Looking for a developer to create Game

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Tl507362, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Tl507362

Tl507362 Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Hi All,
    I love itouch/iphone games, and thought of a great football game that I used to play as a kid. It is not a action type moving game, but rather a card game. I think it would be very addictive and fun game for the iphone and itouch. The only problem is that I'm not programmer. I would be willing to give my idea with photos to a willing programmer with good graphic skills for a small piece of the pie. Contact me at tl507362 at yahoo.com if you are interested. I hope you don't consider this spamming, because I really think we would all benefit from this game. If done right, it will be in the top 10 games if you are an American football lover!
    Tracy

2. RaiderRich721

RaiderRich721 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2008
    Self Employed! Love being my own boss! This is the
    CALI
    Football

Love football! I hope you find a good dev and get that game going! Good Luck!

3. RM imagery

RM imagery Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Photographer (interiors, architecture, abstract ar
    Long Island, NY
    r u talking about Strat-o-matic?

4. Tl507362

Tl507362 Member

Jan 27, 2009
    what is strat-o-matic? This is not the vibrating football game played as a kid, it is more of a card game that you control the plays. More from a coaching stand point, but very exciting the way the game is laid out.

5. ipressbuttons

ipressbuttons Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    All you have is an idea, no offence but this is true and you can not really get any money as it's the actual developer and programmer that "should" get the money

6. Tl507362

Tl507362 Member

Jan 27, 2009
    That is true, but I actually own the game, and would have to send photo's and explain the rules, and give the ideas of what the graphics and gameplay would look like. Basically, I'd create the psydo code for the game, and a developer would program. So because I would be doing the program analyst work, I should get paid for it. The only thing I don't know how to do is create code for the iphone/itouch. I could learn, but it would take too long. I don't want much for the game, just a small piece, and the ability to test and debug as necessary to make sure it is 100% what I envision. Hope that makes a little more sense.

On a separate note, it is not the Strat-O-Matic game.
    Tracy

7. HouseTreeRobot

HouseTreeRobot Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2008
    Living.
    UK
    #7 HouseTreeRobot, Jan 27, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2009
    It's true that all she has is an idea, but that doesn't mean she cannot create the game still. Do you think managers, directors, producers shouldn't profit from making games? They put in work too...

Tracy, if you don't have the skills to create the game yourself you need to approach this differently;
    - Form a company
    - Get a company developers liscense from apple (programmers can then access the apple sdk etc if they don't have their own liscence.)
    - Create a fully comprehensive game design for programmers to work with. (One of the worst things in the world is to say "make this game in a week, thanks")
    - Hire programmers and/or artists (you'll probably find most programmers aren't the best artists). Pay them a salary, or negotiate a contract (say, a fee for the entire project, or per hour/per day charges).
    - Follow the progress of development, review what they are producing, make changes as you see fit. (producers job)
    - When the programmer has finished, get it tested (you may need to hire bug testers etc)
    - When all the bugs are ironed out, submit it to the app store
    - Hopefully the game will make enough money to cover your company costs, programmer/artists pay, taxes and then you can then keep the profit. :)

Good luck!

8. Tl507362

Tl507362 Member

Jan 27, 2009
    I was trying to avoid creating a company for this 1 game. I'd rather work with a company that already has programmers and artists on the payroll. I would just create the design and work with them as a contractor. I already have a full time job, and own my own company, and really don't have time to do this. It is more of a hobby, and think the game would be really successful. I could be wrong, but if the right person came along and was willing to give me a small piece of the pie, I'd pitch it to them with an agreement that I own the idea. I know there has to be developers out there looking for apps to build. I just need to find them. Thanks for the feedback, it is much appreciated!
    Tracy

9. brof

brof Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    Software Architect
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Hi, just wondering... when you wrote "I own the game" do you mean you own the IP, the license or are you the creator of the card game in the first place? This should be more clear....

cheers,

10. CommanderData

CommanderData Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Absolutely true. Is this a card game of your own invention? Maybe one that you devised as a child and nobody else played? I would guess this to be the case since nobody has jumped in saying "yeah I remember playing that card game as a kid".

I would speculate that you'd be looking at an agreement which provided a *very* small fee upfront (more like a token payment of $100 I'd imagine due to the risks for the developer- he or she spends their time on your idea instead of one of their own), perhaps with a couple of payment milestones should the game reach 1,000 sales, and maybe another at 5,000 or 10,000. Those payments could be some pre-agreed upon value or percentage. These would not be very high because of the pricing tiers and Apple's cut...

A card game, no matter how well done is probably going to have to be priced in the low tiers ($0.99 to $2.99) in order to get much of any sales at all. In that range you're looking at $0.70 to $2.10 per unit after Apple's 30% take. The dev needs to sell 143 copies at $0.99 just to make up the upfront fee, never mind compensate for all their time put into it. That 143 copies could be reached quickly, but a lot of apps appear and sell an average of 10-15 copies a day before fading into the background.

You can see based on this, that 1,000 copy milestone might take the better part of the year to reach and would probably get you another $200 for a $0.99 app (after Apples take and the payback on the initial $100 outlay you'd be practically splitting the first $700 made).

In paid apps, a lot of apps never reach the 1K sales mark, fewer still hit 10K, and next to none of them ever get to that much floated around 100,000+ units that people like to base their math on. Everyone thinks writing for the iPhone is like winning the lotto... In reality it actually is. Thousands of people play, only a few win big. :D

Note I have not specifically seen or signed any agreements like this, but with all the ideas I have right now it's probably the only way I'd consider taking on someone else's design. I certainly would not outlay any serious money up front with the visions of a best-seller.

11. Tl507362

Tl507362 Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Yes, very good point. I should have been more clear on this. It is a board game from the 1940's that I own. It is not sold anymore, but was really a fun game. It will work particularly good for an iphone/itouch. I just need to verify the licensing issue with the maker, but don't think that will be a problem. The game can be changed slightly to overcome any patent issues, and since it was done in the 40's & 50's, I think the patent is out of time anyway. Any takers out there interested? I think if you heard what the game is, and saw pics, you'd agree that this would be a very popular game. There is nothing currently out now on football, and I would love to play this game on an iphone/itouch.
    Tracy

12. CommanderData

Patreon Indie

Patents are not your issue, those would have expired in prior to 1970 for anything patented in the 1940s... You should be more interested in copyrights. If they renewed their copyright when given a chance in the 1960s they will have the rights to it until into the 2030s...

I'm pretty sure I know the game and company you speak of, but I won't spoil it here for you. It does look fairly interesting, a nice blend of board game and cards. If they would be willing to give up the rights for peanuts (or they let the copyright lapse in the 1960s) you might be able to make something unique out of it!

You didn't seem phased by my frank market analysis either, does that mean your desire to play this game again on the iPod is strong enough that you don't care if it is a moneymaker for you? If so, then you may find a taker...

13. Tl507362

Tl507362 Member

Jan 27, 2009
    All good points, and I hope you know the game I'm referring to. I'm actually not that interested in making lots of money, and really could care less. I'd rather just find a good developer willing to take this on as a side project, and willing to give me a piece of the pie if it takes off. In fact, no money would change hands unless the app gets to be a top app. Other than that, I really just want to play the game on my iphone. It would make it even more interesting if you could play over the internet with another player any where in the world. My brother and I used to play when we were kids, and I'd love to be able to play now over the internet. Would you be interested in developing this? I don't think this would be a problem with the copyright because it wouldn't be named the same as the original game. But I'm not 100% sure.
    Tracy

14. CommanderData

Patreon Indie

Well I like football, and game design, and I am a registered developer. My schedule is pretty tight this spring, but let's talk about it a bit more. I'll send you an e-mail.

15. RtodaJ

RtodaJ Active Member

Dec 31, 2008
    I have an idea

Someone needs to make CURVEBALL that flash 3d pong game