Universal Lost Portal CCG (By Michael Camilli)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Tikanderoga

Tikanderoga Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2012
    IT Sys Admin
    Lismore
    Installed it.
    It seems the animations seems heaps slower than before.
    One turn now takes much longer to watch than before. Is that intentional?

2. LordFoul

LordFoul Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 15, 2009
    Software Developer
    New Jersey
    I am not noticing that on my devices. What iOS version and device are you using?

I did make a change in this area, as I was getting reports of some hangs in certain situations and it was tied to how the game waits for animations to complete.

3. Tikanderoga

Jul 17, 2012
    IT Sys Admin
    Lismore
    IPad Air 2 with the latest ios.

4. LordFoul

Patreon Bronze

Jul 15, 2009
    Software Developer
    New Jersey
    I just downloaded the game (1.1.5) onto an iPad Air 2, updated to the latest iOS (10.3.2) and I don't see any significant changes to the animations while playing a duel. I will keep investigating tonight, see if there is something in the code I'm missing.

5. raravan

raravan Well-Known Member

May 18, 2014
    thank you for your hard work, Mike. you are one of the best developers around. wish you luck with all of your products. no problems with the latest update for me (iP SE).

6. Tikanderoga

Jul 17, 2012
    IT Sys Admin
    Lismore
    Done the same thing and it seems to have fixed it. Speed is back to normal.

7. LordFoul

Patreon Bronze

Jul 15, 2009
    Software Developer
    New Jersey
    Okay, glad to hear it!

8. Peacedawg

Peacedawg New Member

Jun 3, 2017
    Fantastic Fun!

Really enjoying this game! Been playing this game exclusively since DL it and am having a blast! Thank you Dev for a wonderful game!

Started on normal mode. Chose blue affinity. Focused early on health & intellect then progressed into wisdom and last of all agility. Currently level 19 and am almost done with blasted castle quest.

Was a challenge progressing on normal mode early in the game. Actually, I hit a wall in Boradir, couldn't defeat avg level nme. Lost so many times I almost ditched the game. Because there are only a finite number of nme, the loss of gold is devastating early in the game. Even if I would win a duel, the gold gained was consistently 5-10. If I lost a duel, the AI took 25+ gold consistently and often bankrupted my character.

Recommendations:

* Balance gold loss & gain on normal mode. Too penal & slows early progression. In fact if you happen to score decent gold from a duel you better run to town & spend it cause you'll likely lose it the next duel. Therefore prohibitive to save gold to buy a higher tier card (not fun).

* Should be able to view the ability tree without having to visit the trainer. If possible, display all 4 ability trees in vertical columns on one screen. Wastes time having to switch skill pages and makes it hard to compare the 4 trees. Or at least put an ability tree list in the game manual.

* After a duel victory, it's hard to identify which cards were won. Suggest either placing a static list of the cards (and gold) won at the top of the victory screen or highlight any cards won in the players deck. The player can remove the highlight effect by clicking on the card in their deck. Especially difficult to see amount of gold & cards won on a phone since it only displays for a second & disappears.

* There should be a way to teleport between cities. Having to backtrack is tedious. Especially since players have to travel to different towns to use specific card shops to buy those gold cards they couldn't earlier afford.

Love this game and can't wait to make it to the end game content! Props to you Dev on a really fun game! :D

9. Tikanderoga

Jul 17, 2012
    IT Sys Admin
    Lismore
    I think Knockout is too low cost.
    +3 to life and attack and overwhelm and gain 2 life per creature.
    Natures grace costs the same but gives only +1 to attack and life
    Bist cost 4 Aeons

Knockout should cost heaps more. 6 the least.

10. LordFoul

Patreon Bronze

Jul 15, 2009
    Software Developer
    New Jersey
    I am glad you are enjoying Lost Portal! Gold losses can be tough and are based on the value of the cards you would have drawn next, so it is very random. On hard/extreme difficulty you can have those cards stolen out of your deck, which is far more brutal. If you find yourself enduring heavy losses, I'd recommend dropping down to easy or casual difficulty for a while, where the gold losses are less. Casual difficulty is more or less what you are asking for, where the enemies are the same as on Normal, but the gold losses are less.
    I've added your suggestions to the wish list - some good ideas there.

11. LordFoul

Patreon Bronze

Jul 15, 2009
    Software Developer
    New Jersey
    Thanks for the feedback - I'll take a look at it for the next update.

12. Tarquelne

Tarquelne Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2015
    I started getting into a Black game for the first time. I'm very happy that I became much more successful after I started making decks/playing quite differently from my favorite Blue, or even Red.

13. Peacedawg

Peacedawg New Member

Jun 3, 2017
    #893 Peacedawg, Jun 4, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
    Thank you for the fast reply! I like the game just as it is. Now that I'm at level 24 normal mode the gold won is significantly higher than gold lost. Very satisfying after slugging through the early levels of character building.

Also read your Pocket Tactics interview. Hoping you'll continue to offer continued new content for LP even though you're starting a new project. Also props on sticking with LP over 6 year process. The result is excellent! The game art is beautiful & sounds are fantastic; both make the experience more immersive.

Great game Mike!

Quick question, will there be a landscape mode for iPad in future update?

14. LordFoul

Patreon Bronze

Jul 15, 2009
    Software Developer
    New Jersey
    Thanks, and I do appreciate the comments! This was my first game, and the feedback has helped me to improve Lost Portal quite a bit from the initial release. Those lessons learned will hopefully carry over to the next game as well. I actually have started designing Star Portal, which will have even more RPG elements than Lost Portal did. I am hoping I can complete it much faster than the first game, since I've learned a lot and can reuse a decent amount of code.

I do understand your desire for landscape mode and I have spent some time working on it in the past, but I am not actively working on it now. It remains on the wish list, though. Unfortunately, it requires a non-trivial amount of coding and tweaks to some art resources.

15. Peacedawg

Peacedawg New Member

Jun 3, 2017
    All card view

Finished the main quest normal mode! Now hunting cards in the ancient portal.

Found some potential fixes for the card library (all card view). The following cards do not register as owned, i.e.they are faded out although I own the card. And the fade isn't because I have equipped the max number of that card type. I noticed that all of the cards listed below are equipped to my active card deck, however this happens to only some of my equipped cards, not all. Odd.

Balrocks Ring
    Frostbite
    Animated Armor
    Dragon Knight
    Air Sentinal
    Glacial Titan
    Flash Lightning
    Blade of Dreams
    Mercurial Dragon
    Reflecting Scepter
    Back From the Dead

Is it possible to fix the card library so that when you switch from owned card view to all card view, it holds your currently viewed page? When you switch views it resets to page 1.

16. LordFoul

Patreon Bronze

Jul 15, 2009
    Software Developer
    New Jersey
    The "all cards" view of your library shows all cards, but fades out any that you don't currently have in your library. That includes cards that are in your current deck, for which you don't have spares sitting in your library. They are faded to indicate you can't drag those cards from your library to your deck (since the current number in your library is 0).

Any time you toggle a filter or the "all cards" view, it resets to the first page. Holding the current page is generally not meaningful as you are displaying a (potentially vastly) different number of cards, so the current page could have a completely different set of cards shown. The current page may not even be a valid page anymore. Overall, I found the current behavior less confusing.

17. Tychaeus

Tychaeus Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2015
    #897 Tychaeus, Jun 9, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
    Man, I started out Blue and love it, and around lvl 12ish started mixing in black. I now DESTROY...i mean annihilate...with a split down the middle black/blue. Especially with Soul Hunter and Shadow Army...those two have to be my absolute favorite combo atm....bam...3-4 cards that gain life and attack every time ANY thing dies lol...they usually up to 11-12 hp/attk quick.
    Normal mode from the get go btw

18. Tychaeus

Sep 23, 2015
    #898 Tychaeus, Jun 9, 2017
    As someone who JUST got into this, like right before the update, I absolutely echo this ^
    Wonderful game done very well in the premium area. Love it almost as much as Pathfinder #
    You have my $ for any future products most assuredly .

19. Tychaeus

Sep 23, 2015
    #899 Tychaeus, Jun 9, 2017
    Omg...omg...star portal?? I LOVE you lol...so...kinda a sci fi LP with enhanced rpg elements? /drooool

20. Tikanderoga

Jul 17, 2012
    IT Sys Admin
    Lismore
    I got an interesting one:
    Psychotic break.
    I usually play this card as soon as I have 4 black aeons.
    But I usually also have 4 red aeons.
    The 4 red aeons never get converted into black, when playing this card, so the opponent only loses the minimum of two cards, instead of 3.
    But if have 5 black aeons, he correctly loses 3 cards, but no other aeons get converted.