changed the fatigue decrement to occur at the end of the turn instead of the beginning. Looks like it works fine so far. That will give the two creatures in your example the same 2 turns of fatigue/non-attack you'd expect from the webs.
    • I changed the wording of Lightning Field to indicate they come into play without fatigue instead of gaining rush, which would be more powerful given the immunity it gives to webs.
    SILVER/GOLD CARDS
    The Dragon Egg always drops in Mount Kazul dungeon, but the others would only drop as random common (Restoration Potion), rare (Predator Dragon, Seeds of Life) drops throughout any dungeon. As you've noticed, they are not showing up in card shops so that is something I'll think about how to fix as well - as you said, I could add them to specific shops at the least. I am also going to take a look at adding those cards to some enemy decks, as there really should be some using them.

TERMINOLOGY
    I understand the confusion with 'attack', so I'll give it some thought. I don't know if I will change it, unless I can really think of something I like better. I think if you look through most alteration and item cards you'll see it say something like 'creature gains +2 attack and +2 life', that sort of thing. I could, for instance, change 'attack' to 'attack power'. Have to see how it looks.

DUEL SCREEN ARTWORK
    Marc gave me some slight upgrades to the art for the duel screen backgrounds, so those will be coming in the next update. We talked about maybe making more of them, where they might be different based on your color affinity or maybe even allow you to choose ones similar to card backs. We'll see what he comes up with.

8. Inoritcev

Inoritcev New Member

Mar 28, 2022
    Congratulations for the last expansion!
    I love the new cards, new mechanics (particularly the ethereal one) and the new drop rate of the avatar cards (which now feels balanced).
    I still have a few suggestions, questions :
    1) Unless it is already present and I did not notice it, it would be great to know which cards are missing from the player's collection.
    2) I would love to be able to select, one way or another, the dungeon I want to wander to loot specific cards and not rely only on the rng. Repopulating the cleared zones could help? Or having more options for the ancient portal?
    3) Maybe I did not look correctly, but it seems strange to me that the expansions' city merchants don't sell specific cards from said expansions.
    4) The forge price for avatar cards is still a little too high to my taste.
    5) The gauntlet feels too short to me (I would prefer 5 or 6 levels) and the final reward is always disappointing (3 cards does not feel super generous).
    6) I would love to get a special merchant in the gauntlet, with gold, gray (and avatar?) cards to sell (even for a high price). Maybe some kind of boss you would have to defeat before you can trade with it?
    7) Do you think it would be possible for the game to auto select the starting aeons' color based on deck composition? It is annoying to have to exit the game and edit the file each time you want to change decks.
    8) Does the difficulty level influence the drop rate of cards?

Great work anyway, I love the game and I still have a lot of fun designing new decks!

Thank you for your time reading this!

9. LordFoul

Patreon Bronze

Jul 15, 2009
    Software Developer
    New Jersey
    Thanks for all of the comments. If you press on the "Library" title at the top of the deck editor, it will toggle to show cards you do not have yet faded out.

10. LordFoul

Patreon Bronze

Jul 15, 2009
    Software Developer
    New Jersey
  11. Grinner

Grinner Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2017
    I’ve got a full tableau (Woodland Overseer and a bunch of spoor worms). I want to play my Armored Skitterer but It won’t allow the consume. Maybe without an available space it doesn’t think it can find a spot?

12. LordFoul

Patreon Bronze

Jul 15, 2009
    Software Developer
    New Jersey
    This will be fixed in the next update!

13. PBSNellie

PBSNellie Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Southern CA
    I FINALLY put some time into this one and I'm really enjoying it. Don't know what took me so long.

14. LordFoul

Patreon Bronze

Jul 15, 2009
    Software Developer
    New Jersey
    Here are a few changes I have been working on, many based on your comments:

QUEST RESET
    I've added a button that gives you the ability to reset a quest when you are in town. This resets the quest state and erases the existing dungeon, which allows you to go get the quest and do the entire dungeon again. I am still playing with this, but I have it activated from the Quest Log when you look at the quest details.

GAUNTLET
    I increased the size of the guantlet, adding a couple of more levels, and added more rewards at the end. I also added a card shop there that has a few random Avatar cards.

COLOR AFFINITY
    I added a button to the player status card that allows you to easily toggle between the four colors for your color affinity. This seems super easy now to switch color affinity now, although it may not be very obvious that it is there. The button is the color icon that previously wasn't displayed on the player card.

CARD SHOPS AND FORGES
    I added some specific expansion cards at various card shops and forges throughout the expansion towns and dungeons. I also tweaked the costs at the forge to make copying cards a little bit cheaper.

LANDSCAPE MODE
    I am working on a landscape mode for the iPad. Note this does not fill the entire screen, but puts the game in the middle of the screen with black bars on either side so the screens look the same as before in vertical mode. Landscape mode has long requested given how the iPad tends to be used in landscape mode, so hopefully I can get it working and delivered in the next update. Given all the various flavors of iPad, I have a lot of testing to do but it looks good so far.

Inoritcev and Grinner like this.
  15. Inoritcev

Inoritcev New Member

Mar 28, 2022
    Wow, cool changes! Thanks!!
    Did you upload an update or is it still work in progress?

16. LordFoul

Patreon Bronze

Jul 15, 2009
    Software Developer
    New Jersey
    I haven't submitted the update yet, still some testing to do...

17. Tychaeus

Tychaeus Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2015
    We want Star Portal....an..an..andand...ANDROID plsssss =/
    I'm sooo sad I just cant do apple anymore and you and your card game ... even years later..I still think about, wish I could still play, and I still drool/dream about Star Portal. Oh well, I do understand, just sad =/

18. Grinner

Grinner Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2017
    I have a Ravenous Spider on a Life Relic. Is there a reason I’m missing why the Might capability is not activating or is this a bug? I can still make it venomous.

19. LordFoul

Patreon Bronze

Jul 15, 2009
    Software Developer
    New Jersey
    The Might ability happens to be marked as Black and it is getting impacted by the Black Immunity imparted by the Life Relic. I just changed the code to make the ability have no color, so that should fix it. That ability gets used by a lot of different creatures of different colors.

20. PBSNellie

PBSNellie Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Southern CA
    I'm late to the party but have a question. Does anyone know how to start a new game without going through the tutorial?