Looking for a good RPG

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Duivs, Jan 8, 2015.

1. Duivs

Duivs Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2013
    Guess what? Classified.
    Classified.
    Hey everyone, I'm looking for a good RPG with the following qualities:
    - fun
    - can level up/add attributes
    - doesn't have massive paywalls
    - doesn't require EXTREME grinding
    - no unnecessary wait timers
    - preferably doesn't require internet

I can't seem to find one that fits the bill, and I'm really craving some RPG goodness!
    If anyone could suggest some good picks it would be much appreciated :D

2. modus_ataraxia

modus_ataraxia Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2015
    Alright, buds. I got one for you. I was looking everywhere for a good action rpg. I'd find ones that looked great with good gameplay, but were online only. Then I'd find ones that could be played offline, but had huge paywalls. Then I found even more that didn't have terrible iap, but the gameplay didn't hold up.

I've only played CrimsonHeart for a few hours, but so far, it's the only one that has sold gameplay, unobtrusive iap, and can be played offline (after one initial connection). I'll let you know my final thoughts once I've gone through it, but you should at least check it out.

3. Duivs

Duivs Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2013
    Guess what? Classified.
    Classified.
    ^ downloading now!
    It looks pretty good :)
    Have you ever played Inotia? How does it compare to that?

4. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Aralon and Ravensword might be a bit old now but they're amazing RPG's and well worth playing

5. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    It depends on what you're looking for, but the Avadon games and related ones from Spiderweb are usually a great choice if you're into old school RPGs. They work great on a tablet and will keep you busy for 50+ hours.

6. modus_ataraxia

modus_ataraxia Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2015
    From what I've played so far, the games are pretty similar. You're still going to get broken engrish and bad text wrapping, but one of the biggest differences that I'm pleased with is omnidirectional movement. It's a lot better than being stuck with a virtual d-pad.

Sometimes I'm getting stuck finishing a combo while facing the direction I started in instead of the one I want, but that's only a minor gripe.

7. Echoen

Echoen Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    USA
    #7 Echoen, Jan 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
    Zenonia 3 but it's busted on iOS 8

Edit: the good Zenonia games aren't even available on the app store anymore (1-3). Same story for Dungoen Hunter 1 and 2.

8. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Any type of RPG you looking for in general? JRPG, KRPG, western RPG, puzzle RPG, roguelike, first person, dungeon crawler, realtime, turnbased, casual, hardcore, premium, freemium?

9. Duivs

Duivs Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2013
    Guess what? Classified.
    Classified.
    #9 Duivs, Jan 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
    Oh I should have specified, I'm looking for something like 9th Dawn or Battleheart Legacy, but as long as it's enjoyable I'm willing to try it.
    I'm not really into the puzzle ones haha.
    Having an 'analogue stick' would be nice too, since being restricted to a D-Pad can be frustrating.
    Some quests would be nice, but I figure those would be in most if not all.
    Thanks again :)