iPad Lost Cities - (by TheCodingMonkeys)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Aug 22, 2012.

1. mkaen

mkaen Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2011
    #81 mkaen, Aug 23, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
    delete

2. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    The rules say 8 INCLUDING coin cards. Is this not right?

3. soldat7

soldat7 Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2011
    #83 soldat7, Aug 23, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
    PlayDek has now surpassed them.

Well, that's a positive.

You're right. Delusional is a bit harsh, but I'd really like to know what their rationale was/is. They're acting too much like Days of Wonder for my tastes. I'm really shocked.

4. mkaen

mkaen Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2011
    #84 mkaen, Aug 23, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
    delete

5. sooz

sooz Well-Known Member

May 14, 2010
    Seattle, WA USA
    FWIW... I think the game looks pretty good at 2x on new iPad. I don't find the resolution distracting or detracting from a beautiful well executed game. Sure I would prefer a universal app but the game rocks and the visuals pass muster on the iPad. Glad I bought it.

6. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    #86 VeganTnT, Aug 23, 2012
    I'm really hating the fact that the game is using Game Center servers instead of using their own.

The current GC service is sub par. I'm being spammed on my iPad with GC game invites and move notifications for games I'm playing on my iPhone. I don't even have it installed on my iPad :/

This might fix itself on iOS 6 with push notification syncing but considering I'm in one room and my iPad is lighting up in the other room I can see it being a nuisance for households that have a communal device that will be linked to that same GC account.

EDIT: for the mention of playdek surpassing thecodingmonkeys, I completely agree. They work on more titles and more obscure ones yet still bring quality to them all. Thecodingmonkeys still haven't switched to a single load system for online MP. Ex: I play the vast majority of my board games on my iPad. When I launch Summoner Wars on my iPhone it shows me the last move played by my opponent. When I launch Carcassonne on my iPhone it shows me every single move played by myself and all my opponents since the last time I logged in. It's mind numbingly boring to watch 20+ moves being played before you can place a tile. It's like launching a ps3 game and having to sit through an update every single time you want to play

7. soldat7

soldat7 Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2011
    PlayDek is releasing high quality board/card games with a regular cadence, they have several key licenses coming soon (including Agricola), and their games are at feature parity with their previous apps and improvement is continuous from release to release. They're also quick to release updates and new content.

I don't see that with The Coding Monkeys. Again, Carc is The Gold Standard, and their Lost Cities release is completely nonsensical. I wonder if there was some weird contractural stuff behind the scenes...

8. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    Let's try to be cordial. There's a BIG difference between expressing disappointment/frustration and trolling. We have enough real trolling behavior around that we don't need to search for it when it's not there.

9. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    That is CORRECT! However the voiced tutorial does not explain that, you have to read the manual to get that clarification.

The voiced tutorial is like a friend trying to teach you to play the game. But instead of telling you the rules and showing you the mechanics, they decide to play a game against you and just teach you rules as they come up... By the end you understand the basics of how to play but not what you need to know how to win.

10. runliketurtles

runliketurtles Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2012
    I don't care about the tutorial (the game's fairly simple to learn), and it plays fine on an iPad. My biggest disappointment is the lack of local multiplayer.

Still, I don't know how anyone could call this a fail for Coding Monkeys. It's otherwise a polished app. A bit disappointing, yes, but do I need to remind people of Thunderstone and Dominion:)

11. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    First of all, I respect developers not making universal app, nonetheless those do receive a special place on my personal worship altar. I do not buy games to support developers, they need to bring good games to support themselves. I am known to buy games of different versions because I want to play it on iPad natively (say Apache Sim HD, which is very very good)

Also, I play exclusively on my iPad and carry around one in my sac. I usually play when I am commuting but I am also known to play (Ascension) when I am walking (except when crossing the car road is required)

I am a big fan of Renier Knizer's games so I almost buy all the titles available on the iOS, unfortunately many are either hit-or-miss.

TtR is a hugh letdown because the DoW puts two different feature sets on iPhone and iPad and make people pay for them. TtR is the last title I would buy from DoW, and I hate this developer gets more limelight in TA than other honest developers.

Now one question: since I don't have any RD device, is that game RD-ready? If so, it would look very good at 2x on the "new" iPad.

12. Agas

Agas Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2011
    Regardless of all the negative sentiments about it's being iPhone only, I think this is one of the best iPhone card game. Wonderful presentation, great tutorial where you can choose between audio or written explanation, excellent gameplay (I adore the board game), smart AI, and asynchronous game (though it has to be on GC). I just wish that it has wifi/bluetooth multiplayer for most of the times that I have no proper internet connection. Excellent game, definitely Game of The Week for me!

13. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    #93 Bool Zero, Aug 23, 2012
    I'd have to agree with them, and honestly, I don't think anyone is trolling when they say that. I am not taking anything away from the developers, and Carcassone and (to some degree) TTR are great adaptations of the games in digital form. But with well executed and much more complex games like Ghost Stories, Forbidden Isles, Yggdrasil, Neuroshima Hex, La Havre, Labrynth, Motherlode, Elder Signs: Omen, Tigris and Euphretes and so many others and their respective developers as well as all the good things Playdek has done with Food Fight, NightFall, Ascenscion and Summoner Wars, you'd have to have a very limited view or exposure to boardgame-to-app translations if you can say unquestioningly that Codingmonkey is the best! There are quite a few doing great app translations on these board and card games we love in fact, so perhaps check out more board game apps before claiming anyone is a troll. No offense...

14. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    It's late so I may not be reading it right but if you're asking about the game in 2x on a retina iPad then the answer is that it looks good.

It's a bit blurry but no more than a non retina iPad app.

Carcassonne looked good in 2x on a 1st gen ipad before it went universal and it looked good on a retina iPad before it got ythe retina update. They use high res assets so they don't suffer from things like that.

15. polycontrale

polycontrale Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    #95 polycontrale, Aug 23, 2012
    It's not quite on the level of greatness that Carc is, but even with the few issues it has, it's still a great app. As good as Carc? No. Still better than most? Yes.

I have no regrets on buying this one. I do 90% of my iOS gaming on my iPad (I generally only play iPhone-only games on the phone), but I'm just going to hope that my money and support goes toward a universal update.

16. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    Run my first game against the non-verbal tutorial (work too much with Unix these days). It is a quick, easy to learn and fun game. Will definitely recommend this to Wifey. (some will complain it to be too random! :p)

Also, it looks pretty slick on my iPad1.

17. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    Thanks!

18. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Add me to the list of people holding off due to non-iPad-ness. I've had various iterations of the iPod Touch for years, so when I bought my shiny new iPad I was looking forward to playing games designed for the screen. It's not that I won't buy non-retina or iPhone-only games, it's just that... I'm actually not super excited about this game anyway, but if it had been packaged with beautiful and detailed retina graphics for iPad I probably would have caved and given it a chance.

19. Jonny Pez

Jonny Pez New Member

Dec 12, 2009
    No iPad?

I agree with most people here. My iPad has become my sole gaming device and it is disappointing that this is not a universal release.

But, I have such high respect for the game developers that I may just try it anyhow.

20. imosmo

imosmo Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2011
    lost their mind to do so. i am willing to pay for 9.99 to buy universal carcassonne not two same game for two devices. :mad: