Android (Looking for testers) CyberCards: roguelike strategic card game

Discussion in 'Android Games' started by Cerca, May 15, 2023.

1. Cerca

Cerca Member

May 15, 2023
    Male
    Hey everyone,

I'm currently developing a new game called CyberCards - a roguelike strategic card game set in a cyberpunk world. I'm looking for beta testers to help me fine-tune the game's difficulty and balance.

The game is playable, but it needs your feedback to make it even better. As a beta tester, you'll have the opportunity to play the game and provide valuable feedback on gameplay, difficulty, and any bugs or glitches you may encounter.

CyberCards offers a unique gameplay experience where each playthrough is randomized, providing a new challenge every time. As you navigate through the game's challenges, you'll need to strategize and carefully choose your cards to succeed.

If you're interested in becoming a beta tester, you can join the beta here:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cercaapp.game.cybercards

Thank you for your support, and I can't wait to hear your feedback on CyberCards!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. klaxon

klaxon Member

May 12, 2023
    Male
    I have completed the tutorial and mostly get the basic concepts. I need to read through the tutorial again to fully remember the turn sequence, especially of the opponent phases. Some new ideas to get used to with the mission objectives in addition to card battling. The cyberpunk setting is what got me interested playing.

3. Cerca

Cerca Member

May 15, 2023
    Male
    It's not a simple game, that it's true.

So my call for testers is to see if people can "get it" without too much trouble and be interested on those first matches.

Hope to read your opinion after you get some games, thanks!

4. klaxon

klaxon Member

May 12, 2023
    Male
    I shall certainly figure it out and report back ;)

5. klaxon

klaxon Member

May 12, 2023
    Male
    I am trying first game and confused part way through o_O. I get the turn sequencing which is clear when in game. The prompts for possible actions make procedure easy to follow. I concentrated to reduce rival mission points and then got rival life to zero expecting to win the game. Instead the rival has moved to ‘phase two’. Could you explain ‘phase two’? I think there was reference in tutorial but not sure what happens next.

Something could be said in tutorial about cards acting on same turn as played, as most games wait till next turn. Would be worth pointing out maybe. It’s a good thing, and speeds up play.

I got impression from tutorial that moving between street and base would cause exhaustion but I see my streetpunk can attack rival and then move to base in same turn even though shown as exhausted.

‘Brain Overclock’ card. Does it add +1 to my brain every turn in play or is it one use?

Who did art for cards and background? Effective and adds atmosphere.

6. Cerca

Cerca Member

May 15, 2023
    Male
    Disclaimer, the mechanics of this game are heavily inspired by a physical card game called Marvel Champions, so some mechanics come from that.
    The 2 phases help make the rival stronger on the late game. The rival starts stronger than the player and then the player begins building his board deploying resources & troops. So player gets stronger and then on the 2nd phase the rival gets stronger again (more attack/brain, maybe some new mechanic...).
    If there was no rival progression the player would just get a big board full of resources/troops and just steamroll the rival until the end of the match.

Do you mean summoning sickness like in Magic? Yes, I could add that in the tutorial because people coming from games like Magic would think like that.

Maybe joining both things would make the game more difficult and less deep. Right now when you low on health on the street you can do things like:

- Not attacking, going to base (so rival won't attack you) and heal. On next turn you can change to street and attack.
    - Not attacking, going to base (so rival won't attack you) and heal. On next turn you heal and then change to street so rival won't advance the mission too much.
    - Attacking, going to base (so rival won't attack you) and the next turn you heal and then change to street so rival won't advance the mission too much.

These 2 things being separated make decisions more interesting, but you pay the price of a little complexity.

Resources stay on board and if there is no mention to "action" or "use" they apply its effect continously.
    On the other hand if it was a temporal effect it would be an event or maybe a resource with 3 uses and it would say something like "Player gets +1 brain until end of turn" or "Player gets +1 brain until end of turn (2 uses remaining)"

It's AI art using Midjourney.
    I know it's a controversial subject but without it this game wouldn't exist. This a game made by a solo developer with little art hability.
    Think about how much it would cost in time and money to hire an illustrator to make more than 100 art pieces for this game (each card has its own art). And the amount of emails or video meetings to review the art, make changes, review again, etc...
    I'm a realist and think that it's quite difficult for this game to make some money so if I had to make this paying an illustrator I wouldn't even try to start it.

On one hand this is shit for some artists but on the other this enables people like me to make a game with ok art. It's a complex subject, that I can tell you :-/

7. klaxon

klaxon Member

May 12, 2023
    Male
    Thank you for taking the time to make the detailed reply. It helps a lot in becoming familiar with gameplay complexity. Difficult to cover everything in a tutorial. First off, thanks for explaining about the art. We are sure living in interesting times, and I understand how there is big controversy. Maybe with the introduction of generators like Adobe Firefly it will become less contentious.

I was indeed referring to the summoning sickness of Magic which seems to also be in many other card games, so some players may miss being able to act with cards immediately. I didn’t pick up on it at first.

I’ve completed three games that all ended in defeat :(. These were the first ‘easy’ campaign games. I think it will take time to work out a winning strategy as there are so many variables to consider. More like playing a tactical wargame than a card battler. I’m getting better at moving between street and base when appropriate. As you explained there are several ways to use that to advantage.

I agree that the second phase end game is where rival is strongest. I can easily get through phase one. Then I’m faced with the rival plus henchmen plus two or three missions to be countered and I never have enough resources. I have to figure out how to build up more troops in phase one.

In my last attempt the rival suddenly gained a shield which I had not seen before. I presume it only takes one hit to remove the shield but perhaps you can confirm that.

Overall the play is very engrossing with the cards continually making new challenges.

8. Cerca

Cerca Member

May 15, 2023
    Male
    Don't know if you have you checked the strategy tips?

If you let the rival build his board you are dead. So removing henchmen and secondary mission is also important.

As it's a complex game where part of the fun is discovering the better strategy to win I was reluctant to include tips. But also the game is scary for some players so maybe I should add more tips or a way to teach the user. I don't know...

9. klaxon

klaxon Member

May 12, 2023
    Male
    Overall strategy is clear, just have to draw some good cards and put in place. Will let you know when I win a game!

Cerca likes this.