Universal Lost Portal CCG (By Michael Camilli)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Feb 18, 2016.

1. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Sounds fine to me, I would hope all new exp beasties get added into the generative mix.

2. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    I'm really enjoying the new expansion and I've also started on a new color (green) which turns out to be very well suited to my playstyle. The new cards are also a lot of fun. I've only gotten a few but seeing some of the others used on me show some great effects. I think you should add a card that can move another card to anywhere you want on the field (instead of just a taunt), that way you can have a way to control enemies/your own cards when you're stuck with many 0 attack cards on the field.

And on another note, is there a way to reduce the battery consumption? I would assume this game doesn't use that much battery but it uses a lot. I've been noticing it lately. This game literally burns battery as fast as my full 3D games on my iPhone like Monster Hunter. Is there a way you can do some optimizing or something behind the scenes? I definitely think it shouldn't be consuming that much power.

3. Tikanderoga

Tikanderoga Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2012
    IT Sys Admin
    Lismore
    How about a static dungeon or add a new portal that has a static dungeon in it, like the one we already have.
    And that dungeon would have nothing but high level creatures with high HP. And they would t drop gold but rare cards, silver or gold (the rare and ultra rare)
    Entry to that area would require some high cards though, like 3 silver and 3 gold rarity cards but the rewards would be worth it. Nothing but 100HP+ bosses with an ultra boss of 500 HP at the very end.

Also: what's the drop rate on avatar cards like the spirit demon? I just can't get him to drop a 2nd or 3rd card. Having him spawn is already rare enough.
    That goes for most of the silver cost cards like the Taragul Spider.

4. Laenor

Laenor Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2013
    Paris, France
    Well went from a mono blue tempo/aggro deck to a green/black value/discard/poison deck.. and now that I am getting close to the end game, well, 4 color blue + silver + gold counter/draw is making my life a breeze :)

Still loads of fun .. and I've got about 12k gold to spend.. I need to grab the 4 aeon blue counterspell and my life will be complete.

Wish there was a way to have more that 7 cards in hands at times with that deck heh

5. LordFoul

LordFoul Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 15, 2009
    Software Developer
    New Jersey
    Glad you are enjoying the expansion. I'll take a look at the energy usage and see if there are any optimizations that can be made.

6. LordFoul

Patreon Bronze

Jul 15, 2009
    Software Developer
    New Jersey
    I'll add this idea to the wish list and give it some thought. I like the idea of an ultra hard dungeon like you describe.

You have an increased chance off getting an Avatar card off an enemy the more times you defeat it, until you get one. After that, your odds are the same as for other cards in its deck.

7. LordFoul

Patreon Bronze

Jul 15, 2009
    Software Developer
    New Jersey
    Yes, Confute is a great ultra-rare.

Blue is heavy on the card draw so that can be a problem, trying to empty your hand so you can reload it with more cards!

8. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Thanks a lot! This is definitely one of the best card games on all of the app store. So much content.

9. LordFoul

Patreon Bronze

Jul 15, 2009
    Software Developer
    New Jersey
    Thanks, I appreciate the positive feedback about Lost Portal.

Regarding energy usage - I use SpriteKit which is supposedly already optimized for energy usage, and what I see in xCode / Instruments is the energy usage is really low to zero when there aren't animations in progress (i.e., when you are just sitting there in the campaign screen, or when deciding what to do in a duel), but the energy usage does go up during attacks and when the enemy plays cards (i.e., any time there are sprite animations). I think that energy usage is unavoidable, but I will do some more research and see if any improvements can be made.

10. luckystrikeguy

luckystrikeguy Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2013
    I don't know but I have never had a problem with battery usage with this game ever. Weird.

11. Tikanderoga

Jul 17, 2012
    IT Sys Admin
    Lismore
    Yeah, it's also great at keeping your opponent's hand stuffed with cards. What's the point of playing cards that are most of the time fatigued, just to have them returned to your hand the next turn?
    At least that's my strategy.

Btw: counter spells, especially mind fog and confute:
    The counter spells are always drawn from the right first.
    So if you have a mind fog and a confute spell, with enough Mana to counter, the next card will be countered no matter what by the confute spell. BUT: say the opponent plays a skeleton, for 1 Aeon, if the confute spell is to the right of the mind fog, that card will be used instead of the MF.
    There is no check to see what could be countered with the lower Mind Fog first before using up the Confute spell.

Could you either add to the manual about counter spells or add a check?
    I mean I know it, but it might be useful for others to know too.

12. LordFoul

Patreon Bronze

Jul 15, 2009
    Software Developer
    New Jersey
    Correct, disruption spells activate from your hand from right to left, so you should put the one you want to activate first to the far right. I agree that sounds like something that should be mentioned in the manual. I'll look into it for the next update.

13. Laenor

Laenor Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2013
    Paris, France
    You can change the order of cards in your hand ?

14. LordFoul

Patreon Bronze

Jul 15, 2009
    Software Developer
    New Jersey
    Yes, just drag a card to a new position in your hand. If you drag a card on top of another card, they switch positions.

15. Laenor

Laenor Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2013
    Paris, France
    Omg .. soo many times i have lost a card to overdraw that i would have preferred to keep.

Thanks !

16. LordFoul

Patreon Bronze

Jul 15, 2009
    Software Developer
    New Jersey
    I have another update (1.1.5) in the works with the following:

- Aerahym expansion now includes:
    - 4 extra character slots available
    - All new enemies and bosses are added to the random dungeons found through the Ancient Portal

- Abilities can now be raised to 35 at the Ability Trainer
    - A few bug fixes
    - Updated help to explain how disruption spells are triggered right to left from your hand

17. TheSop

TheSop Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2016
    Does this game have cloud saving yet?

18. LordFoul

Patreon Bronze

Jul 15, 2009
    Software Developer
    New Jersey
    Sorry, it does not support iCloud saves.

19. Tikanderoga

Jul 17, 2012
    IT Sys Admin
    Lismore
    Love your work, mate.

20. LordFoul

Patreon Bronze

Jul 15, 2009
    Software Developer
    New Jersey