Looking for feedback/beta testers [Cops 'n Robbers]

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Silvanis, Jun 2, 2013.

1. Silvanis

Silvanis Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2012
    co-owner of Silver Moonfire
    New build!
    -tweaked cop speeds. Rookie is slightly slower, Fat Cop is slower, Corrupt Cop is faster when chasing, and Inspector will match your speed when chasing.
    -added Store for in app purchases. Available from title screen and game over screen.
    -fixed bug with iPhone 3G Inspector graphics (missing frames)
    -fixed cop spawn point on level 12
    -added achievements
    -code cleanup (fix analyze errors, moved common init code to separate function)

This is pretty close to release state. I need to add level 15, fix the instruction screen, and put in the restrictions for the level select screen (can only select levels you've been to). I want to give you guys a chance to kick the tires on this one before submitting.

You won't be able to purchase from the store (need a test user account with Apple for that).

2. shortandnoisy

shortandnoisy Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2012
    UK
    I know you said we can't buy extra lifes, but I tapped the "save the robber" button on game over, to see what happened and crashed to home screen. Is that just because its not open yet or a bug?

3. Silvanis

Nov 2, 2012
    That's a bug...was releasing the view controller too soon. I should have another build out in a few hours that will fix that along with all the other things I need to have cleaned up for release.

4. Silvanis

Nov 2, 2012
    #84 Silvanis, Jun 30, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2013
    This is it! I'll be submitting this build to Apple shortly, so hopefully you guys won't find any bugs :D
    Build notes:
    -enhanced graphics for levels 6-14
    -added level 15
    -level select now limited to levels you have been to before
    -removed FPS display
    -level select now shows what level you have selected
    -instruction screen now mentions both control methods
    -removed High Scores button from iPhone/iPod version of Game Over screen as it would load sideways
    -fixed issue where Store would crash upon load from Game Over screen
    -increased bonus time threshold for all levels

I will keep this build (and any subsequent ones) available for beta testing until the game goes live (July 11th unless something happens).

5. Silvanis

Nov 2, 2012
    Apple now requires iPhone 5 support, so I've updated with a basic support (splash screen only). We'll see if they reject it and force me to redo ALL the screens...

Also fixed a bug with dismissing the store.

6. Zer0suM

Zer0suM Member

May 16, 2012
    I found another quit bug upon collecting the last coin on level 2. I quit once I collected the last coin returned to the game and found cops in the lower left corner again, the eyes of the robber missing at the bottom, and the game would not continue.
    Nice job on the graphical improvements to the game.
    Still hunting bugs.

7. Silvanis

Nov 2, 2012
    I hate you, Zer0suM...okay, not really :D

Didn't think of the scenario of quitting at the end of a level (mainly because there's not quit game button on the level end screen). That's not a quick fix; I'll have to change how I save and load to take that into account.

But seriously, thank you for pointing it out. I'm just pushing to get this out the door so having to put more work in is driving me crazy(er). ;)

8. Silvanis

Nov 2, 2012
    #88 Silvanis, Jul 1, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2013
    A few of the things that have been driving me up the wall:

• iOS defaults to NOT showing achievement banners when you get an achievement...thanks, Apple :p
    • ...But it wouldn't matter because I wasn't keeping track of levels you beat properly so you'd never get a "beat X levels" achievement, which is almost all of them
    • In my rush to get level 15 in the game, I forgot to fill out the level data. So it would crash because it didn't know what song to load or which graphics to use for the money.
    • It was easier to get the time bonus on the first level you play than any other because I forgot to reset the timer between levels.

These are all fixed, along with a bug where the music would play on the next level even if you had muted it in the options screen. I'll have to fix that saving at the end of a level bug then I'll have a new build for you guys.

9. Silvanis

Nov 2, 2012
    Lots of little(?) bug fixes:
    -fixed issue where music mute wasn't being repeated on subsequent levels
    -fixed achievement notification not showing
    -fixed achievement bug where level based achievements could not be awarded
    -fixed crash when loading level 15 (plist not filled out properly)
    -fixed level timer not refreshing between levels
    -fixed issue where continuing from end of a level would put you in a unrecoverable state
    -added Quit Game button to level end screen

10. kashifraza

kashifraza Active Member

May 6, 2013
    i played it for almost 2 hours, works smoothly. no issues at all. no music or sound though.
    Tested it on iphone 4.

11. Silvanis

Nov 2, 2012
    There's this weird issue that's come up a couple of times where you have to change the volume settings on the iPhone to get sound. Note this isn't the volume controls in the game, but the volume buttons on the device itself. I don't think it's something I can control (otherwise an app could override your volume settings).

12. Silvanis

Nov 2, 2012
    New build that adds full iPhone 5 support. Now all screens and menus should look good on the iPhone 5. In game menus are centered, while the title screen and any menus from the title screen have been tweaked to resize properly. The game UI has been adjusted on iPhone 5 to make the pause button and traps easier to tap on.

13. Living Legend

Living Legend Well-Known Member

May 30, 2013
    The game crashed when I turned off my iPod after beating level 1!

14. shortandnoisy

shortandnoisy Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2012
    UK
    Had a look at the new build, and played about with the sound settings. I turned everything off on level 1, then back on during level 2, but only the sound effects turned back on, even after adjusting the ingame volume and my phones volume.

Edit: have tried to replicate it but haven't managed

15. Silvanis

Nov 2, 2012
    #95 Silvanis, Jul 2, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2013
    I think I've tracked down most of the sound issues. The sound levels weren't being set up until you entered the options screen; they're now initialized at launch if they haven't been before. That should fix the lack of sound when you first start playing.

Also fixed a couple of memory leaks and a really obscure crash bug (if you bought lives from the store on the game over screen when you had quit the game before it would probably crash)

16. Silvanis

Nov 2, 2012
    1.0.4 was submitted to Apple. Barring any major problem, this should be the version that goes live on July 11th. I will continue to work on any issues you guys find and add levels 16-20 for a post launch patch (1.1). So this should be the last build I upload for a couple of days while I pass out somewhere ;)

17. Silvanis

Nov 2, 2012
    Spoke too soon. Level 15 doesn't load properly, so I have a new build submitted to Apple that fixes that and issues with restarting at level 1 once you beat level 15. I'm going to leave the beta build alone for now though and give you guys a chance to find anything else.

Another issue I'm aware of but haven't fixed yet is the map scrolling is a little odd. It's generally half a tile short when moving to the bottom or top of the map, but only the first time. It's really noticeable on levels 11-15 because of the sign cuts off of the giant store.

18. Living Legend

Living Legend Well-Known Member

May 30, 2013
    I was just playing it when my 20% battery warning popped up. I pressed dismiss then the game stood there for about 7 seconds frozen, then it crashed. I was on level 5 too. ( I don't know if that would help)

19. Silvanis

Nov 2, 2012
    Crash log says it was the analytics code that crashed. I can't tell if the battery warning triggered an upload or if the warning interrupted one.

Going to be hard to reproduce that one :)

20. Silvanis

Nov 2, 2012
    Time to get 1.1 going, so here's the first build towards that:
    -Corrupt Cop, Rookie, and Fat Cop now see Robber from farther away (+1 tile)
    -added effects to Chasing, Attracted, and Scared emotes
    -score now turns green when you reach a high score
    -fixed bug where inspector tile on minimap would not update
    -added level 16
    -Flurry analytics now tracks more things: cops subdued, time spent, score, and if you died in each level