Universal Lords of Waterdeep - (by Playdek, Inc.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Nov 20, 2013.

1. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I tried the hard AI subsequently as I had read elsewhere that Playdeck mislabelled easy and hard. Lost by about 60 points that time, compared to about 30 points on easy...

iPadisNoPoliticalMaven...

2. ednan

ednan Well-Known Member

#102 ednan, Nov 24, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
    The mechanics are much more simpler than Agricola, Le Havre, etc.
    If you are not getting what the AI is doing, simply tap on it's name on the top of screen and read its cards. Read yours too, that helps.

That said, add me on playdek: ednan (I'm still learning too)

3. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Run the tutorial once, try against easiest AI but lost twice to it... I need either to run the tutorial again and/or figure out how to win this one. So to those who are playing online against me, please note that you are getting a free ride, for now.

4. ednan

ednan Well-Known Member

Whats your name there? Let's play and learn better =D

The only thing that I miss is a chat room, that would make their games much better...

5. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    #105 LordGek, Nov 24, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
    What OnlyPhoenix and I have done with previous Playdek games, as a poor man's substitute to this, is simply chat via IM as we play (although it does mean popping in and out of the game).

When playing a game like this I see there being about 3 basic stages of progression:
    1) Clueless newbiehood.
    2) Getting a grip on the mechanics and learning to play the quests I choose in an optimized manner with what is out there (where I am roughly).
    3) Actually paying attention to what my opponents are doing to the point of guessing their identity and even taking note of which quests/buildings have yet to come up.

So basically, I know how to play competently but, other than their point totals, I really have little idea what my opponents are up to. I know how to EASILY look up their history of moves, but I really have no idea what to do with that information. I guess if being sneaky I can always do basic stuff like look at their current quests so I have an idea which meeple they need to collect so I can factor in how best to block them off while still getting the meeples I need.

6. ednan

ednan Well-Known Member

What I'm doing atm is simply paying attention to my game to find the mechanics that work better and etc. I'm not really playing thinking about what each player can/not do.

7. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Same here, as I recall I had a decent lead going and then, on the final turn, he dropped one of those 25 pointers! :eek:

8. Morgan01

Morgan01 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2013
    USA
    With all the problems this developer has had with its other titles, I'm not willing to bank on another one of their games. Time will tell if tha changes.

9. ednan

ednan Well-Known Member

#109 ednan, Nov 24, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
    Problems? Like what?

-----------------

I've created a thread to exchange playdek names ⬅ ⬅ ⬅

10. mgdpublic

mgdpublic Member

Nov 20, 2010
    This game needs a damn sound indicating it's your turn in MP. I look down and see my time wasting away. There's a fricking sound for everything except letting you know it's your turn. I've lost 2 games to time forfeiture. They also need to add a 45 min option cuz 30 just cuts it too close and an hour is too long.

11. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    My GCID is griffin611.

Yeah, where is the chatroom? (Even Drive on Moscow has one!)

12. aaronius80

aaronius80 Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2010
    Legal/Enforcement
    Asia
    #112 aaronius80, Nov 25, 2013
    Was looking for this thread! Just bought the game two days ago. Loving it so far! Still a noob and have lost a few times to the AI already but still I am up for a few games with real people especially with the Ascension folks!:)

Add me: aaronius80

13. ednan

ednan Well-Known Member

#113 ednan, Nov 25, 2013
    I can't find you. What's your name inside the game, the name there isn't necessarily the same as the GC one, they aren't related at all.

Added. But you don't seem to have the game :confused: I can't create a game with you (do you use aaronius80 as your username for playdek games?)

Also put your usernames here. It's better to have a thread there to easily find names :)

As for a chatroom, maybe we could make one with iMessage or other app.

14. aaronius80

aaronius80 Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2010
    Legal/Enforcement
    Asia
    My Playdek username is the same is my GC ID. Maybe because I haven't attempted an online game yet. Let me try to find you instead?:)

15. iPadisGreat

Dec 10, 2012
    Just buy at a price you think it is worth, with no further expectations of support. Somewhat like back in the DOS days where what you see is what you get, period.

iPadisStillPuzzledByTanteCurore...

16. ednan

ednan Well-Known Member

Tanto Cuore is awesome!

If the "problem" is the license of Ascension, that's pretty common. Not Playdek's fault by any means. And this game just released, therefore it's nearly impossible have any issues with license...

17. iPadisGreat

Dec 10, 2012
    I am just waiting for expansions. I will probably pick up Agricola when the expansion hits.

18. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Sage advice, don't expect post-release support/content and you will not be disappointed. Unfortunately some of us have ended up being overly invested in already released games.

19. iPadisGreat

Dec 10, 2012
    Yes, that is exactly why I am waiting for the new Lone Wolf and Sorcery series to complete before buying them in one fell swoop.

Has anyone actually beaten the AI in Lords of Waterdeep? I watched the Tabletop episode last night, and while Felicia Day was hot, I didn't pick up much of anything else from there...

20. ednan

ednan Well-Known Member

I did beat the AI a few times. Sometimes it's just sheer luck, but it's manageable if you do the right quests for your Lord card.