iPad Lost Cities - (by TheCodingMonkeys)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Aug 22, 2012.

1. runliketurtles

runliketurtles Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2012
    Demand? Wow:) Not being universal is a fair complaint, but demand? You're really intent on not wanting to like this game. The postives of Lost Cities still far outweigh the negatives. Do you work for goko? :)

I'm not sure how much I like this game as an asynchronous game. Turns are so quick I want to keep playing. :)

2. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    All that slick presentation and emojis but still no chat though =/

3. abstractgamefreak

abstractgamefreak Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2009
    Male
    Musician
    Germany
    Having played the app on my iPad 2 for about an hour really made me forget quickly that I was doing it in 2x. Your disappointment will vanish once you have it tried out yourself.

4. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    I've already bought the game and played it with friends as well and I'm enjoying it, not as much as some of the hype promised though. I don't see how a demand from a developer is such a big deal.

5. runliketurtles

runliketurtles Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2012
    Is that because of the game itself or the implementation?

I still think as an app this is very well done. Lost Cities itself, while I do enjoy the game it's not at the "OMG Yes!" level of other board games. I do think Coding Monkeys talents could be put to better use on a better game (like how Playdek was wasted on Food Fight:)

6. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    It's the game, the implementation is spot on. I wish TMC had gotten their hands on something like 7 Wonders or even Jaipur, which is slightly deeper but still very light.

7. Agas

Agas Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2011
    Well, for my taste, it's better to keep these emojis WITHOUT any chats. It's because I love to play with strangers and from my experience with Charadium and all that games with friends, there are always people who chat and greet in a very inappropriate manners. And that's how I like it too with Ascension and other board games - no chats.
    Still, if at any time TCM wants to make Lost Citiesg for the iPad, I wish that they make it universal and not separate versions (cause I still wait for Catan HD on 99c sale to buy Cities and Knights since I've already had Catan+Seafarers on iPhone... sigh).

8. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    #128 Bool Zero, Aug 23, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
    First off, none of the comments made were trolling. People use that term far to loosely without actually understanding the context. Perhaps consider dialing it back before being so unnecessarily insulting to people just because you don't care for their opinion.

Second, I too have the TouchArcade App on my iPad... But never use it as I await the universal update that they announced shortly after the app released. I visit here through Safari or Atomic Web on my iPad. Lets not assume that everyone who visits this site actually use the app either.

Third, no one is saying they are not good guys, or questioning their talent as developers. Most merely question the decision to not go universal. It is their business model in the end, so only they will know if they made the right decision financially. As a consumer I buy things that suit my wants and needs. I am not in the habit of frivolously spending my money to "support" a developer just because I liked them based on their previous products, while accepting their current with concessions. I stopped doing that nonsense in my twenties. Some people would rather base their purchasing decision on the product they desire and how the developer realizes it, not the product they will settle for. I am more than willing to give a IOS developer my money (with well over 2000 apps to prove that), but it is not unreasonable to also let the developer know what you want from their product.

I think you guys jumping at the defense need to understand that it is reasonable to tell the developers what you want from their product as a consumer. There is no insult or discord meant, rather a customer base telling the maker what they want from the product. That it is serviceable to some in 2X zoom is their respectful opinion and they are more than welcome to enjoy the game that way. For others like myself, we would prefer a game that utilizes our devices benefits properly, as while adequate for others it is very noticable for us, not just graphically, but with context to interface and layout. If that means I wait for the version I want or have to pass altogether, then so be it and no skin off my back. I love the game, but I am patient and won't explode or feel hurt if I am not playing it right away, especially if it means waiting to get the version I'd prefer. I already own the physical game, but having it on my iPad would be nice, but it won't kill me to not have it right now.

Besides, there is the problem of two version releases that can be an issue with apps. If I compromise and buy this now and they release another version, then do I double dip to get the version I wanted all along? Or do I wait it out or break and buy in the hopes it will go universal?

I don't own an iPhone, never have, yet I have owned 3 iPads (each version) and I have no plans to own an iPhone, so I personally avoid buying iPhone specific apps if I have to in favor of universal ones. There are very finite circumstances where I will break my personal disqualifiers for purchasing a game (Kairosoft games are probably the only games I have broken the rule for). There's too many good apps on IOS for me to personally compromise my preferences for one, regardless of how much I would like to buy it. I also don't think it is "trolling" to let the developer know what we want as a feature.

9. Bool Zero

Dec 14, 2010
    Ah! 7 Wonders! Now you are talking!

10. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    Well, it should be pretty easy to limit chatting to only friends and not randoms.

11. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    7 Wonders is already in development with another studio though, this is what BGG had to say about it last I saw:

12. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Did they say who is developing it? If not, no reason it couldn't be TCM. I'd be in favor of that. :)

13. Bool Zero

Dec 14, 2010
    Sweet! I did not know that! Thanks for the info! It's one of the games I have played several times but still do not own myself in my 'geek boardgame' collection! There are so many I wish they would make too... Still wish someone would make a Talisman or Runebound app!

14. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    I'm afraid you won't find it in the notification settings. Currently the game uses Game Center to handle all the online.

You'll have to turn off notifications for Game Center thereby muting all move, game invites, and friend requests for all games that use it. Otherwise it will continue to send push notifications to your device and all other iOS 5 devices connected to your account.

After two online games I returned to my iPad and it was flooded with over 40 notifications from Lost Cities :/

15. jones2929

jones2929 Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Lost Cities is the first Euro-game that I discovered. I am very glad that TheCodingMonkeys were given the opportunity to make the iPhone version. Most of the other Knizia games have issues that make them ultimately unplayable. This application is fantastic, and contains the best stat-tracking of any recent game. For $3.99, it's totally worth it.

16. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I'm disappointed to hear that they are using Game Center for the online play. They should have used the same approach they used with Carcassonne. :(

17. lookmanohands

lookmanohands Active Member

Jul 14, 2009
    I'm sure server costs aren't cheap, and so I'm ok with it using GC for a game like Lost Cities. Not ideal, but it works perfectly fine.

In general I stay away from Knizia games. Out of the 500+ games he's supposedly put out, I've liked 2. Well, 3 now with Lost Cities. (I'm talking the gameplay itself here. App-wise, I only got this because it's CodingMonkeys, but the gamble paid off.)

18. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I hear you, while I tend to like most of his stuff, there is a definite abstract mathematical theme throughout most of his titles.

19. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    As stated before, I'm disappointed about the lack of native iPad support. Having said that, if they announce (as they did with Carcassone) that they are in development of a universal version (as opposed to designing a separate app) I would pick it up.

20. Fimb

Fimb Well-Known Member

May 12, 2010
    Please. Point taken, but shouldn't we speak about the game itself?

Played a bit more last night and it's really good. The game, the presentation, everything. For me it's much more polished than Summoner Wars, for example (which is way too laggy and crashes a lot on my ipad). I know, completely different games...

Not sure if someone mentioned the music before, but it's fabulous as well. It has a nice Uncharted vibe to it (maybe it's just me). Well done, Coding Monkeys.