iPad Lost Cities - (by TheCodingMonkeys)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    On the whole, there are more iPhone or iPhone/iPad gamers than gamers who solely use an iPad, so if CM have determined that it is more cost-effective to aim the game in one particular direction, then it is in their best interest to point it that way. There's no point getting all foot-stompy and hinting that the handful of people here saying that they only play games on their iPad are in any way a significant majority or will have a significant impact on the bottom line, because they're not, and they won't.

On top of that, I don't know of many who use an iPad as an "on-the-go" gaming device, as it really is too large and unwieldy for that; I certainly know people who use it when they're sitting down or otherwise stationary somewhere, but very few who use one for gaming while walking or the like, unlike the iPhone/iPod. September 12 could be interesting in that regard, though.

As for the game itself, it's a basic quick-playing card game with minimal information (hardly Nightfall or Le Havre), doesn't require the screen real-estate of an iPad, and plays very well on an iPhone. If you prefer to play games on a different device, that's fine, but it doesn't at all mean that the developers have done something "wrong" by choosing not to develop for that device specifically; CM have also specifically stated that they're not going to be developing for Android or other mobile platforms either.

By the developers' own admission, there are no currently no plans to make an iPad version; any such app (universal or iPad-specific) would be unlikely to arrive before next year in any case. At this point you can either pay $3 and enjoy the game for the next few months (or longer), or you can wait for an announcement of another version that the developers have already indicated won't be coming in the foreseeable future.

Personally, I'm okay with supporting a known top-shelf developer who isn't releasing yet another match-3/tower defense/endless runner. :p

2. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    #62 Bool Zero, Aug 23, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
    Point taken, but as a 37 year old adult I don't personally play a game while walking any where! It baffles me that people even do this! I've saved my son more times than I can remember because he nearly walks into stuff while on his iTouch! But I think you misunderstand that us iPad owners are somehow delusional and don't understand the vast iPhone and iTouch user base as the majority. It still doesn't make sense that it wasn't at least universal was my point. When I say on the go (and I am not sure I did previously) I mean out and about. My iPad is always with me every where I go. In fact it is part of my wallet; fold out, leather, mursely I will admit, but it is with me everywhere where as I never use my phone for gaming as battery is too important to me to waste on gaming when out and about with time to spare!

We are simply stating that while a smaller demographic than the phone and touch demographic we still have a considerable install base (enough so that games are made specifically with iPad in mind first for some games of recent), so to disregard that demographic that wants the game is something we feel as a missed opportunity. Playdeck understands this. So does Wizards of the Coast and over four or more dozen other board and card games I own off the top of my head that have been translated for IOS. I don't think anything unreasonable is being asked...

And lastly, to say that the game doesn't require a lot of screen real estate is like saying that listening to an 128kbs MP3 is just as good as listening to a CD. While workable and functional, it still does not change the fact that a larger screen would be useful. I can imagine how cramped it will get with five rows of cards descending on the screen if the iPhone, trying to see the numbers (though the math done for you I am sure) and missing out on the beautiful art of the cards.

I respect your opinion, but can't say I totally agree with it... I will support a developer that makes a game I want to play, in the format I'd prefer to play it. I am not in the habit of spending my money on buying an app from a developer just because I like them. I support a developer with my purchase when they support me, the consumer of a particular demographic, with a game that is made for my device.

I am not in anyway knocking the developers in anyway here mind you, I just am surprised that with all the other card games that are universal that this one didn't need to be...

3. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    Out now, it's over 45mb so it's taking forever to download.

Impressions in a few minutes.

4. soldat7

soldat7 Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2011
    What a letdown, Coding Monkeys. You'll see no support from me. What a strange situation.

Is PlayDek the last great board/card game developer? I guess Codito is improving with each release...

5. amn624

amn624 Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2008
    publisher
    Nassau County, NY
    Condescending, no. Rude, no. Brattish (whatever that is), no. Thanks for misunderstanding everything I've been trying to get across.

I do *not* want to play games on my iPhone. I want to play games on my iPad. The developers should be aware of that and given a universal app would have had a much wider audience, it was clearly reasonable to expect same and to be disappointed that it was not forthcoming.

If you want to poll the thread to see how many expected universal to not universal, I thnk you'll find the vote likely to be 4:1 or better in favor of universal.

There were no caustic remarks, no vitriol, and only a straight matter-of-fact response. If you don't see it that way, ask the developers if they were offended.

6. runliketurtles

runliketurtles Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2012
    Sweet! I see it available now... downloading. Now to try this out. On my iPad.

7. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    It's blurry, but perfectly playable at 2X on my iPad 2. It's a nice translation of the game. This is a very simple, but fun, quick hit game. Each game lasts a few minutes, just like the physical version which I own. I will hope for a universal update, but if it never comes, I still won't regret the purchase.

8. tecwrtr

tecwrtr Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2010
    Senior Technical Writer
    Richmond, VA
    It is amazingly clear in 2x on an iPad 3. I'm happily surprised, but still looking forward to a Universal or iPad version.

9. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    Finished the tutorial...

When you start you get to choose the spoken tutorial, written tutorial, the manual, or nothing at all.

I chose the verbal and was pretty disappointed. While the dialog is very fluid it's less of a tutorial and more of a ditzy friend trying to teach you how to play.

Case in point, I was admonished twice with her telling me that I don't need to start a trek on every lane... Even though I knew I had the points to make it positive in my hand.

In the middle of the tutorial she causally mentions "oh I forgot to tell you that if you get 8 cards in a lane you get an extra 20 points". She never mentions that the investment cards don't work on that extra 20 either.

I was also admonished for discarding an 8 but I couldn't play it and neither could she, yet she picked it up on the next turn anyways :/

The board layout also bugs me a bit, why is the discard pile in front of the play area? In every version I've ever playing it's in the middle of the board so it's accessible to both players. It seems more error prone in this position, though you have to manually draw a card so you can take you card back easily.

Investment cards are now called coins and light up one of the three coin icons next to the lane counter... But the tutorial states I need 8 cards in the lane, which will lead to user confusion since the investment cards are added to the lane in the actual card game and freely available online versions.

Final issue: When starting a new game you get a list of all the computer opponents, under that is your GC name and a list of ALL YOUR FRIENDS! How the hell is that useful!? I have you manually scroll through the list to see if anyone is ranked to know if they even own the game.

I'll give the game 4/5 because it's well made, has online play, and has great stats. That being said... I expected more from thecodingmonkeys, I personally don't think this is worth 4 dollars.

10. wok

wok Member

Jul 27, 2008
    Absolutely fantastic interface design, and a great tutorial. I just spent 30 min playing lost cities for the first time (and losing to the AI :) ) and it wasn't the least bit frustrating. Very quick game once you pick it up with a hint of much deeper strategy to learn.

Game feels at home on the iPhone, though I'm sure these devs would make a killer iPad version if they get a chance. Thus I hope they sell a gazillion iPhone copies :).

11. soldat7

Jul 12, 2011
    It won't sell well.

These guys don't have a clue. Their sentiment is similar to the Ticket to Ride folks: out of touch.

12. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    Right, because Carcassone and Ticket to Ride have been such massive failures.

13. soldat7

Jul 12, 2011
    Not the same game. Lost Cities is not even as close to as popular as either of those, and both Carcassonne and Ticket to Ride feature iPad support. iPhone only with the negative fan backlash will bury this one deep.

They'll probably be profitable though, which is what counts for them. This game couldn't have been that pricey to make, given the feature set.

Quite the fall for The Coding Monkeys. A pity.

14. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    #74 sizzlakalonji, Aug 23, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
    I'm sorry, but the facts don't quite back you up. First, Carcassone didn't launch as a universal app, while TtR started as iPad only, but much later added the iPhone version. Second, Lost Cities is very popular and very similarly rated to those other games on Board Game Geek. Compare the ratings and awards won, and you won't see much of a discrepancy.

Lost Cities : http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/50/lost-cities
    Carcassone : http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/822/carcassonne
    Ticket to Ride : http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/9209/ticket-to-ride

15. soldat7

Jul 12, 2011
    The iPad was barely out when Carc was released. By necessity, it went Universal at a later date. Ticket to Ride received an iPhone version not too long after the iPad version, and I doubt it's been a wild success (according to iOS standards) given DoW's continual tinkering with the business model (multiple iPhone releases? Give me a break.)

Amongst the hardcore, sure, Lost Cities is well-regarded. But if you spend any time over at BGG, you'll know firsthand that they expect asynchronous play, Universal, offline play, etc...basically the "Carcassonne feature set." This will draw their ire in the coming days, just wait.

I'm stunned that The Coding Monkeys didn't even match the gold standard they themselves created. Either they're delusional (likely) or they realized that the added development effort required to achieve feature parity with Carc was a losing proposition financially (also likely given the 'monetization' culture that is growing like kudzu on the iOS platform.)

16. xiel

xiel Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2012
    To those who bought it... Does the game have asynch ?

17. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Game Impressions

While disappointed it wasn't universal, damn is it a slick presentation of the game with incredibly detailed stats (especially cool is your detailed stats vs. every individual opponent!).

18. soldat7

Jul 12, 2011
    I'm wondering this as well

19. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    We can quibble over details...it was quite a while after the original TtR was released before the iPhone version came out (over a year I believe), etc. but it looks like we'll just have to agree to disagree on this. Although I disagree with your general sentiment that Coding Monkeys are suddenly delusional, I do think many of your points are valid regarding the feature set. I also think that they were smart pricing this less than Carcassone, because at its core, it's a much simpler game.

20. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    Yes, through GC.