Universal Lords of Waterdeep - (by Playdek, Inc.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Nov 20, 2013.

1. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    Game looks very interesting, the name alone rings bells for me as I remember old crpg's that were set there.

I have no problem with the price.

My only concern (as usual) is.. How hard/complex is it?

I do love board games but I've been stung by buying ones I never understood and thus didn't play.

Ticket to ride.. I love
    Le Havre, Eclipse I bought but they were a waste of money as I never understood them and uninstalled them.

2. Kirenx

Kirenx Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2012
    I own the physical version and it is very light, easy to teach non-gamers yet deep enough to offer some development of strategies to those who want more. It's my favourite worker-placement game and probably the most accessible I've tried.

3. Snotty128

Snotty128 Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2013
    This would be more of a ticket to ride than an eclipse or agricola. In the beginning it's quite straightforward to collect the cubes you need for the quest in your hand, score your victory points, and go get another quest.

I can't speak to the depth of the strategy in the long term, but there are certainly more layers to the gameplay once you become comfortable with your basic strategy.

4. sivad

sivad Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Glad to read this, I'm very interested but as a previous poster said, I never grasped Agricola, and that's not a knock on play dark but the whole concept and scoring was either too complex of its just not my type game. I want to get in on this but I'm worried about my simple mind ;)

5. anabolicMike

anabolicMike Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Wait. 10 bucks? NOT F2P???? Wow did not expect that. Thought for sure id be F2P. This is an insta buy. Insta freaking buy. Plus I'm excited beyond belief

6. charlesatan

charlesatan Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2013
    More complex than Ticket to Ride, but significantly easier to learn than Eclipse.

I never learned to play Agricola despite the tutorials on the App. But LoW has a three (or four?)-part tutorial and relatively easy to grasp.

7. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

Hahahaha, well technically only $7 in the US ;)

Now that they've adjusted things, it's infinitely more easy to understand. It looks complicated and unwieldy, but it's very similar to Stone Age.

What's fun is when you play against people. Watch the tabletop episode, and as nuutsch pointed out you'll never get pooping position out of your head, nor Owlbears and you'll see how fun it is to torment your friends by resetting quests that would he perfect for them, or snagging the only spot to get wizards and so on.

What pisses me off to no end, though, is a lack of any kind of chat, voice or text, in PlayDek games. Is it REALLLLY so much to ask?!??

That said, $7 is well worth it. Mene, if you could get Stone Age, you'll be able to get this.

8. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    May be you should. It is fun and less complex than many other worker-placement game like Eclipse and Le Havre -- especially if you skip the card thing.

9. trystero

trystero Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Wow. Played a few of the tutorials on the iphone. What a win so far... I couldn't imagine how they would make it playable on such a small screen, but it feels pretty comfortable and plays in vertical mode which is awesome for when I am standing on the subway.

10. biokid

biokid Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Wop Wops
  11. Birth1118

Birth1118 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    Auditor
    MA, US
    Is this a good game? Seems a bit over priced for another Agricola. I mean it has little to do with DND, right?

12. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    Yes, yes, and please read the PT review above and see if it conveniences you. Of course you can always wait for a reduction/sale. Fingers crossed. (and I am a Leaf in the Wind)

Back: my wife thinks even Stone Age is too "complicated" to win. I have serious doubt that she will also play this one.

13. Bowflexman

Bowflexman Well-Known Member

May 9, 2011
    Awesome game

14. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    But the theme of it really evokes the rich fantasy setting that it takes place in. Definitely feels like more than just a reskinned Agricola when you are playing it.

15. Birth1118

Birth1118 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    Auditor
    MA, US
    So many turned based tactic games to play. But you are right, I'll check out the PT review first. If it's fun then the price is worth a universal game. Five star games don't come by easily.

PS: treat you wife like a game and a game like you wife!

16. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    Note: She plays Caracassonne alright, not Ascension, not Stone Age, not ABHotW -- may be she should try Café International some day.

17. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    If you can play TtR, then you will have no problem with this. Think of the missions in this game as analogous to the route cards in TtR and you will be just fine.

18. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    How was Nightfall killed? I ask because zi have it installed along w/iaps but never got around to truly learning how to play.

19. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    #60 Ayjona, Nov 21, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
    Go do it! I'm also curious as to how Nightfall has been killed (in the literal or symbolic sense? Development stopped and no more expansions?), but single player, local and online async multi still works, and it is probably the most satisfying and entertaining deck construction/card-based (non-CCG) board games I've played. Quite complex, probably the hardest to learn and master of all Playdek titles (yes, perhaps even more so than Summoner Wars, which is easy to learn but hard to be truly proficient at), but VERY rewarding once you do.

As for Lords of Waterdeep: I don't trust Owen and the rest of the Pocket Tactics crew blindly, but I do think they are some of the more qualified reviewers of strategy, tactics and board games out there, and PT rewarded LoW top marks. I am anxious for the time to try it out.

But Playdek, could you please consider adding a chat system and push notifications that lead directly into the match in question reasonably soon? :) (In general, just look at Carcassonne, and do everything they did in terms of multiplayer and async implentation. Playdek might have attained a general mastery of porting board games to iOS, but Carcassonne represents the pinnacle...)