Universal Lost Portal CCG (By Michael Camilli)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Feb 18, 2016.

1. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle
    Awesome to hear. For me this is one game were grinding would work, because the game play is varied and fun.

2. LordFoul

LordFoul Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 15, 2009
    Software Developer
    New Jersey
    Testing the town portal functionality now, it is pretty handy. It will be in the first patch.

3. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle
    Another small thing on this game, you have great art and style which often gets lost with the background at times. It would make the ui and images for defeat and card art a bit cleaner if you either blurred or altered the background a bit more. My opinion that is.

Really love this game though. Hope it is successful!

4. mechanic

mechanic Member

Feb 20, 2016
    #84 mechanic, Feb 20, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2017

5. mechanic

mechanic Member

Feb 20, 2016
    #85 mechanic, Feb 20, 2016

6. LordFoul

Patreon Bronze

Jul 15, 2009
    Software Developer
    New Jersey
    Thanks for the positive feedback, glad you are enjoying it!
    Blurring the background shouldn't be too difficult, I will add it to the list to look into.

7. LordFoul

Patreon Bronze

Jul 15, 2009
    Software Developer
    New Jersey
    Actually, you do still lose gold on easy, but the enemies are weaker so they should be easier to defeat. I can think of a few ways I could make easy difficulty even easier if feedback indicates it is still not easy enough.

8. LordFoul

Patreon Bronze

Jul 15, 2009
    Software Developer
    New Jersey
    Thanks for that feedback, it is good to get more opinions before making any changes.

9. imdakine1

imdakine1 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    @LordFoul, congrats with the launch of your game! I am very new to these kind of games and am NOT a fan of F2P games so your game fits nicely into so something I may pick up in the future. I have been addicted to Crashlands and my first semi-deck building game Puzzle Strike. As I just picked up Puzzle Strike and beginning to fully understand the game and strategy I know I'd get confused with your game as I'm
    an old school gamer that only has about 20-30 mins of gaming per day based on life and family obligations.

First, thank you for being so active on this forum as it shows me that you care about the game and have taken constructive feedback on issues such as confusion and tutorials as many new gamers (to this genre) like myself might be lost, frustrated, and give up.

Second, http://www.lostportalccg.com/ is fantastic as it does provide much more detail to better understand the cards and game environment. It alone has gotten me more excited about the game

Third, I do suggest adding a tutorial and as much of the info on your site to the game itself as it likely will make the user experience easier and more seamless

Congrats again with what looks like a fun game! Thanks for also making it a premium game as I am getting so tired of the f2p model... Must be that I was used to buying games for consoles and didn't feel that I was only buying bits and pieces of games etc...

Continue to be active on this forum as TA gamers will help provide feedback and opportunities to move your game to likely will you want it etc...

Congrats and wishing you success with this game!

10. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Looking forward to new card expansions which I'll happily pay for!

11. CrayonWarrior

CrayonWarrior Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Mar 9, 2014
    Great southern land

this ^ And dungeons #

12. mechanic

mechanic Member

Feb 20, 2016
    #92 mechanic, Feb 21, 2016

13. LordFoul

Patreon Bronze

Jul 15, 2009
    Software Developer
    New Jersey
    Thanks for the comments, I appreciate it. I was happy to see Lost Portal show up in the Games->Card list on the App Store so it is getting some visibility, which is great. I've been working on a Game Manual that you can pull up right on the title screen, with a lot of the same information from the website plus more, which should help players learn the game mechanics. So that will definitely be going in soon along with any other help I can think to add.

14. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    I could be wrong, but I haven't observed otherwise; it appears this card on cast damages opposing lane creature only. The way it's worded now, if you haven't had experience with it, it could mean that you get to "target" any creature yourself.

Attached Files:

15. creedofhubris

creedofhubris Active Member

Aug 15, 2011
    Just finished on "Hard" with black. Some quick notes:

The opening was pretty brutal. I went about 30-30 in fights to start the game, and then something like 260-9 to finish once I had enough card choice to build a proper deck.

If you don't have money, the enemy always steals 2-3 cards if you lose, which is crippling! Once I realized that and always kept some money on hand I was better able to handle the defeats.

I never found multiple colors to be very useful, possibly because I never had a full complement of multi-lands. I never found the multi-lands for sale or in forges, only in battle. The only splash I made was 3x of the 1-cost blue draw-2 spell as soon as I could find them -- that is quite strong. Also never quite figured out why it's good to have a bigger deck. Smaller decks are stronger in every game I'm aware of because you get more consistency and your stronger cards are not diluted. Consider having the higher IQ let you have a smaller deck, not a bigger one!

I also had trouble at first determining where to target the spells. In particular some of the spells that remove cards target the cards, and some target the player icon. A couple of my losses came about when I accidentally targeted myself with some nasty spell. Also, some guidance that "when monster text says target creature, it means the creature in the same lane" would also be helpful.

In terms of power level, I was playing black, and the Furtive Spellcaster is bonkers. While playing black, if you get the Spellcaster in your initial draw you can always summon it on turn 1 and it gives you colossal card advantage. I would suggest removing its haste ability at the least. The rules on it also seem to be inconsistent -- it seems like when the enemy has it, it always discards one of your cards, but when you have it, it's 50/50 discarding an opponent card or drawing a card for you? Several of the games I lost were to Furtive Spellcaster -- I think some of the rats at the beginning have it? Psychotic Break has some of the same power issues.

The AI also can't handle the Werebeast very well -- it's constantly feeding it victims.

16. mechanic

mechanic Member

Feb 20, 2016
    #96 mechanic, Feb 21, 2016

17. LordFoul

Patreon Bronze

Jul 15, 2009
    Software Developer
    New Jersey
    Thanks for all of that feedback on the game, I appreciate it. You bring up a lot of great points that I will look at carefully. I particularly like your idea about Intellect controlling deck size minimum; I'm thinking it could expand both min & max so it wouldn't be too big a change. I'll have to think that through as it would impact starting deck sizes and potentially existing games in progress (unless I had it only take effect on new games). I will look at those cards you pointed out as well and the AI as too. Regarding multi-color aeons - they are sold in shops, but it is random so you may not see enough of the ones you might want. Like I said you gave me a lot to think about, thanks!

18. mechanic

mechanic Member

Feb 20, 2016
    #98 mechanic, Feb 21, 2016

19. LordFoul

Patreon Bronze

Jul 15, 2009
    Software Developer
    New Jersey
    Just to clarify, do you have aeons in the other colors that have been used? It won't add aeons to your pool, just refresh up to 2 that you do have that have been used that turn. Refresh is a general term I use for restoring the aeons that have been previously spent, normally at the start of your turn. There is also a dragon that refreshes your entire field at the end of your turn.

20. mechanic

mechanic Member

Feb 20, 2016
    #100 mechanic, Feb 21, 2016