Universal Lost Frontier (By Mika Mobile)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Jun 2, 2016.

1. MikaMobile

MikaMobile Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    The bonuses remain active even if your legend isn't actually on the field.

2. MikaMobile

Feb 14, 2009
    Minor spoiler...

You can play as any legend in the story mode after completing it with one of the starting guys, so leveling a different character does not require grinding your face into the belt sander that is challenge mode. It's tuned around being max level or very close, as a post-story mode activity.

3. RinoaHeartily

RinoaHeartily Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2010
    This is no FF tactics this is much more lightweight and appeal to casual gamers

4. Tulki

Tulki Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2014
    Ahhh thanks! I kind of figured something like this would be the case. :p

5. Duivs

Duivs Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2013
    Guess what? Classified.
    Classified.
    Yes, Duivs, buy a Mika game right before exam week. Excellent decision.

6. smes3817

smes3817 Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Massachusetts, USA
    As I'm playing through, I just have a few things I need some clarity on. So each Legend has its own campaign to play through but the only differences between the campaigns is which unit can level up and get stronger, correct? And the leveling up only applies to that particular campaign. Am I right with this?

Do all stars have to be earned at the same time or can I go back and earn new stars without the others?

LOVING this so far!

7. imdakine1

imdakine1 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Headed out on another west coast to east coast flight Tomorrow and am excited to be able to use this as a perfect time killer. Now to decide if i should play it on the ipad or iPhone! Thanks Fir the quick update on fixing the save issue. It held me back from the initial purchase as it could be frustrating if we couldn't save.

8. Wemac

Wemac Well-Known Member

May 24, 2011
    Game Reviewer
    Great game, very polished and looks like it's optimized for my iPad Pro 12".

I'm stuck at chapter 9 as Wyatt though.
    Where you first see the steam tank and suppose to capture a steam workshop.
    There's absolutly no way for me to reach the workshop so that I can recruit more units because there's just soo many enemies in the way.
    Maybe I just suck at tactics but I've tried everything. Little help here or tips would be greatly appreciated so that I can get on with the game :D

Devs: an icon or somthing on units that has been enhanced with snake oil would be great so that you know both if enemies are using snake oil, and so that you dont use it twice at the same unit or whatever. Great game btw, thx!

9. Ghostdog1

Ghostdog1 Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2015
    I had a great time with this game. For me its a 4/5 stars. For hardcore strategy fans this would be a 5/5.

But i guess most players will give up around level 17 or even earlier. I played up to level 18 but later on the game gets just too hard. The maps have too many enemies and it takes over an hour to win a level. This takes away a lot of fun that is needed in a mobile game. Also playing a half hour and getting defeated again and again for several hours is just too much to take for me. I had high hopes for this game cause the first 10 Levels had a nice ballance. Like most devs who try out this genre Mika also totaly forgot the casual gamers who will need an easy option to keep having fun.

Another game i will never end.

10. JohnnyClash

JohnnyClash Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2016
    Excellent, Excellent point.. I have to wonder why they leave out (you and I) casual players with games like this. To date I own everything TBS related in the IOS store... FFT, Templar Battleforce, Warbits, all the Warhammer stuff, and the list just keeps going.. That is hundreds of dollars of games.. So far in life, I have completed exactly ZERO games from TBS genre..

I always just keep coming back for more punishment. I mainly love exploring the design choices, and I enjoy experiencing how the mechanics unfold, so its never a total letdown.. But damn, one of this days I'd like a TBS game to have an easy and maybe even super easy mode so I can see how the game actually fully unfolds..

Is this too much to ask? :D

(This was mainly written tongue in cheek, but definitely holds true to my play style.)

11. Solarclipse

Solarclipse Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Do the stars actually reward you in anyway, or is it simply for personal satisfaction?

12. InkyTheGhost

InkyTheGhost Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2012
    NYC
    Anyone know if there is an answer to this?

13. Solarclipse

Jul 30, 2012
    See post #101.

This is a cool feature, and good to know. If a level us tough, I can go to the other legends.

So after you beat the game you can play and level p the other legends that are unlocked—does that mean even more bonuses, or are they already maxed out? I find the prospect of getting OP for challenged fun.

14. knowmad

knowmad Active Member

Aug 26, 2015
    I find that each time I replay a level it gets easier, both because I know the layout better and because, even in failure, my legend keeps earning xp/levels and better bonuses. I'm only on level 14 so far though, so maybe it gets insane later on.

15. MikaMobile

Feb 14, 2009
    I think you may have misunderstood. In post #101 I was clarifying that if your legend dies in the middle of a mission, your perks for your other units don't get turned off. Merely playing as a legend enables their perks, but perks are only active for the one you're playing as right now.

16. MajesticLobster

MajesticLobster Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2015
    Hey, regarding the update....the alert icon does not go away after I update, and the update remains available no matter how many times I finish the process. Will not not show "open" after updating. Any solution coming? I've tried deleting and reinstalling, multiple updates, and throwing my iPad at the wall but nothing seems to solve it.

17. Solarclipse

Jul 30, 2012
    Yeah...I just figured that out after shelling out a few dollars unfortunately to level up some of the fellas I can't play yet for the Passives that wouldn't tweak the balance too much. Oh well, I'm happy to throw some more money your way.

18. JohnnyClash

JohnnyClash Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2016
    #118 JohnnyClash, Jun 4, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
    Chapter 6 -

First try : moved in too quick and of course got slaughtered..

Next 4 tries : stood back and watched the Werewolves and opposition battle it out, then tried to clean up the dirty work and still lost every time.

Next : Rage Deleted. (good thing for cloud save)

6th try : Thought I made a mistake early on in round 1 or 2 and their posse moved in on me. I almost hit surrender, but decided to stick with it. I ended up ambushing and killing their posse. Then I stood back and watched the fight unfold between wolves and opposition. Next, I came in mid way to do some fighting too..

Ended up 3 staring it that time.. It was a nice victory!

19. Ghostdog1

Ghostdog1 Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2015
    #119 Ghostdog1, Jun 4, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
    I kept playing till level 21. But getting overrun is all that happens in the later levels.
    At some point I rage closed the game with a four finger swipe and accidentily deleted my saves with this. (Never close this game with a four finger swipe!) Now my legend is back at level 1 and all i can say is: Investing so much time and never see the end is just frustrating. Having to restart a game from beginning that got rage quit means I will never touch this again. That's really a terrible experience in the end. And I don't care about other game modes when the normal one is not possible to do.
    For me the game has problems with level design and this makes the learning curve too steep.
    A game with a nice learning curve is FTL. I played through FTL so many times and unlocked all achievments and had the feeling to get better skills. In Lost Frontier In the later levels i never had the feeling of having better skills in this game - it felt more like being lucky. I dont want to compare this games. My point is about satisfaction a player needs.

20. Wemac

Wemac Well-Known Member

May 24, 2011
    Game Reviewer
    Anyone got a tip?