Universal Lords of Waterdeep - (by Playdek, Inc.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Nov 20, 2013.

1. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    While I only played the physical board game once, it was really easy to grasp and clearly allowed for some strategic planning.

The game is, like most victory point based games, all about getting more points than your opponents by game's end. Points are made primarily by fulfilling quests, which in turn are almost always about recruiting the required party members to complete them. Once a quest is completed it will reward the player with victory points and other game resources, usually in relation to its difficulty (that quest that just required 2 fighters won't grant you anything near as grand as the one that required a precise mixture of 8 party members). Each turn you send out your limited agents to different buildings in the city to recruit party members. So the trick of the game is to not only pick quests you think you can most easily complete, but to look at the quest rewards and complete ones that will, in turn, aid you in completing some of the bigger quests you still need to complete.

Besides racing each other for the most points, how are the other players involved you might ask? Well in a few ways. Those buildings you send agents to recruit party members only have limited parking spaces, as it were, so often you will be unable to send an agent to the building you need. Also, even more insidious, are the game's Intrigue cards that besides directly helping you complete your assigned quests, provide you with means to mess with your opponents (allowing you to steal their quests or have to return some yet unused recruited party members).

Lastly, the game throws in a final mysterious bit when it comes to calculating the winner at the end. In addition to the clearly tracked public score for each of the players, they each have a hidden character card that will grant them bonuses to certain mission types. So at the end of the game the players all reveal their hidden character and tabulate the additional points granted due to that card. So part of the more advanced strategy is to try NOT to be so obvious in the mission types you're seeking out. If my hidden character is "Father Ted" who will grant me a bonus for all of the Piety mission types I complete, if all I did were Piety missions the other players might soon realize I must be father Ted and do whatever they could to either block me from getting any Piety missions or at least focus their attention to making completion of said quest types much harder ("Oh geez, are there no free spaces at the monastery to recruit those needed monks, I'm so sorry").

2. nuutsch

nuutsch Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2012
    Pooping position :D

I.Want.This.
    4 hours to go..

3. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Thanks for the overview! I can't wait until later tonight or tomorrow when I get to play this!

4. CaptLudd

CaptLudd Well-Known Member

May 1, 2013
    I just re-downloaded and restored my 1 DLC pack, the core bundle 1, with no problem, sorry to hear you are having problems. The worst thing about this is that you obviously played this lots or you wouldn't be so upset about it, while i have stopped playing it as i just couldn't grasp it well enough to get a win, even against the A.I.

As for LoW, i am on the fence bigtime since i really hated carcossonne, and chose san juan over puerto rico because it was a card game once removed from a worker placement game, so to speak. I did watch the Tabletop vid and it did seem interesting, but.......i just don't know......maybe

5. Gilgilad

Gilgilad Well-Known Member

May 15, 2013
    #25 Gilgilad, Nov 20, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
    I own the physical version of LoW along with its expansion Skullport. As I posted in the upcoming thread for this game, LoW is one of the best introduction gateway game to new gamers getting into Euro worker placement board games. It is basically a lighter version of Caylus. It also has a D&D theme which is a major plus for me personally since I find a lot of the other popular worker placement games to have rather dull themes and the D&D branding will also drive sales.

The Skullport expansion does bring a lot to the base game in enhancing the strategy and options, but for the iOS version I think most people will not need it from the start since a lot of iOS gamers will be new to the genre in general anyway and a major reason for LoW's popularity is that it is light. The LoW base game does what it does well, and a later expansion patch of Skullport will be very welcome later when it comes.

6. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Exactly. Fun theme and very clear gameplay. I don't believe there is any sort of maintenance aspect like seen in Le Havre, Stone Age, or especially Agricola, so while clearly some decisions are MUCH better than others, there really is little fear of a wrong call wiping you out entirely later. As far as I know there is no way a player can be really brought into the red point wise.

7. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    This + Drive on Moscow = an expensive iOS week. Have at it!

8. strivemind

strivemind Well-Known Member

The Summoner Wars IAP restore error is for people who bought the original "everything" full unlock bundle that was present when the game was first released. This is different from the current Core1 bundle, and was around $8 or $9.

9. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    Does anyone know the installed file size?

10. Snotty128

Snotty128 Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2013
    If that's the number that's in general/usage then mine is 363mb with 1 profile

11. ojtitus

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    Thank you and that is interesting as that seems less than the download size listed in the OP.

12. Snotty128

Jul 26, 2013
    My App Store claims it's a 358mb download, so that plus the 4mb profile looks about right to me

13. ojtitus

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    That makes more sense. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

14. Snotty128

Jul 26, 2013
    It's probably covered in the errata in the rulebook, or it could just be the wording on the card here but I have had a problem with the heroes garden building.

The building states 'take one face up quest. You may immediately complete that quest. If you do, score 4vp'

Now I had a mandatory quest in my hand which stopped me from playing the quest I had just picked, so no bonus vp for me. No undo button either to change my move (understandable as a new random quest card is shown after I pick my quest)

I can only assume mandatory quests always take priority, but it does conflict with what the heroes garden says.

15. Strangiato

Strangiato Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2011
    Mandatory Quests say "That opponent cannot complete any non-Mandatory Quests until this Quest is completed." "Cannot complete" takes precedence over the "may immediately complete" on Heroes' Garden.

16. Snotty128

Jul 26, 2013
    So the text on the heroes garden is screwed up then. I thought after you have placed a worker in any position and resolved its effect, then you 'may immediately complete a quest' as part of the natural turn order.

Perhaps heroes garden should read 'take one face up quest. If you immediately complete that quest then score 4vp'

17. Strangiato

Strangiato Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2011
    Not really. Heroes' Garden allows you to immediately complete that quest as part of its effect.

You're still allowed to complete another quest after your agent assignment has been resolved (if you have enough resources for one of your active quests).

18. Snotty128

Jul 26, 2013
    Fair enough, so because of the mandatory quest it just skipped to the end of the turn, and I only got to play one quest. Well, I still won so it's not the end of the world. I guess I'm going to have to learn each nuance the hard way as there's no way to undo a move when you get trapped by an unexpected rule combo

19. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

I bought "everything" when the game was on super sale for a dollar, the restore seemed to work for me, am I in the second camp?

20. biokid

biokid Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Wop Wops
    I have already bought this, but I am just curious how much this game and Agricola are going to cost during the annual Playdek appstore sale. All other titles by Playdek are on sale for $0.99 during that period (original price: $2.99).