Universal Lost Portal CCG (By Michael Camilli)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Taznak

Taznak Active Member

Jan 14, 2021
    Male
    Pretty sure you can replicate King of Beasts. What's going on is the following, as far as I can tell: The forge doesn't allow you to sacrifice copies of cards you are currently using in one or more of your decks. So, imagine you had 3 copies of King of Beasts, and you wanted to sacrifice all 3 of them to craft some other Avatar card. If one of your decks includes a copy of King of Beasts, then you are only allowed to sacrifice 2 of your 3 copies, because one of them is in use in one of your decks. If you edited your decks to make sure none of them were using any copies of King of Beasts, then you could sacrifice all 3 copies at the forge.

Of course, you want to craft a new copy, not sacrifice the one you have. Well, the same applies here; a card that you can't sacrifice at the forge, will also not show up as eligible to copy. You have two options to make the card show up in the forge if you want to copy it:
    1. Make sure you have at least 1 copy of King of Beasts that is NOT being used in any of your decks. If you only have one copy of the card, then make sure none of your decks are using that card. The card will then show up in the Forge as normal.
    2. This is my preferred method, because it doesn't require you to go removing cards from your decks. Enter the Forge, then press the button at the very bottom of the screen that says "Library". You should now be able to find King of Beasts in the forge. It will be grayed out, meaning there are no copies of that card that are available to be sacrificed at the forge, because all copies are in use in 1 or more decks. You can still drag the grayed out King of Beasts to the center of the forge and craft a copy of it.

Cheers!

2. Verbalx

Verbalx New Member

Jun 28, 2021
    Male
    Yup, I knew about (1) but not (2). I thought I checked all my decks the first few times I attempted forging, but I missed one. Thanks for setting me straight.

3. LordFoul

LordFoul Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 15, 2009
    Software Developer
    New Jersey
    Hi Verbalx,

Thanks for the kind words about Lost Portal - I am glad you still are enjoying it after several years! I just tested forging the King of the Beasts and did not have any trouble doing so. What type of problem are you seeing when you try to duplicate it in the Forge?

Mike

p.s. attaching a few cards from the new expansion.

IMG_4355.jpg IMG_4354.jpg IMG_4353.jpg

4. LordFoul

Patreon Bronze

Jul 15, 2009
    Software Developer
    New Jersey
    @Taznak - thanks for answering that question for me!

5. Verbalx

Verbalx New Member

Jun 28, 2021
    Male
    No worries on King of Beasts, turns out that even though I thought I had removed it from all my decks, I missed one (and didn't know about the "Library" option). I successfully forged a second copy yesterday after fixing my mistake.

The new cards look great — can't wait to play the new expansion!

6. Taznak

Taznak Active Member

Jan 14, 2021
    Male
    I don't know if this is intended or not, but the boss of the Ruined Keep dungeon, Felakis, has black as his color affinity (1 guaranteed black aeon at the start of duels). His deck only uses blue and red cards and aeons, so having black as his color affinity just makes him weaker than if he had a blue or red affinity. Maybe this was done on purpose, maybe not, but I thought I'd point it out.

7. LordFoul

Patreon Bronze

Jul 15, 2009
    Software Developer
    New Jersey
    That's a bug, will be fixed in the next update! Thanks for reporting it.

8. Taznak

Taznak Active Member

Jan 14, 2021
    Male
    If that was a bug, then I figure the same is going on with the boss of the Foul Bog, Veratis. He uses blue and green aeons and cards, but has black as his color affinity.

9. Taznak

Taznak Active Member

Jan 14, 2021
    Male
    So, I just had a damaged Ambush Dragon, and my opponent played Dark Remnant on it. The spell spawned a copy of my Ambush Dragon, which killed the original with Dragon's Breath. After that, Dark Remnant's 4 points of damage triggered... on me, the player, because the creature it was supposed to damage, was already dead.

That interaction seems unintuitive to me, based on Dark Remnant's explainer text.

10. LordFoul

Patreon Bronze

Jul 15, 2009
    Software Developer
    New Jersey
    @Taznak - another nice catch - it will be fixed in the next update.

11. Norf

Norf Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2020
    BUT WHAT ABOUT STAR PORTAL?!??

(srsly, any info would be welcome. What are card types called? What are the colors/archetypes, still red/black/blue/green?)

I have do-the-same-damn-build-itis with Lost Portal, it's like how I tried to play Skyrim not as a Conjure Bow Stealth Archer several times but just kept ending up there... always, always there is Lady of the Grave, and I can't fool myself anymore. But maybe if it was Space Lady from the Grave of Space I'd be ready to take a chance again...

12. Taznak

Taznak Active Member

Jan 14, 2021
    Male
    Norf: I'd like to suggest some alternative deck builds! These are lategame builds which use mostly just Ultra-Rare and Avatar cards, none of them use Lady of the Grave, and all are highly functional, if you have the cards. I play these on my character with Red color affinity with a a statline of 8 Health, 35 Agility, 35 Wisdom, 34 Intellect:

Red + Black beatdown:
    12x Dragon Heart + 1x Torakal + 3x Darkwing Dragon + 1x Underworld Colossus + 4x Ambush Dragon + 2x Ruthless Tyrant + 3x Melt Mind + 3x Curse of the Past + 3x Pearl of Power = 32 cards:
    [​IMG]
    Ambush Dragon and Curse of the Past act as early game removal, and then you take over the board with mid-to-large creatures to start hacking away at your opponent's life total.

Red + Blue lockdown:
    12x Frostfire Orb + 4x Ambush Dragon + 3x Ice Dragon + 1x Tempest + 4x Melt Mind + 2x Reflecting Scepter + 2x Curse of the Past + 3x Pearl of Power + 1x Mind Spike = 32 cards:
    [​IMG]
    In this deck, the idea is to win with the Ice Dragon + Reflecting Scepter combo, which generates an additional Ice Dragon (and an additional Confute) every turn. Melt Mind clears your opponent's hand of cards, then you disrupt whatever he draws with Confute from your Ice Dragons. Big enemy creatures can be recalled back to your opponent's hand with Tempest, then discarded with Melt Mind.

Red + Blue Empower:
    12x Frostfire Orb + 3x Ice Breath + 2x Reflecting Scepter + 4x Pearl of Power + 1x Seeds of Life + 1x Devastate+ 4x Fire Giant + 2x Salamander + 3x Annihilate = 32 cards:
    [​IMG]
    The star of this show is Fire Giant. He's immune to Red sources of damage, so you can nuke the board with Annihilate and even Devastate and he'll be immune. Meanwhile, he buffs up your Ice Breath so it hits like a truck. You can make more Fire Giants with Reflecting Scepter. If your Fire Giant gets hit with Devolve, you can kill him yourself with your board wipe spells (he loses Red Immunity when Devolved), then return him to hand with Annihilate and play them again. Seeds of Life is an early game blocker while you set up your combo, and Salamander is also immune to your board wipes and can reload your destruction spells.

All of these decks can be further refined, but they're pretty functional and have very distinct playstyles compared to one another.

13. Norf

Norf Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2020
    I appreciate the advice, but I've been down this road before. I start out strong, but when I actually get in game, Lady of the Grave starts looking sadly out the window and singing "All by my...self, don't wanna be, all by myseeeeeeelf" and I end up changing whatever my second original color plan was to /black.

14. LordFoul

Patreon Bronze

Jul 15, 2009
    Software Developer
    New Jersey
    Love the deck discussion, guys. I've finished the campaign many times with very different strategies, so it is always great for me to see what others do, and what cards they like to use. My friend likes to gain insane amounts of life abusing Seeds of Life and Spirit Blade.

The next Lost Portal expansion is nearly ready. It has been slow going, and I am still waiting on several more artworks and just play-testing/tweaking at this point. After I (finally) get that update out, I hope to return my attention to Star Portal. The cards in Star Portal are more focused on race and class, instead of color. The idea is you have crew members that each has their own deck, so you can work different deck ideas at the same time.

A couple of other changes that will be going into the next update -

- At my daughter's request, I added a Quest List that will allow you to easily see what your progress is on each quest. I am also adding some card rewards for the quests (using the dungeon artwork for new cards), so hopefully you find that an interesting addition. Still play testing those, but plan to have them ready in the next update.

- I also made a radical change to the level 30 agility ability, Slight of Hand, where it no longer forces discards during the duel. Instead, after winning a duel, it can improve your odds of stealing a better card from your defeated foe.

trollcave.jpg woodland.jpg

raravan and Son of Anarchy like this.
  15. Taznak

Taznak Active Member

Jan 14, 2021
    Male
    Wow, huge change to Sleight of Hand! It's probably for the better, since it'll eliminate the scenario where the first player plays an Aeon card or two, discards his opponent's only Aeon card, and that pretty much decides the match. Playing against an opponent with the current Sleight of Hand is pretty annoying, haha.

Will we be able to get cards like Troll Cave and Woodland on playthroughs where we already completed that zone's quests?

I'm really excited for the new expansion :D

16. LordFoul

Patreon Bronze

Jul 15, 2009
    Software Developer
    New Jersey
    At the moment it would not, but let me think how I could do that and see if I can code something up.

17. LordFoul

Patreon Bronze

Jul 15, 2009
    Software Developer
    New Jersey
    I coded something up - when you update the app to the new version and launch the game it will detect your save is from an older version and automatically award you the new cards for any quests that are already turned in. The new cards will all be in your library.

18. Taznak

Taznak Active Member

Jan 14, 2021
    Male
    Sweet! I'm a bit of a completionist, and having to start over with all of my savefiles in order to get those cards was a daunting proposition

19. zekethebeast

zekethebeast New Member

Oct 18, 2021
    Male
    First off, I love this game. I just got it, but I’m having a blast already.

Not sure if it’s something common or if it’s because I have a newer phone (iPhone 13 pro) but whenever an ability or reactive card triggers, no animations or anything show. It’s almost like the game freezes and then after it resolves comes back. Took me a while to understand my spells were being countered, but only because of the graphical lag.

Any suggestions on if it’s something on my end?

20. Taznak

Taznak Active Member

Jan 14, 2021
    Male
    @zekethebeast:
    I play this on an iPhone 12 Pro. I do get choppy animations and graphical glitches sometimes, but it's typically as a result of me doing things like minimizing the app or switching to a different app, in the middle of an animation. So when I hit the end turn button, I make sure to wait until all animations resolve (my creatures attacking, then my opponent's turn playing out, then my next turn starts and I draw a card) before turning off my phone, or switching to a different app, or minimizing Lost Portal. I never have issues this way.

See if closing the app and doing this fixes your problem.