Universal Lost Portal CCG (By Michael Camilli)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Feb 18, 2016.

1. loox

loox Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2011
    #61 loox, Feb 18, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
    Is there any tutorial for this? I'm not new to ccg. But i don't see anything explained.

There are classes. Stats that I don't know what they do. Card text unexplained. And a choice of color affinity that makes no sense. And what dictates how much mana we have each turn?

Help!

2. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    @loox, just read back a few pages before this.

3. LordFoul

LordFoul Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 15, 2009
    Software Developer
    New Jersey
    I apologize for the lack of tutorial/explainations. I am working to rectify that, but in the meantime you can learn more about the cards and abilities, etc. on the website: http://www.lostportalccg.com. There is an FAQ that I am continuing to add to. Some details based on what you asked:

Abilities
    Your ability scores are Health, Agility, Wisdom and Intellect, and they impact game play in various ways. Visit the Ability Trainer in town to get details on each ability and see how your scores can impact game play and unlock additional abilities. For example, increased health gives you increased life to start each duel.

Leveling Up
    When your character levels up, you gain 2 additional ability points that you can spend (along with gold) at the Ability Trainer in town to raise those abilities. Look over your abilities carefully and figure out what sub-abilities you might want to unlock first.

Color Affinity
    Dictates your starting deck and the color of the cards that make it up. It also gives you one bonus aeon in that color at the start of each duel.

Card Text
    You can click on the ability text for creatures and get a pop up that explains what that ability does. On non-creature cards, they explain what the card does, but they also can use keywords like "Rush" without saying "Rush = creature can attack the turn it comes into play". I will work to get this info added to the game in the first update in some form.

4. LordFoul

Patreon Bronze

Jul 15, 2009
    Software Developer
    New Jersey
    Thanks for that positive feedback, I appreciate it!
    I will add path-finding to the list to investigate. My advice is get your Intellect to 20 and gain teleport!

5. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Is there any way to get back to town to say the trainer, without having to walk all the way back? I'm looking for a jump to option. Maybe jump back to town, then be able to jump back to last dungeon level as well?

6. LordFoul

Patreon Bronze

Jul 15, 2009
    Software Developer
    New Jersey
    Looking for a town portal, eh? I'll put it on the list and see what I can do.
    In the meantime, Teleport (unlocks at Intellect 20) makes it a lot easier to get around, including getting back to town.

7. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Yep thanks. But of course we'll leave you guys to be the final judge as maybe there's a game balance thing here to consider or something like that.
    All I know is, I'm down a few dungeons and would like to buy a card, and I'm not sure if it's by design or not that I have to turn around and click my way back up, and then down again.

Also, if you do implement that as a change, then I guess that means the perk at level 20 intellect might need a bit of a buff. As it stands now, that level 20 intellect perk seems like something more appropriate to have right away, otherwise there'll be lots of pointless back and forwards?

Note: again I haven't had enough time with this to be calling major changes but this is what I'm seeing at 1 or 2 hours in.

8. LordFoul

Patreon Bronze

Jul 15, 2009
    Software Developer
    New Jersey
    I don't think a town portal being available would cause any game-balance issues and would be very convenient, esp. when you level up. Intellect 20 also gives you an extra card to start each duel, so I think it is pretty good.
    I appreciate the comments!

9. luckystrikeguy

luckystrikeguy Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2013
    Im having a good time with this.

Some things I'd like to see aside the tutorial which is already mentioned.
    ( sorry def you're swamped already )

An indicator for turns.
    Pathfinding.
    Some kind of aoe effect don't care if it's the same one for every attack but something that would show something happened.

Also my last thing would be some kind of unlocking mechanism. It really really went a long way in dream quest to keep the game fresh. Like maybe a weapon for your hero to use or an ability like drawing a card or something. New avatars, cards etc.

Anyway def my favorite purchase of the week and I'll be playing it for a little while as it is.
    Thx dev

10. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle
    Loving this so far, would love to see random dungeons or a daily. So monsters aren't always finite. Actually love playing this so I would love some grindage. One question: when you beat the game can you start over with up the difficulty?

11. nkarafo

nkarafo Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2011
    I didn't know for the corners but I would suggest to have a bigger border to close the card because the upper right works well (x) but when you try to close from the bottom corners, some times it works, some other times it doesn't. You have to be precise. For example on the left bottom corner, you have to press it somewhere on the "Art by..". If you press it on the number above, it doesn't work. So, it's only a small area that works.

Thanks.

Good luck to your game!

12. LordFoul

Patreon Bronze

Jul 15, 2009
    Software Developer
    New Jersey
    Thanks for the feedback! I have increased the size of the invisible buttons on the corners, so it is a lot easier to close the card without being so precise. It will be in the next patch release.

13. nkarafo

nkarafo Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2011
    [​IMG]

14. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle
    So when you beat the game your character is done? Is there a new game + or anything of that nature?

15. Repulsa

Repulsa Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2015
    I think the beginning of the game should have an easier difficulty I can't beat my opponents and just keep losing gold so I am unable to buy better cards or raise skills. The enemies don't appear to regenerate, so I can't grind for gold/to level up.

16. LordFoul

Patreon Bronze

Jul 15, 2009
    Software Developer
    New Jersey
    At this point, the character is done once you get through the story. If the game does well enough, I plan on adding expansions that would add new towns/dungeons/enemies/cards. I've also thought about an endless mode as well, that is randomly generated. All still TBD.

17. LordFoul

Patreon Bronze

Jul 15, 2009
    Software Developer
    New Jersey
    "Welcome to Lost Portal, prepare to die." I will take a look at that! Can you give me some info on your character, abilities, color, difficulty level? I want to see if it is some particular combination or a general issue. Having a few really easy enemies to beat on to get going might be a good idea.

18. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle
    Well that would be my main gripe about the game. A ccg where you could technically not have access to all the cards due to rng, a fixed amount of fights, and your progress is done. Kind of seems rough to not have a new + game mode, if when you get a stellar deck, you can only use it so many times.

19. Repulsa

Repulsa Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2015
    Well my character is black and I have beat all the easy rats and still a ways from leveling up but like I said with no gold to buy new cards or skills I am in a bit of a slump. Various start up difficulties including a easy mode would be good.

20. LordFoul

Patreon Bronze

Jul 15, 2009
    Software Developer
    New Jersey
    Thanks for the comments, so glad you are enjoying it. I loved creating it too so I will keep trying to make it better. I think random dungeons are the way to go to allow you to keep playing after you complete the story. Replaying through the game at a harder difficulty wouldn't work the way it is designed and the number of cards in the game. I do think there is a lot of replay value starting over with a new starting color and/or difficulty, however.