Looking for Quality hidden object game

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by forsakenxe, Mar 7, 2015.

1. forsakenxe

forsakenxe Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2014
    hey guys,
    After playing agent Alice and having to grind a lot I am looking for a premium game with high production quality. I have not played any of these games before so suggest the best :)

Cheers!

2. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    I have not played agent Alice. Generally the 2 companies that produce the best HOGs are going to be Big Fish and G5 Entertainment. Big Fish literally has hundreds of them and there is a lot of variation of what people like. If it has 4 stars or less reviews though probably best to look at the ones with 4 1/2 to 5 stars reviews - there are still lots and lots of them. Same with G5. Many of them are try before you buy, so nothing to lose except the time downloading and trying them. G5 similarly has dozens of good ones. Most of these tend to be adventure HOG. If you like purely HOG without any story, then forget everything I wrote above - I have some of these too, but it has been a couple years since I played them.

3. Silvers

Silvers Well-Known Member

May 18, 2014
    #3 Silvers, Mar 7, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
    Try Nevertales: the Beauty Within, published by Big Fish and developed by Madhead games. I've played dozens of hidden object games to completion, and it's one of the best I've tried.

It makes a great introduction to the current state of the genre.

There's a one hour free trial with a single iap unlock.

If you give me more details about what you like in a game and storyline, I should be able to recommend something that fits you like a tailored glove.

Edit: two more safe bets for just about anyone...

Nightmares from the Deep: the Cursed Heart if you like pirates
    Dark Realm: Queen of Flames if you like dragons

4. forsakenxe

forsakenxe Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2014
    Hey guys,

Sorry for the late reply!

I do not really like the big fish games because I want to play the games in German but my iPad is English (cause all other games are fine In English for me but some rarely used words in hidden object games I don't know so that's annoying to have to look them up).

Is there an option or workaround for that?

Also I do not like the ads etc. it's quality but somehow it dies not really click with me but I will give it another shot in a few days.

I just tried out Melissa k. Games today and they seem more like what I was hoping for. Dunno about the English language yet but it seems like I need to find fragments etc. which helps.

Setting wise I prefer medieval/fantasy settings or crime/detective stuff. Also thriller/drama etc. so if you have more recommendations please tell me :)

Overall really good suggestions looking forward to more from :)

Cheers!

5. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    I think the MumboJumo "Midnight Mysteries" are some of the best hidden object games I have played on IOS.

6. Silvers

Silvers Well-Known Member

May 18, 2014
    #6 Silvers, Mar 13, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2015
    The only ads in Big Fish games are the ones when you first start the game. It's just a splash screen.

Big Fish are THE hidden object publishers, so you are locking yourself out of most of the highest quality games of the genre by boycotting them. Think of them as Steam for hidden object games. You can definitely buy pc games that are not on Steam, but if you refuse to use Steam you'll miss out on a lot of good ones.

Among developers who publish their hidden object games with Big Fish, sometimes exclusively...

Blue Tea, Elephant Games, Artifex Mundi, ERS, Gogii, Boom Zap, Eipix...

Regarding your language issue, I sympathize. I learned much of my early technical German from an Austrian copy of Master of Orion Ii.

Nearly all modern hidden object games come with built in hints. If you don't know an object, you can use it. Some games have varying levels of help... For instance, tapping on a word might give you a silhouette of the object. Sometimes the lists are in pictures instead of words. Mad Head games sometimes will narrate a short story and have you point at the things it mentions. Eipix and some Artifax Mundi games let you switch on the fly between a match 3 or mah Jong minigames (make a few matches to cross off the object you didn't know, then switch back to hidden object mode).

Most Big Fish Games also come with either a link to or an integrated complete strategy guide, including item locations when not randomized.

I also think the company's sales model is excellent. You download the full game for free, play for an hour with no restrictions, and if you decide to keep going there's a single iap to the tune of roughly half the price of the equivalent pc version. If you're looking for bargains, every day at least one of their games is at a 20 to 55 percent discount.

If you absolutely refuse to try Big Fish, then there ARE a few other options.

G5 is the other big hidden object publisher. Their sales model is the same as their competitor's, though, including ads on the splash screen. The main difference is a gold bordered icon rather than a blue one, and an arguably less impressive back catalogue (with some VERY notable exceptions). G5 has endeared itself to TA users by periodically setting the price of a premium hope to zero and posting about it in the sales forum.

Alawar has made some good hopas, and they publish a few under their own name on the App Store.

There are also some indie devs doing interesting things with the genre on a budget. The list of adventure games thread in this forum is a good way to find them. They tend to stand out by mostly using lightly altered (by genre standards) photographs for their scenes. They also have less hidden objects and more puzzles, minigames and key hunts. By and large, what they lack in deep pockets they make up for in enthusiasm.

So... Big Fish is like Steam, G5 is like Green Man Gaming and the indies are Desura.

For good reviews of hidden object games, try All About Casual Gaming. They're a PC site, but most ios hidden object games are poorts from the PC. I often find myself agreeing with them.

Tl; Dr

Don't like Big Fish? Try any Artifax Mundi game published by G5. Abyss: the Wraiths of Eden and Nightmares from the Deep: the cursed heart are particular favorites. Alawar's Snark Hunters: High Society is older but also worth a shot.

7. cat_of_cheshire

Mar 24, 2015
    PR at CrispApps
    Hidden Objects games for iOS

There is a company who is pro in Hidden Objects games - CrispApp.com. Their most well known game is Time Trap with post-apocalyptic theme, though I would recommend to try their new games as well like "Detective Holmes: Trap for the Hunter" or "Romance with Chocolate".

They have several free packs in App Store (e.g. Hidden Objects Collection: 6 games) where you can try several locations of paid games and decide if you like them.

8. purejenix

purejenix Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2011
  9. fabell

fabell Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2016
    I don't play hidden object games but my wife does (a lot). Her favorite is Secret Society, which is more like an MMO hidden object than anything else (for sheer volume of content).

I've heard the Drawn games are quite good but they are hidden object/puzzle games, where you find objects and then use those objects. They are pretty as heck but the puzzles are often a bit blah.

10. rsmllc

rsmllc New Member

Feb 22, 2016
  11. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    Tales From the Dragon Mountain: The Lair (Full) is free for a time. G5 has a many good quality games too!

12. Dankrio

Dankrio Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    Great thread. I am getting some games. Vever heard of Big Fish.

Are the storylines cool from their games?

13. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Big Fish is a huge developer working with many other companies.

Www.bigfish.com. I think they have at least 1000 HOG for ios, and many times that for PC.

They have stories/genres for every type of interest. Their great games range easily in the dozens. Generally the star ratings in the App Store are reasonable with the ones having hundreds of 5 star ratings being pretty safe. Also, the vast majority of them have a free to try version, so you can try and buy with IAP, or try the free version, and buy the full version if you dont like IAP. They have daily sales as well to save you some bucks.

14. AdoreGames

AdoreGames Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2015
    UK
    Hey everyone! ;)

First off, thanks for your suggestions! Never heard of some:)

Do you, guys, know any other (well except BigFish, G5, GameHouse) hidden object game publishers out there?

15. Ailyas898

Ailyas898 New Member

Nov 20, 2016
    Hidden Object Games

Hey Guys,
    I recently put up some new Hidden Object games on the IOS App Store. They are for all audiences including kids. Check them out!!!

I Spy: Hidden Object: Midnight Mysteries - Witch's Curse Free by Ammar Ilyas
    https://appsto.re/us/ThB_4.i

I Spy: Hidden Object: Princess for the Christmas - Winter Story Free by Ammar Ilyas
    https://appsto.re/us/BLy_4.i

Mahjong Sushi Free - The best Mahjong in the World by Ammar Ilyas
    https://appsto.re/us/fWeR5.i

I Spy: Lost Island - Temple of Doom Free by Ammar Ilyas
    https://appsto.re/us/MoB_4.i

16. Georgina

Georgina Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jan 30, 2010
    Sydney
    I'm enjoying Hidden City: Mystery of Shadows, but the energy system barely lets me play for fifteen minutes before I have to wait. Is there anything similar out there that I can purchase once for unlimited play?

Specifically, I like the high-quality graphics, making collections, and the storylines/quests. I've tried a couple of other games by G5 (Secret Society and Twin Moons Society) but they had the same energy system.

Thanks!

17. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    I am guessing that is one of their free titles? I recommend looking at the pay once, play forever titles. There is some appeal to a number of those massive free titles, but they always have some gimmick that requires either playing for short times, or paying money so you can play for longer times. I will have to think about some specific recommendations of HOGs that might meet your interests.

18. Okserg

Okserg New Member

Jan 19, 2017
    Hidden object game for guys

Do any of you know of any HOG developed for men? It's funny, I've been a game player for years, and I know there was a time where there were no games distributed with a female antagonist. I'm delighted that many games now offer gender as a choice in establishing the character. But it's been an odd circumstance with HOG titles. I have found only a couple of games from this genre with male leads. Normally this wouldn't be a big deal, but because the game plays as you taking on that persona, it seems strange that all the games have a female perspective only.

Sorry about the long message. In a nutshell, please let me know of any hidden object games for iOS with a male protagonist.

Thank you

19. athanh8807

athanh8807 New Member

Dec 11, 2016
    -xXx-
    -xXx-
    Hi. Artiflex Mundi is the best of HOG publisher in mobile until now, right?