Looking for feedback/beta testers [Cops 'n Robbers]

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Silvanis, Jun 2, 2013.

1. shortandnoisy

shortandnoisy Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2012
    UK
    I have a question about the IAP. Are the extra lifes you can buy consumable or do they change the amount of lives a player has forever?

Edit: just looked in the store, pretty sure my question is answered

2. Silvanis

Silvanis Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2012
    co-owner of Silver Moonfire
    They are consumable. It's mainly a way for people to support the game further if they want. Between the level select and having 3 lives each time you play, you can beat the game without too much trouble.

3. shortandnoisy

Sep 5, 2012
    UK
    I was playing earlier, can't remember what level, it might've been 11, but the rookie got stuck at a gas station. Trying to figure out how to upload pictures from the TA app now.

4. Living Legend

Living Legend Well-Known Member

May 30, 2013
    You have to be on a browser, not the app.

5. Silvanis

Nov 2, 2012
    Good to know we're getting down to behavior bugs instead of crash bugs :D

If the rookie was still on the road and just couldn't figure out where to go, that's a pathfinding bug. I should probably beef up the code to pick a random direction if it can't figure out which way to go. I had an amusing one yesterday where the fat cop couldn't figure out how to get back to the police station after eating a laced doughnut...took him a couple of minutes to make it back.

If he walked off the road and onto the gas station, then there's a problem with my level data; anything non-road shouldn't be a valid place to walk to.

6. shortandnoisy

Sep 5, 2012
    UK
    Thanks living legend, here it is. Rookie stayed there, just off the path trying to go up for the rest of the level

Attached Files:

7. Darklord1011

Darklord1011 Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2013
    Can i still join the beta test, or it it over, i have sent a request..
    [email protected]

8. Silvanis

Nov 2, 2012
    Interesting. The level grid is fine there, so he managed to go somewhere he wasn't supposed to. I think that's an interaction between the pathfinding code not finding a path and the turn around code. I have a couple ideas for fixing that.

9. Silvanis

Nov 2, 2012
    Added. Welcome to the few, the proud, the beta testers :D

10. Darklord1011

Darklord1011 Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2013
    Ok i played a game till level 7-8 , will finish it, later on, but here is what i feel about the game..

Pros :-
    Concept Is Good, Almost Similar To Pacman, With Some Interesting Changes.
    Level Are Well Structured And Easy To Understand.
    I Personally Preferred Swipe Movements Rather Than, D - Pad Movements.:p
    Graphics Of The Game Are Good, But Can Better.:)

Following Will Be My Suggestions.

Add More Levels.

Increase In Movement Speed Perk Or Have 2x, 3x, Game Speed Up Button, Which Will Create A Challenge By Itself To Complete At Higher Speeds.

Improved Graphics, With Smooth Edges.

Add A Guard Dog Or Police Dog, Or I Would Like That Big Guy To Be Replaced By It.

The Rival Battle Seems Like, Equal On Both Sides (I Only Played Level 5 Rival), We Both Scored 67.(But I Dont Know How I Cleared That Level):confused:

Will Add Some More Suggestions, As Soon As I , Play More Of It.

Thanks.

11. Silvanis

Nov 2, 2012
    Adding levels 16-20 as part of the 1.1 patch. Level 20 promises to be some level of insane, but I'm still working on it, so I don't know how far the dial goes past 11 :D Here's a hint, though: 297 tiles of walkable space. Level 16 has 189.

It's really hard to do smooth edges at a 16x16 tile resolution (iPhone 3GS). So if I'm forced to go old school, I'm going to embrace that with blocky graphics. That, and I'm limited to my ability to draw and Celeste's talents at shading.

It's possible to tie on level 5 if both you and the Rival grab the necklace. It's worth 5 points each time it's picked up and has a random spawn time.

12. Living Legend

May 30, 2013
    I've tied once too. But I don't think I ever had more points than her. Are you supposed to beat her in order to continue the next level?

13. Silvanis

Nov 2, 2012
    No, it's a bonus level. Whether you beat her or not you'll go on. But you'll lose out on that Rival Level Bonus (5000 points on level 5) that you see on the level end screen.

14. Living Legend

May 30, 2013
    Okay I thought so, just wanted to check...

15. Zer0suM

Zer0suM Member

May 16, 2012
    #115 Zer0suM, Jul 8, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2013
    S,
    You are gonna hate me for this. On the level where you play against the girl on the last ring I quit and crashed.
    You might have the crash log it happened 2 days ago.

Also, when you pause the game you can end up dropping all your items too. I think with it paused nothing should happen IMO. If someone was to pause and accidentally hit them while setting the device down may cause some frustration.

You are doing a nice job with all the improvements.

16. Silvanis

Nov 2, 2012
    Yeah, I see the log. Looks like it crashed because the rival was cleared from memory at the time the level tried to save. I can fix that. (Same fix I did for the cops, really, just need to apply it to the rival).

I'll have to investigate the touch chain for the item problem. The options screen should be absorbing all the touches and keeping them from getting to the UI layer, but apparently not.

And it's more of a love/hate thing, really :D Love that you test the wierdest things, hate that I have to fix them.

17. Living Legend

May 30, 2013
    I was just playing it. When I beat level 6 I pressed quit game. Then I went to level select but pressed back clicking nothing else I'm sure. Then I went to highscores to go see how much I had to get. Then I returned to the main menu and pressed continue. It took me to the next level. But it showed my score as zero!

18. Silvanis

Nov 2, 2012
    Doh! I piggyback on the "fresh game" initialization code when you continue a game at the end of a level, and forgot to change how it loads the score class. That's fixed now :)

Also fixed a bug where the robbers eyes in the UI wouldn't load if you continued a game. I'm almost done with levels 17-19, so I'm going to toss all of this into one update.

19. Silvanis

Nov 2, 2012
    Just to give you a taste: this is what level 20 looks like right now. Work in progress, of course :cool:

Attached Files:

20. Silvanis

Nov 2, 2012
    New build. Assuming no major problems, I think this will be the last build until I finish level 20.

-improved pathfinding for NPCs; they will now move in a random, valid direction if they cannot find a path to the object they're looking for
    -fixed crash bug when saving game at end of rival level
    -fixed bug where items could be used on the pause/options screen
    -fixed bug where continuing a game saved at the end of the level would reset the score
    -fixed bug where Robber's eyes would not appear when continuing a game
    -added levels 17-19
    -fixed bug where level maps wouldn't scroll completely