Universal Lost Portal CCG (By Michael Camilli)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Feb 18, 2016.

1. LordFoul

LordFoul Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 15, 2009
    Software Developer
    New Jersey
    Right, you have the idea. I do like the concept of a spell or ability that boosts your aeon field temporarily just for that turn, so you can get a bigger spell off. Something to consider for an expansion.

2. LordFoul

Patreon Bronze

Jul 15, 2009
    Software Developer
    New Jersey
    You are right, it always targets the opposing creature. I'll clarify that, thanks!

3. ZS77

ZS77 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2015
    #103 ZS77, Feb 21, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
    Game breaking bug!

@ LordFoul -

Hi. I'm gutted for 2 reasons -

1. Because I wrote you a rely long message saying how awesome (if a little rough around the edges) you game is but managed to delete it by mistake without copying first! D'oh!! Completely hooked, played hundreds of games and have a 54 card deck of red death.....,which makes point 2 even more annoying....

2. Have found a game breaking bug. Got to second enemy in Tryndel North map (female Orc Mage I think?). Played a couple of games against her and kept losing, so I saved for a break and quit out. I reloaded later and played one more game against her. Upon losing again and returning to the map, my character card is now stuck in the top right corner (I entered the map from the bottom entrance) and I'm unable to move it. I can access menus/card library etc, I can quit and reload, have tried rebooting game and phone but no joy, still stuck. I'm not entirelyly sure but it might even be that my card is off the map tiles altogether? Not sure though. Any way you can help - I've been playing this solidly for 2 days now and will be gutted to lose my save game/deck. :(

Thanks - and even if my game can't be saved, I would still highly recommend this to anyone looking for a fast and aggressive CCG....to be fair, I'm not a CCG fan but this really hooked me in.....word of advice to all newcomers though, persevere - it's a tough learning curve with no tutorial to speak of. It can be s bit unfair at times, sometimes relies on luck of the draw a bit too much - but I guess that's partly the nature of a CCG game when played like this. Well done LordFoul - just a bit of polishing up (mainly the questing/adventuring/navigating dynamics) and you've got a real winner as far as I'm concerned.

Attached Files:

4. LordFoul

Patreon Bronze

Jul 15, 2009
    Software Developer
    New Jersey
    Ugh! Don't delete your game. Thanks to your detailed description, I already see the bug in the code and will fix it in the next patch. The change should help get your character off that spot, but I will reproduce it myself and make sure.

I am planning on submitting a patch soon with a new game manual, town portal and some other changes I could fit in, and will get this in with it.
    Thanks for the kind comments, I appreciate it and glad you are enjoying it!

5. creedofhubris

creedofhubris Active Member

Aug 15, 2011
    One other suggestion/comment: I tried Extreme, got no bonus cards in my suit (thus starting with only the 30 base cards), lost a few of my first matches and am having trouble getting to 30 cards, even after selling everything that's not nailed down. I would recommend making sure that some (half?) of your uncommon cards at startup are in your chosen color, so you can put them in your deck, and at least giving you a chance at Extreme.

6. LordFoul

Patreon Bronze

Jul 15, 2009
    Software Developer
    New Jersey
    I reproduced the issue and verified that the fix will move your character back to the proper spot. I also added some code to detect this and hopefully prevent it in the future.

7. imdakine1

imdakine1 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Thanks for sharing as I am excited to eventually get this as I stated earlier I'm all about premium and new to this genre. You comments and issues made me more excited about the fake as it sounds like it is a deep game with many hours of fun!

I'm also pleased to hear from the developer who is working to address the lack of tutorial as for me to the genre makes this sound fun but overwhelming!

8. LordFoul

Patreon Bronze

Jul 15, 2009
    Software Developer
    New Jersey
    Yes, once you lose some cards early it can be a downhill slide and force you to start over. I'll give your suggestion some thought.

9. LordFoul

Patreon Bronze

Jul 15, 2009
    Software Developer
    New Jersey
    Yes, the manual has a lot of information that is also on the website (http://www.lostportalccg.com), plus whatever else I could think to add. Any CCG has a steep learning curve as you learn all of the cards and abilities. Hopefully the manual helps with that. If you do take the plunge and are confused, just ask and I'll be happy to help. I'm going to keep working to make it easier to learn/play so would appreciate any feedback.

10. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Also, I recently had a bad experience of losing a match and so losing 10 gold, I then rematches immediately and won on the next go, but I only won 9 gold. All up, I went net down gold despite progressing in the campaign. I know 1 gold isn't a big deal, but what I'm really getting at is the principal and possibility of a decline with this mechanic. I just think that's a little too harsh. Definately enjoy a challenge, but maybe the gold award needs to have a preset minimum or....Yeh not sure how best to handle without taking away too much challenge. I can see a downwards spiral if a player simply could not beat that match...but maybe that's the purpose of the game. I just don't recall a CCG with a campaign like this where it's even possible to downward spiral. Maybe a boss fight requiring 20 failed attempts before a lucky hand draw (and unlucky for the boss), but nothing comes to mind where it's possible to take steps backwards until game over.

11. ZS77

ZS77 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2015
    You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar! That's great to hear, thanks very much - I will await the update with bated breath......and a 2nd run through with an undead deck! :) Cheers

12. LordFoul

Patreon Bronze

Jul 15, 2009
    Software Developer
    New Jersey
    I understand what you are saying, the gold gain/loss is extremely random at the end of a duel. Sometimes you can be very unlucky. It is even worse when you play on hard and lose actual cards from your deck. However, what is not as random is when you defeat a boss you will get some valuable cards and turn in the quest to get gold. Also there are cards scattered about the dungeon behind some of the enemies so that can help. I see what you mean about not being able to recover if you lose enough games. You'd need somewhere you could go to gain gold and recover.

13. sbirksy666

sbirksy666 Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2012
    All this game would need to combat the money issue is a never ending dungeon :) with tons of enemies.....further you go down the better money rewards you can get? Like beating every 10 floors will net you some basic cards and the next ten floors will net you some better cards

With the ability to reset the dungeon so if it gets too hard you can go back to the easy enemies

14. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    If putting out ideas for the future here...

How about something like an Endless Tournament? The player makes a deck and then is locked into that deck as they beat as many opponents successively as they can (full heal between each matchup but no rewards post duel on wins). This goes until the player is finally defeated at which point they're given an award in cash or rare cards based on how many rounds they made it.

While I love that I normally can make tweaks to my deck between duels, or even switch decks entirely, but that always then feels like all I have to do is make the ideal deck to counter each AI whom does not have the ability to modify their decks as well. So the above would be a fun feat of studliness showing how your deck can take on all comers once the tourney starts. Hopefully top number of match wins is recorded in a local Hall of Fame as well.

15. blujay2012

blujay2012 Member

Aug 23, 2015
    #115 blujay2012, Feb 22, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
    Hi LordFoul,
    I am an iPad user. If I buy this iPhone version now, will I have to pay again when the iPad version is out ?

16. teknalb

teknalb Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2015
    I just finished the campaign. I have no clue what I'm going to do with the rest of my life...

17. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Start again using another colour and harder difficulty?

18. nkarafo

nkarafo Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2011
    :) :) :) :) :)

19. creedofhubris

creedofhubris Active Member

Aug 15, 2011
    Try Blue on Extreme. Let me know if you get anywhere.

20. nkarafo

nkarafo Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2011
    One thing that I like more for this game is that it doesn't drain the battery. It has not heavy graphics, nor constant internet connection, so it has normal consumption.
    :cool: