Universal Lost Portal CCG (By Michael Camilli)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Feb 18, 2016.

1. LordFoul

LordFoul Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 15, 2009
    Software Developer
    New Jersey
    On creature cards you can press on an ability while looking at the full-sized card and a pop-up will open up explaining what it means.

The website also has some information about abilities (http://lostportalccg.com/ability-keywords). I will be looking to get more of that information into the game as well as soon as possible.

2. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    ^ It does too, thanks

3. Repulsa

Repulsa Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2015
    The aeon cards... I am black but do I need to buy red aeon cards to play red cards in my deck, green aeon cards to play green cards etc etc? That is a point that is a little confusing for me.

4. LordFoul

Patreon Bronze

Jul 15, 2009
    Software Developer
    New Jersey
    It is difficult to play two colors with basic aeon cards. There are uncommon dual-aeon cards that will help you play a multi-colored deck, but it isn't easy to get so many. For red-black, for instance, you'd want to find Dragon Heart cards. Another way to help with splashing other cards is to increase Wisdom. Once you get to 20 wisdom, you'll always start with at least 1 aeon of each color to start a duel, so you'll be free to splash in 1 casting cost cards.

5. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Curry: this game really needs a proper tutorial

Mutton: yup, it does not explain very much what the cards do and their special attributes like "rush"

Curry: I have no idea how to craft cards at all. Well I assume blue mana gets blue cards, MtG educated guess

Mutton: and so far I see no card cost more than 5 but some of the cards are really powerful for its cost like the Troll Personal Guard

Curry: quite enjoyable but I would like to see the dungeon and battle column have more distinct boundaries

6. LordFoul

Patreon Bronze

Jul 15, 2009
    Software Developer
    New Jersey
    Thanks for the feedback; I will definitely be looking to add more help/rules information/tutorial in near future.
    A couple of things:
    - When you look at a creature card, you can press on abilities like "rush" to get a pop up with more information about what that ability does.
    - Crafting cards is done at the Forge in any town. There is some help if you press the (i) button, but I will work to improve it. To forge a card, you drag the card you want to forge from the top of the screen into the middle of the forge. The card will then be surrounded by rarity symbols. Add cards of any color from your library of the proper rarity and you will create the card.
    - Card costs: there are indeed cards that cost 6 and 7. Most of those creatures make the Troll Bodyguard look wimpy in comparison.
    - If you'd like to see all of the cards available in the game, you can go into the deck editor and press the "Library" label and it toggles between showing all cards or just the cards you own. You can then use the filters to look at say all "ultra-rare red creatures".

7. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Bought the game. I likely won't be able to pick it up any time soon, but this looks right up my alley and wanted to show some support!

Looking forward to spending some time with it, though given the feedback on tutorials, I might actually wait before I start :)

Congrats on the launch!

8. Citronaut

Citronaut Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Curious about this too. Is the campaign strictly about incrementally upgrading cards to better versions? Or are the cards balanced in a way that most of them could be potentially viable in certain deck builds?

9. LordFoul

Patreon Bronze

Jul 15, 2009
    Software Developer
    New Jersey
    The rares and ultra-rares aren't just slightly better versions of existing cards, but totally different cards. They tend to be more powerful, but also in general cost more, so you have to balance your deck. So common and uncommon cards should remain viable, but you will swap some out to make room in your deck.

10. TDA

TDA Active Member

Feb 28, 2013
    Do dungeons repopulate? Are there a finite number of enemies?

11. Citronaut

Apr 12, 2014
    Awesome. I'm gonna hop in. I'm a sucker for games I can play one handed on my phone and for digital CCGs, so this seems like a perfect fit. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't one perfect deck you're trying to build towards on every run.

12. LordFoul

Patreon Bronze

Jul 15, 2009
    Software Developer
    New Jersey
    No, dungeons do not repopulate, so there are a finite number of enemies. Once you defeat the final boss the game is effectively over. Then you try it again on a harder level or with another starting color. If things go well, I have plans for expansions and perhaps an endless mode, but it will take some time to develop.

13. Isotope-X

Isotope-X Active Member

Jul 30, 2013
    OK, well, now you've convinced me. Definitely buying this.

14. LordFoul

Patreon Bronze

Jul 15, 2009
    Software Developer
    New Jersey
    That is correct - to activate an ability that says something like "blue aeon: X" you would drag an aeon card onto the creature. Strategy-wise, it gives you a reason to save those aeon cards in your hand for activating abilities later. Or do you activate an ability now and maybe can't cast a more expensive spell you draw later?

And thanks to LordGek for clarifying some of the gameplay elements. I am updating the website with more of this information as we speak and will roll it into the game as soon as I can.

15. LordFoul

Patreon Bronze

Jul 15, 2009
    Software Developer
    New Jersey
    Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it.

Regarding the card closing - you can actually touch any of the four corners of the card to close it. It is difficult to make it close on any touch, as creature cards have buttons on them for special abilities which could lead to accidental closings that would be equally, if not more frustrating. I'll definitely give this more thought as I don't want closing the cards to be frustrating.
    I will look at tweaking the player damage sound effects.
    As for casting from the zoomed card - that could work for cards that don't require a target.

16. LordFoul

Patreon Bronze

Jul 15, 2009
    Software Developer
    New Jersey
    The consequences for losing a battle vary depending on the difficulty level. On easy and normal, you can lose gold. For hard and extreme, you can lose gold and/or random cards from your deck. It is very painful to lose a rare or ultra-rare that you just forged, found or purchased.

17. Repulsa

Repulsa Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2015
    So pretty much if your character is black you want to buy black cards in the shop otherwise you need to buy other colored aeon cards in order to play any other colored cards.

18. LordFoul

Patreon Bronze

Jul 15, 2009
    Software Developer
    New Jersey
    Yes, that is true. You don't want to add other colored spells to your deck and have no way to generate aeon energy of that color. Dual-colored aeons are definitely the way to get multi-colored decks going. You can get through the game sticking with one color as well, although I like to get wisdom up and at least splash a few spells.

19. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    My iPad Pro will be anxiously awaiting.

20. Citronaut

Apr 12, 2014
    I'm really, really enjoying this. My only real wish, aside from more of everything (cards, enemies, dungeons, etc) is automatic path finding. Someone else mentioned it earlier in the thread - it would be super sweet if tapping on a destination grid moved your character there in the most efficient way possible, similar to Dream Quest.

Other than that, I'm super impressed and hope the game is a big enough success that you're able to continue adding to it. Great work on this one!