Universal Lost Portal CCG (By Michael Camilli)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Feb 18, 2016.

1. sobriquet

sobriquet Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2015
    Is there a separate (outside of the game) list of instructions for the games? I started playing and as expected there are tons of text boxes to read and I'm not good at learning new game with complicated rules. I need something on hand for constant reference and annotations. Yours is the first CCG I've EVER tried and I was there when magic the gathering first appeared in the hobby shop I used to buy my RPG books from.

So far what I've played has me wanting more but I'm having trouble following the in game instructions.

Thanks for making games for us!

2. LordFoul

LordFoul Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 15, 2009
    Software Developer
    New Jersey
    You can find information at http://www.lostportalccg.com

There is a PDF of the game manual here:
    http://lostportalccg.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/LostPortalManual.pdf

3. sobriquet

sobriquet Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2015
  4. LordFoul

Patreon Bronze

Jul 15, 2009
    Software Developer
    New Jersey
    No problem!
    Come back here if you have any questions about the game - always happy to help / clarify.

5. Quilliams

Quilliams New Member

Sep 9, 2017
    #925 Quilliams, Sep 11, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
    A bit hasty in my previous impression of the game, but still...

So, I feel I was overreacting to the paradigm shift involving the foreign game mechanics. I've continued to play it and have finally adapted to the difference in creature interactions. It is a very fun game and I've since bought the expansion.

I do stand by part of what I initially posted however: there is currently no in-game or otherwise explanation of creature combat, other than some vague references to that being the primary way for you to deal damage, and something something something abilities. Taken in a vacuum, there was no way for me to learn how combat actually works, other than plowing right into the thick of it without a clue as to what I'm doing. If you read my initial impression of the game, you'd realize the biggest sticking point for me was how there is no risk or penalty for attacking, as defenders deal no damage to their attackers. I personally feel that this is a much bigger thing than whoever wrote the manual seems to believe, and I'm sure I'm not alone in my initial frustration at figuring out that one cannot simply play the game in a defensive manner and hope to be successful.

So... very cool and worthwhile game, but please flesh out the portion of the manual that deals with combat.

6. LordFoul

Patreon Bronze

Jul 15, 2009
    Software Developer
    New Jersey
    Thanks for sticking with the game and glad you are enjoying it now. I just read through that section of the manual and I agree with you that combat could be explained in a lot more detail. I will look to expand that section for the next update. Thanks for the feedback.

7. Xcxc

Xcxc Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2017
    sorry.. too lazy to back read but is this playable offline and is there a skirmish mode? (sort of a non-story random battle with AI)

8. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    This game is offline. No skirmish but end game you get repeatedly go to randomly generated dungeons.

========

@LordFoul Also I'm still really enjoying it. The only thing right now I really want is some way to reduce battery consumption. I actually had to cut down playing because it burns battery so fast. This game on my iPhone 7 drains battery as fast if not faster than my 3D games. It really bugs me since I'm sure it shouldn't be that way. I would play it way more if the battery usage was more efficient.

9. Xcxc

Xcxc Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Bought :D DL'ing now. Btw for the expansion is there an additional download?

10. LordFoul

Patreon Bronze

Jul 15, 2009
    Software Developer
    New Jersey
    No, there is not an additional download for the expansion.

11. Xcxc

Xcxc Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2017
    #931 Xcxc, Sep 19, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
    Man this game is hard to put down. Losing sleep because of this :( (kept saying to myself one more duel, until the next one).

BTW one question is the cards from the expansion available at the start or do I need to get to the new Area first? Already on my 3rd town.

W-L record currently stands at 110+ - 40+ :D
    using red with some destruction/alteration spells from blue/black

Also just a suggestion, would be nice if there's like a compendium of all the cards unlocked sorted by type,color etc.

12. LordFoul

Patreon Bronze

Jul 15, 2009
    Software Developer
    New Jersey
    I am glad to hear you are enjoying Lost Portal! I lost a lot of sleep creating it too!

There are uncommons, rares and ultra-rares that unlock when you purchase the expansion, and those become available to find immediately. Other new cards are Avatar cards, so you have to travel to the new area to find enemies that have those cards.

When you are in the Deck Editor, if you press on the "Library" label at the top it will toggle between showing you what you own and all cards in the game.

Enjoy!

13. Joe99

Joe99 Member

Jan 6, 2016
    Level Cap

What is the maximum level cap with the Aerahum expansion? The description states that the expansion raises the level cap by "2", but is this the same "2" increase that was implemented in the base game, raising the level cap to 32, or does the expansion raise the cap to 34?

BTW - I am really enjoying this game. Played through on green and now trying a blue deck. Well worth the price. Thank you for all your coding work and dedication to your fan base.

Suggestion - In a future update, would it be possible to add ability to switch aeon color in the middle of a game? I just switched from a green deck to a blue deck, and it would be great if I could get two blue aeons at the start of a battle, rather than the two green aeons I get.

14. Joe99

Joe99 Member

Jan 6, 2016
    Level Cap

Related to my previous post, would it be possible to raise the level cap beyond 32 or 34 in a future update? At a level of 40, a player would have enough upgrade points to acquire all 16 special abilities. Curious as to why there is a level cap at all. Is it a limitation in the game engine?

15. LordFoul

Patreon Bronze

Jul 15, 2009
    Software Developer
    New Jersey
    The level cap is raised from 32 to 34 with the Aerahym expansion. There are no plans to raise it further at this time. The limitation is strictly a design decision. All characters would eventually be the same without any limitations and all abilities maxed out.

The color affinity can be changed if you go back to the campaign menu and press the edit button and select that character. You can change the portrait, name, color affinity and difficulty level.

16. Joe99

Joe99 Member

Jan 6, 2016
    Thank You and One More Question

Thank you for the response. I understand your design decision regarding the level cap. I purchased the expansion and am enjoying the additional content. I guess I could have figured out the answer to my question regarding character color if I just played around with the menus some more.

I have an additional question regarding the card shops and forges. I know that each shop and forge contains a random selection of cards. Do the cards re-randomize each time you visit a card shop or forge, or does the selection of cards in each shop and forge stay fixed for each individual game? I could figure this out on my own by visiting and re-visiting several shops, but I figured I'd go directly to the designer.

17. LordFoul

Patreon Bronze

Jul 15, 2009
    Software Developer
    New Jersey
    The card shop and forge do not re-randomize when you revisit them. The positive side of that is if you need to save up before purchasing or forging a card, it will still be there when you return!

18. Grinner

Grinner Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2017
    Corrupt Thoughts issue

This is pretty minor, but when cards are able to play there is a white border around them. The Corrupt Thoughts card always has the border as long as you have the aeons to play it. This can be misleading as it's not possible to play if the opponent doesn't have any cars in its hand. Either this is a bug and it should be payable if only to just draw a card, or it shouldn't be outlined.

Again thanks for a game that's sucked up much of my life.

19. LordFoul

Patreon Bronze

Jul 15, 2009
    Software Developer
    New Jersey
    @Grinner
    Thanks for the comment. Corrupt Thoughts targets an enemy card in hand, so it should not be highlighted in green when the enemy has no cards in hand, since you can't play it. I've added code for that now, so it will be fixed in the next update.

Speaking of which, I am actually working on an update with a couple of helpful improvements:

Creature Icons - small version of creature cards now show icons when they have the following abilities: overwhelm, armored, any aeon ability and on-death ability.
    Player Abilities - when any player ability activates during a duel you now see the associated artwork flash on the player, and on any affected creature. This gives you some insight now as to why a creature that was just cast has venomous, rush, etc.

20. Bushido

Bushido New Member

Oct 23, 2017
    Only IOS game :-(

Hello,
    is there any chance to bring this fantastic game to Android?