Looking for a budget app.

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by plaidman, Feb 17, 2009.

1. plaidman

plaidman Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Not something too complicated, just for tracking my personal income/spending.

I've looked at a few on the various review sites, and like the look of Spend and Pennies most. I figured I'd ask here if anybody else has experience with these or other budget apps and could comment on stability, features, etc.

2. bmcvey

bmcvey Active Member

Dec 31, 2008
    DO NOT waste your time with Pennies. I've used that one and the it's been nothing but a pain. It doesn't allow you to edit the date of transactions and the CSV export has never worked. The developer also doesn't do much about posting update information or respond to support questions. It looked good early on, but is nothing but a disappointment.

There's a free and very simple app called "Balance" which is just like a basic check registry. It's simple, but actually pretty good.

My first choice though is Squirrel. It won a design award I believe at MacWorld this year. It's a free Sidekick app to their desktop client, but if you have a Mac, it's a really great combo to keep track of your accounts and then sync them back up over a wifi connection.

One other option to consider if you use a larger bank is to scope out "Mint.com". This is a FREE web-based finance tracking service with a sidekick app. You can track accounts and investments, but it tends to be limited to more of the larger chain banks.

3. plaidman

Nov 3, 2008
    #3 plaidman, Feb 17, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
    Thanks for the feedback, I'll avoid Pennies.

Unfortunately, I don't have a Mac so Squirrel won't work for me, and I'm at a smaller credit union and I don't really like the idea of storing my financial information on a website if I don't need to - so Mint.com isn't an ideal option.

Balance looks nice and easy to use as a balance register, but I'd like to categorize my expenses, and have an overview of the categories' totals for each month.

4. Danillson

Danillson Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Try Ledger!
    It's a little complicated but extremely powerfull!

5. plaidman

Nov 3, 2008
    Ledger makes my brain explode. I understand the concept but my brain doesn't work like that. I decided to go with Budget (dunno how I missed it before) as it fits my needs perfectly.

Thanks for the input folks!

6. Canuck

Canuck Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2008
    Please give us some feedback after using it for a while. I would like to hear how it compares to iExpenseIt

7. plaidman

Nov 3, 2008
    First day impressions, I spent a few hours setting up categories, entering purchases from February, and tinkering around with the export options, recurring purchases, etc. It crashed a few times, but I've come to expect that given the iphone's lack of memory, and the amount of time I spent switching between screens, and Balance recovered nicely afterward. Shorter sessions were stable.

The interface is pretty intuitive but some of the options - budget type, recurring transactions specifically - could be set up in a more intuitive place in my opinion, but setting up the categories, purchases, and budgets were easy to figure out.

Budget doesn't offer a WiFi export/backup option like iXpenseIt does, so if you don't have an email account set up, you won't be able to use the backup/export feature. I'm not sure if iXpenseIt offers transaction sharing, but balance allows you to 'synch' between two iphones (again, via email) if you share a budget with someone else and only keep track of your own purchases.

Something I really like that the demo of iXpenseIt doesn't offer (I think it's not in the full version either) is the ability to enter actual income per month as well as the expected income. I'm paid on commission, so my paycheck fluctuates. If my income is greater than expected, it shows up on the overview as extra leeway with expense categories. This feature is what really drew me to Budget over iXpenseIt.

8. Bhizzle

Bhizzle Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2009
    i think you'll have more luck using a comp program. just my 2c

9. Canuck

Canuck Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2008
    But it's a lot easier to just pull out your iPhone/Touch as soon as you leave the store. I tried doing an expense thing on the computer once but I just couldn't be bothered to stick with it. It's a lot easier when you're carrying your expense program around with you in your pocket all the time.

10. djflippy

djflippy Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    I'm looking for a budgeting app that syncs to a desktop version from multiple iPhones, so that my wife and I can both input purchases on-the-fly. I picked up [app]Day Bank[/app], because the app store reviews of [app]Cha-Ching[/app] scared me off. If anyone has any other suggestions, I would love to hear them.

Thanks.

11. soup

soup Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    yep i'm looking for one where you can vary your income ie not fixed each month

any suggestions ?
    does budget do that ?

12. belas

belas Member

Dec 20, 2008
    gotexpenses

13. ian1969uk

ian1969uk Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    I use Spend and would highly recommend it. Very easy to use but includes essential things like recurring expenses. Nice and cheap too, and regularly updated.

I tried a few and this is most definitely the best.

14. organerito

organerito Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2008
  15. ValentineNicole

ValentineNicole Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2009
    I also use Spend. It's a fantastic application - you can put budgets for each individual spending catagory (rent, utilities, food, entertainment -whatever you want!), transfer funds between the catagories, and the amount you allot to each is set by you, when you need to set it. I LOVE it.

16. soup

soup Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    going back to the previous question can you have a varied income by spend ?

17. ValentineNicole

Aug 8, 2009
    Sure. You don't set an income; you simply put in the amount of your budget set for each thing. You can reset the budgets at any time. :)

My income is varied (I don't work set hours, and I'm not on salary), and I have no trouble using it to keep track of my spending.

18. soup

soup Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    ok and at this price i'll check this out :)

thanks

19. ValentineNicole

Aug 8, 2009
    No prob. Also, I just stumbled upon WalletWiz at promodispenser.com. I can't recommend it or say if it's any good, as I haven't tried it - but they have promo codes left (as of 9pm eastern, today). Might as well check out a free app if possible, right?
    http://promodispenser.com/index.php?o=appinfo&id=61

20. sparkles61785

sparkles61785 Member

Jul 23, 2009
    PocketMoney

PocketMoney is amazing!!!