iPad Lost Cities - (by TheCodingMonkeys)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Aug 22, 2012.

1. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    You can try it on yourturnmyturn website. I tried it against the AI and its pretty fun. Go to the "practice" link to try against the AI.

2. Fimb

Fimb Well-Known Member

May 12, 2010
    Thanks tops2, gonna go there.
    Actually, I'm more interested in the interface and the game's "snappiness." How does it feel on the iphone?

3. abstractgamefreak

abstractgamefreak Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2009
    Male
    Musician
    Germany
    I'm also not so keen to play in 2x mode. Lost Cities is iOS 5.1+, so I cannot even play it on my old Touch 2G like Le Havre or ...Carcassonne ;)

So here's another highly anticipated board game app this month going straight to the watchlist ;) At least Codito and Playdek are still reliable regarding multi-device support.

4. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Or you can play a solo mode of the game on Facebook, done by a different developer (Zabu of Thunderstone infamy at this point) but a clear indication of the game play:

https://apps.facebook.com/lost-cities-solo/

5. Fimb

Fimb Well-Known Member

May 12, 2010
    Thanks LordGek! It works, but OMG that fb app is fugly.

6. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Also worth mentioning the two games, Keltis and Keltis Oracle are board games based on this same play mechanic but with a few extra twists (both are based on the physical board games of the same names by Reiner Knizia but are from different developers).

7. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Thanks! I'll give it a go during lunch break. ;)

8. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    I wondered why the graphics seemed so spare (especially the solid colored cards in your hand). Now I know why. What a shame.

9. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    My main question: does it have a quick play mode for live games, like in Carcassonne? That's what I want and I hope it's there, not just async.

10. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    I've been playing for months on Happymeeple. I too am disappointed for the iPhone only release as I was hoping for an iPad version similar to the layout in the Happymeeple version.

I'm still going to purchase it as I want to make sure such great work by the devs is rewarded. Plus I seem to recall Carcassonne being iPhone only for a quite a while before going universal... Hopefully it will sell well enough to justify/fund the extra work needed for an update like that.

11. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I also have to wonder, while clearly you have to start somewhere, how well did sales go for Carcassonne once it was universal? I would think IF there was a huge upswing they would be more interested in getting an iPad version out as soon as possible but if negligible, it might explain why the best they can give us a polite, "We'll get back to you on that..."

12. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    I don't think it's a lack of interest on the part of the devs or a lack of demand from us, I think it's more about being a fiscally responsible developer. Universal apps still need separate UIs for iPhones and iPads so it makes sense to focus in one at a time. iPhone's have the greater install base so you start there, then move to the iPad version... But wait, why have a fully working iPhone game sitting on the shelf while you spend more money working on the iPad version? They're getting the iPhone version out to make some money, if the revenue justifies the iPad version (and hopefully it does) they will work on it. If it doesn't they can cut their losses and move to a new project.

As a lover of boardgames and an iPad owner I'm saddened cause I really do feel like the vast majority of board game players on iOS are using iPads, but I definitely understand their choice... Sorta :rolleyes:

13. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    If I recall correctly, they raised the price of Carcassonne once it went universal. I wonder if their sales dropped off? If they make an up-priced separate iPad version I'll be OK with that as long as we can play games between versions (and that the combined price isn't outrageous).

14. amn624

amn624 Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2008
    publisher
    Nassau County, NY
    Martin, FYI, I do not play games on my phone. I play games on my iPad. Thanks for understanding this silly little detail that prevents me from being another satisfied user of Lost Cities.

15. runliketurtles

runliketurtles Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2012
    Wow. Could you be any more condescending? Please save your hate for a game and developer that deserves it.

16. turakm

turakm Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2009
    #56 turakm, Aug 22, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2012
    never mind. good luck developers.

17. amn624

amn624 Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2008
    publisher
    Nassau County, NY
    No hate involved. Just reality. I do *not* play games on my iPhone. I *do* play games on my iPad.

I have 2-2x games on my iPad. 1) Orions2 - I was a lead beta tester and have kept it for sentimental reasons but do not play it. 2) Ticket To Ride Pocket - I have friends that play it.

I vastly prefer games that have better resolution on iPad. TTRp has excellent resolution on iPad 3 but I own iPad 2 and it's seriously *fuzzy*.

I hope you better understand my stance now. There are hundreds of thousands like me who prefer a better gaming experience than the smallish area of the iPhone screen can provide (hmmm, but then, Coding Monkeys should know that as well).

Thanks for the opportunity to clarify.

- Zebra, not condescending, just a bearer of elementary truths.

18. Fractalrock

Fractalrock Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2010
    No, condescending summed it up. I would have added rude and brattish into the mix as well. So much for reading the forums on this one.

19. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    #59 Bool Zero, Aug 23, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
    I have to agree, both as an iPad owner (every version) but as a board game lover as well! My iPad is my gaming device when not using it for business! Here's hoping they make a universal update or something... Will have to pass until then as I too refuse to play games in 2X Zoom (seriously, 2X looks horrible in most cases no matter how passable one can makes excuses for it)!

20. wilef

wilef Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2009
    map,

I appreciate your candor, there's just a lot of players who are put in a tough spot because they want to buy this game to play it solely on their iPad, but if they buy it now and a separate iPad version is released later, they need to rebuy. So if we sit out and wait, we aren't supporting you guys (or enjoying the game), but if we buy without knowing a Universal version is coming, we risk having to rebuy a game for the only platform we ever played the game on!

As much as I want to play the game right away, I'm holding out till there's more info. Hope iPhone users support and enjoy the game enough to get an iPad version off the ground!