Universal Lords of Waterdeep - (by Playdek, Inc.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Nov 20, 2013.

1. Skinypupy

Skinypupy Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2010
    Thanks. It doesn't show up in the "Purchased" section on my phone, even though I have it installed on my iPad. I can find it in the store, but it just shows the price tag.

Color me confused... :confused:

2. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    App Store might be having issues. See my post...

3. biokid

biokid Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Wop Wops
    Sorry I can't help here, but the best option you have now, is to contact Apple support and see what is going on. Don't forget to attach your Itunes receipt to show that you have purchased the game.

4. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Do you have multiple iTunes accounts for different regions like I do? Maybe your iPad is logged into another account?

I know that is probably not the problem, but you never know...

5. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    #145 Ayjona, Nov 26, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
    Your post is devoid of some of the complaints which are brought up repeatedly in the TA forums, and which are hard to dispute the perceived legitimacy of (real legitimacy of criticism can only be established or disputed in the case of factual error or universal refutation/agreement). (For the sake of keeping this thread cordial and general online pleasantness, I should state outright that I'm not implying any strawmanning on your part :) But I was surprised to see some of the most commonly mentioned issues left out. Just goes to show just how hard it is to establish a common consensus from a torrent of forum posts :) )

When I mention criticism, I'm referring to issues probably quite a bit more tangible.

The most notable would be the lack of a chat system (something Playdek has finally seen the importance of, I've been told). For games with async multiplayer and the potential for active, competitive communities, the possibility to communicate with other players can be anything from a pleasant luxury to paramount. The feature is prevent in a good number of multiplayer async titles with a competitive aspect, from Carcassonne, Ravenmark: Mercenaries and Starbase Orion all the way back to UniWar. Regardless, the absence of the feature quickly became an issue for some.

That push notifications for a long, long time did not open up the relevant match (instead bringing the player to the lobby) was mentioned over and over again (often by me), and is a rather annoying shortcoming for someone who plays plenty of async multiplayer. This feature is also a standard for asynchronous games for iOS, which also contributes to perceived legitimacy. I'm told this has finally been added, but does not seem to work for me in older Playdek titles.

The lack of persistent stats, ratings and rankings, leaderboards, integrated communal, e-sportlike and other competitive features has probably been brought up more rarely (and was partially alleviated a while back, but never fully to my mind), but I've been in discussion with Playdek on the topics on two occassions in the TA forums. Still an issue for me and quite a few others that I play with, but one that is probably subject to subjective assessment to a greater extent than the others.

Together with all the complaints you and sapphire list, I'm afraid we eventually arrive at a list of issues which can definitively be considered "plentiful". (I specifically stated "criticisms levelled at Playdek", not issues which are possible to prove empirically, for that very reason :) )

Luckily, the games are excellent regardless.

6. MrMojoRisin

Jul 27, 2012
    A fact that many seem to forget when levelling their criticism, or at least conveniently fail to mention.

I'm extra grateful to them for introducing me to games like this one and Ascension, and giving me ways to play them, as well as Fluxx, when there isn't anyone to play them with physically.

I really hope that the Wizards license will lead to iOS implementations of the Wrath of Ashardalon, Castle Ravenloft, and Legend of Drizzt board games. If they are to make these, I know they will give Warhammer Quest a serious run for its money.

7. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Stockholm, Sweden
    This might be one of the most revolutionary aspects of async gaming and iOS board game ports. Hopefully, it will lead (or has lead) to a small board gaming rennaisance.

Here's to that. For all the limitations of their pen-n-paper products, Wizard/TSR-branded board games seem to be very well designed.

For the sake of my childhood fascination with Drizzt and his adventures I must ask... Legend of Drizzt any good?

8. iPadisGreat

Dec 10, 2012
    No, I do not have iTunes axcounts in multiple regions. I had suffered that kind of account juggling on my XBox 360...

9. MrMojoRisin

Jul 27, 2012
    I only own and have played the Ravenloft board game, which is quite good. And Drizzt came out after that one, so it is probably even better.

The only issues I have with the physical version of Ravenloft are the setup time, and the fact that you pretty much have to buy a storage bin for all the pieces that come in the game to keep them organized. Both of those will not be issues with the iOS versions of the game, obviously.

But the mechanics do a great job of distilling the PnP RPG experience down into a faster playing and more immediately gratifying format.

10. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Sounds like the kind of co-op async game I've been looking for (read a couple of reviews as well). So, yeah... here's to hope ;) And yeah, the lack of space requirements, the drastically reduced price, and the constant online availability of iOS board games is threatening to have me (who was never a dedicated physical board game fan) abandon the idea of physical products in this category all together.

(Also, the full Arkham Horror experience for iOS, with async and all... that's a pipe dream of mine.)

11. iPadisGreat

Dec 10, 2012
    #151 iPadisGreat, Nov 26, 2013
    Closest game of Lords of Waterdeep yet. 12 point loss. Using intrigue cards has really jacked up my score. I am still finding it hard to gather enough meeples. How do you guys do it?

Also, a bit puzzled about buying buildings. It seems to be related to the number under my meeples, but how do I increase that number?

12. Snotty128

Snotty128 Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2013
    Buildings have a gold cost in the top left corner of the card. By the number under your meeple, do you mean the 0/9 at the builders hall? I assume it's individual and that's the max number if buildings each player can have, but I've never reached it

13. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Hey Guys,

I was just talking with one of the LoW developers who has confirmed that while the Hard and Easy AI weren't swapped, there is a bit of a glitch with the AI that will be corrected in the next patch (not the one that just dropped today).

For those curious about the nature of this glitch, I'll add it as a spoiler as it might be a little exploitable:

At the moment the AI HATES whomever is in slot 0, the starting player and will throw every nasty thing they can at that player, human or AI. If you're in slot 0 then all of the AI will work to destroy you at all cost, but you're just as likely to have that spot taken by another AI which would then leave you in the clear. So even with Easy AI opponents, having all the AI players target you can make things a lot tougher.

14. MrMojoRisin

Jul 27, 2012
    They should keep that in as an optional "feature" when they patch it. :p

15. ednan

ednan Well-Known Member

That explains many wins and losses against the AI that I had

16. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Realize though, even now, the starting player is randomized, so it isn't that depedable.

17. Snotty128

Snotty128 Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2013
    Phew! I thought I had gamed the system by choosing green. It's good to know my wins are legit.

I wonder if this why everyone loses the tutorial

18. ednan

ednan Well-Known Member

I won fairly easy on the tutorial...

19. MrMojoRisin

Jul 27, 2012
    #159 MrMojoRisin, Nov 26, 2013
    Unless
    you were the first player in every game
    , then your games are at least a bit tainted by the glitch.

Oh, and most people that play the tutorial probably lose it because it is their first time playing the game. :)

20. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I don't think so if only against 1 opponent. This glitch really would only factor in with the 3-5 player games. When only facing 1 opponent it's pretty safe to assume he'll be targeting all attacks on you.