LogMeIn Ignition vs Jaadu VNC

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Prab, Aug 11, 2009.

1. Prab

Prab Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
  2. unconnected

unconnected Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    London, UK
    What are you requirements mate?

I've only got LogMeIn Ignition and for my needs it's been really useful (helping out family, setting up torrents etc from home), it was a natural purchase as I'm currently a LogMeIn Pro customer and I really like the interface and somewhat slimline protocol (VNC has always been a bit chunky on bandwidth for my liking).

Obviously the only downer with LogMeIn is that if you needed to get a remote desktop of a Linux box you'd be out of luck, whereas that VNC app you've linked to is multi-platform (LogMeIn does support MacOS X I believe).

I'm thinking the VNC solution is probably more flexible and if that's what you're after you'd be best of with that, but I guess it goes without saying that if you're a LogMeIn user you're best off sticking with Ignition (plus the ability to control your machines from just a web browser is what sold me on LogMeIn in the first place).

Good luck!

3. NRunner

NRunner Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Do you pay a one time fee with the LogMeIn app? Or are there annual fees?

4. Prab

Prab Moderator

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    Not much requirements actually. I have a Windows box at work and at home I'm on a Mac.

I had a feeling that both LogMeIn and Jaadu VNC will pretty much offer me the same features. But rather than flipping a coin, or going for the cheaper option (Jaadu VNC), I was hoping to get some comparitive impressions from TA :)

And thanks for the input! Does the free LogMeIn account also come with web-access remote desktop?

5. unconnected

Jul 21, 2009
    London, UK
    Yeah the free LogMeIn account is amazing, the only additional stuff you get with pro is things like connecting your desktop to a remote printer and file sharing/file transmission i.e. pulling or pushing files to and from your remote machine. But once you're in control of your box you can do stuff like email it to yourself if it's a document or create a VPN for sharing larger files.

The web browser based experience is excellent, but obviously being able to use your phone to do it wherever you are is pretty liberating stuff.

6. unconnected

Jul 21, 2009
    London, UK
    The iPhone app is a one off fee and you can connect to as many free logmein accounts or computers as you like. Logmein pro is an upgrade you perform on an individual client which opens up an increased feature set like file transfer. The pro upgrade is a yearly fee.

7. Prab

Prab Moderator

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    Thanks mate ;)

Now looking for some comparisons from Jaadu VNC users :)

8. septimus

septimus Member

May 13, 2009
    VNC is pretty good from the iPhone, the interface is a little clunky though. Screen response over 3G isn't astonishing but workable. If you have Vista or Windows 7 you may run into problems running a VNC client on those PC's. UAC hates VNC. OSX it certainly works better with as it is built in.

I currently use VNC and RDP apps on the iPhone, and to be honest I would love to replace them with something else, so this thread has been very useful. :)

9. hkiphone

hkiphone Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2008
    mochaVNC lite was just fine for me when onnecting to a mac mini on 1024x768 resolution, but really struggles on 24" iMac with it's huge 1920x1200 res. Often crashed citing memory issues, despite using Free Memory to unload 40MB.

Just had a glance at the App Store. jaadu VNC claims that it can handle dual cinema display resolution of 5120x1600, which Ignition can't (his words, not mine!). Also claims to allow local LAN control of your laptop, without needing interet connection.

"unconnected", could you help verify the latter claim? Does Ignition require full Internet connection to remote control a LAN PC?

10. CommanderData

CommanderData Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Yes it does. Everything that logmein does has to go out to *their* servers and then back to your computer. Even if your sitting in the same room that computer is in, your control traffic goes out of the iPhone to the internet, to logmein, then back to that PC.

Jaadu VNC and RDP are straight connections to the computer you want to control. Which makes them very fast if you're all on the same WiFi link. I also use them with remote VPN connections to businesses over 1000 miles away from me without issue. Great for fixing problems on the go.

Oh, and Jaadu does handle large desktops better than any other app I have used so far. :D

11. Prab

Prab Moderator

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    Wow... thanks for the input guys... :D

So far it seems Jaadu VNC is the winner here :D It runs faster on LAN (no need for internet connection) and it handles large screen resolutions (mine is 1920 x 1280) better.

I mean, LogMeIn has other great features (web-based remote access, file access) but you have to get the paid yearly subscription to get those features. If I understand correctly, the free LogMeIn account basically just allows you to use LogMeIn Ignition.

Anyone else with pros for LogMeIn Ignition? :)

12. unconnected

Jul 21, 2009
    London, UK
    Yeah it's always a bit of a bummer that LogMeIn requires use of their servers, but the way I look at it is that if I'm on the same LAN then I'm either close to another terminal or laptop anyway :)

Regarding the free account, easier if I copy pasta from their site:

[​IMG]

LogMeIn ignition is just the client and doesn't care if it's talking to a Pro or a Free account.

One of the killer features for me is the way that LogMeIn uses UCP punching to get through firewalls, which makes it a breeze to setup on my familys machines without having to explain to them what a firewall is and how to configure it.

And just to clarrify, from personal experience LogMeIn doesn't have any problem with my 2560x1600 display or dual 1920x1080 displays and will either show them natively or scale them. On the iPhone's ignition client, it scales it to full screen (on the iPhone) and then you can pinch to zoom in.

Question for the people who've used the VNC apps on the iPhone - how does it handle encryption? Do you need to use a VPN or SSH tunnel?

13. Prab

Prab Moderator

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    Thanks for the image :)

hmmm.... LogmeIn ignition does look tempting too now lol

14. djflippy

djflippy Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    LogMeIn 4-hour sale - $20

App info is currently processing and/or the app is not yet fully available for sale on the US App Store.

15. Ryoma

Ryoma Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2009
    I got jaadu some time ago, it was on sale for 4.99 best purchase I've done on the appstore

It supports all the mayor vnc encodings, and support some pretty nifty things like auto-rotate with the iphone accelerometer touchscreen interface which works much better than the virtual mouse. it also features a full keyboard. and the ability to turn off the screen and use the iphone as a virtual touch-pad.

its got some remotes built in for presentations, and media playing.
    overall its a really complete package. if you run the jaadu connect its free of configuration on the mac, and fairly easy on windows.

it works quite acceptable on 3g speeds.

but I don't know the other program so I can't compare.

still its hard to think whats missing from jaadu short of being able to stream media to the iphone.

16. MrPenguin9

MrPenguin9 Active Member

Jul 21, 2008
    Can either of them (or both of them) turn on your computer if it's off?

Thanks

17. Prab

Prab Moderator

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    Yeah... I wish I got it when it was 4.99 :(

Mr Penguin:
    And about turning the computer on when its off, I dont think jaadu vnc or LogMeIn ignition are able to do that. At least their app descriptions do not mention any such feature.

What you are looking for is a software that can send a wakeonlan signal. Im not sure if there's any iPhone app that does that. A quick search on iTunes for "wake on lan" shows several apps, but I dont have any experience in using any of them.

18. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    Nope; you will need one of these apps.

19. Menneisyys

Menneisyys Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008
  20. waylandchin

waylandchin New Member

Oct 26, 2009
    yikes

warn us next time your link starts up itunes.